My son has just been offered a place at wecan eip program at pathlight
After waiting less than 2 months. We would like to find out about any
Feedback on this program. He is currently on 5 times daily aba/vb therapy
And also 3 times integrated private preschool. Accepting this offer would
Meant that we have to cut down his aba to 3 times. I am in a dilemma as I am
Worried aba hours may not be enough for him to have
A positive outcome and also if he will be confused by the different
Styles of teaching. Understand that pathlight uses teacch method
Which involves some visual aid while aba do not advocate this.
Can someone please give me some good advice? I have to reply to
Pathlight soon. Thank you !

ping26

I'll say go for it.

If ARC accepts your child, your child does have "easier access" to Pathlight school if he has difficulties in mainstream pri school.
And possibly Eden School as Pathlight runs both schools.

From what I know, the queue for higher-functioning kids is short. The wait is abt 2-3 mth, like what you mentioned.
Historically, selected kids do well in their programme, ie they must think your child can do well; otherwise the wait may be 12 mth or forever.

ARC/Pathlight does require close family/parent support.

There may be adjustment problems. You will have to see if your child can cope with 2 methods of teaching. Asperger or high-functioning kids do better with a mix of approaches. ABA-based curriculum is recommended for children with more severe behv issues or who are at pre-communicative stage.

I tend to think that any child, not just ASD, who is uncommunicative and requires full supervision in daily self-help may benefit from intensive ABA-type of curriculum. It is a very structured form of teaching.

cobbie

Hi,
My son, 3yo , has underwent intensive Aba for 8 months
Now and has proceed from non verbal to speaking in 2 words now.
He is still not independent with self help skills yet as we have been
Focusing on his speech so far. He has mild autism, meaning he does not have
Behavioral issues except visual stimming and speech delay.
He is quite happy and friendly little boy with a sunny personality.
I am not sure if he is considered higher functioning since his speech is
Quite delayed. But I do have concerns if he is ready to adapt to different
Styles of teaching now. My initial plan was for him to do one more year of
Aba to improve his speech and thereafter proceed to wecan. While I am very keen
On wecan, the timing is not right. I think he still needs a more structured
Learning environment now. If I reject their offer now, will it be more difficult for him to
Enter next time?

cobbie

Hi Ping,

Thanks for your advice. After much deliberation, we have decided to take up their offer. We would still continue with his daily aba but sadly, we have to withdraw him from his preschool for the time being. We just do not have the time and also money to do everything. Wecan fees are not cheap ( in fact more ex than pte preschool ) , I am not sure if we will be entitled to any ARC subsidies though and they are payable even during school breaks !!! It is financially draining to have a special needs child in singapore where the government help is pathetic as compared to other first world countries. I am praying hard for more good news from PM Lee after his NDP speech. We can't never be truly first world if our children are left behind in the rat-race. if government do not takes the lead, then we can't never foster a culture that is accepting of such kids. The numbers are climbing and they have to nip the problem in the bud now.

ping26

Hi,
My son, 3yo , has underwent intensive Aba for 8 months
Now and has proceed from non verbal to speaking in 2 words now.
He has mild autism, meaning he does not have
Behavioral issues except visual stimming and speech delay.
He is quite happy and friendly little boy with a sunny personality.
I think you should try speech therapy. Since your boy doesn't sound too difficult, I am hopeful the ST can handle him.

A good ST can do it twice as fast for a cooperative child. ie u can expect a child to move from non-verbal to sentences in 6 - 9 mth at 1x/wkly session! U can ask the ABA therapist to focus on other areas. Personally, I don't take 8 mth to elicit speech too.

I'm thinking Bubblebee, maybe... I can't list the unsuitable STs here.

cobbie

Hi,
Actually we have started off with speech therapy when he was 2yo but the therapist was mainly teaching him to sign which I do not quite like. He was then at a pre-communicative stage ie he cannot verbally imitate and has limited sounds. But aba has taught him to mand for things while previously he would just tantrum and he is now able to echo after me which made teaching language much easier now. My son is quite slow in speech so he has to do it intensively and with reinforcement, otherwise he won't even open his mouth.
Each kid on the spectrum can be quite different.
For him, I don't think one time a week speech therapy, frankly, is going to make him speak.
I spent almost a few months just to get him to mand for his cereal correctly. Speech to him just does not come easily. This is just our personal experience.

ping26

thought u might want to know AAS's programme

AAS/ACC
IEP from AAS (sample) | Ping Special Education

Their IEP can be customised for children with mild to severe delays but it is not enough if a child requires daily intervention which AAS does not provide.

Pathlight School (P1 prep - kids r supposed to be in K2 or a bit older)
Pathlight School P1 Prep programme | Ping Special Education

I don't have the latest ARC programme cos I don't take ASD kids anymore. Anyway, most parents jump at ARC's offer. It has good programme for high-functioning kids.

cobbie

Hi,
Thanks! I did good feedback about AAS too but it is just too far from my place and I stay in the central so makes sense to choose wecan. We went for their needs assessment and based on that, they have offered him a place for paired therapy. I really hope everything works out fine as he has to sacrifice his integration nursery class to go there. We just can't fit in everything so something gotta give here. I believe aba has helped him reach a higher functioning level and he is mild to start with, except for speech. I am also intending to bring him to once a week speech therapy after hearing you. Guess we just have to try everything and I also think he is more ready now to receive speech therapy as he is more compliant and verbal as compared to one year ago.
Anyhow, thank you so much for your info and advice. If you don't mind me asking, can you pm me where you are working as a speech therapist?
Have a nice day!

cobbie

Hi ping,

U mentioned bumblebee? Can you recommend me any good ST ?
I currently have some balance sessions from a quite renowned therapy center and I hope to know more about good ST so I have more options later.
Can you pm me ? Thanks much !

ping26

hey, I'm not a speech therapist. I do educational therapy & communication disorders. I used to do ABA-curriculum and verbal behaviour.

Will PM u later.

If your boy imitates words well, AAS/ARC programme may be "good enough". If he has a bit of articulation difficulties or apraxia (muscle coordination difficulties), then your boy may require speech therapy as most behaviour therapists don't know anything about speech musculature.

We use a lot of pictures and words in teaching language - basic & common sentence/phrase structure. It works well for any child with no speech. But the child must be able to understand pictures or be able to read (mainly kids with ASD). But most behaviour therapists don't excel in teaching higher order language skills (eg asking question, narrating stories). You just have to switch to a speech therapist at the right time. Anyway, most speech therapists can't handle ASD kids when they are first diagnosed. No point wasting precious dollars. I only know of 2 STs who can do that but that man's fee is super expensive. It's much cheaper & faster to go to a behaviour therapist first.