Baby refused to sleep at night!

pkshl

lately my 6mth old gal refused to sleep at night. every night at 9pm after milk she will sleep, den wake up 1hr later, after that she will refuse to sleep, no matter how we coax or pat her to sleep, she refuses to sleep! we tried smoothing music but useless, she gets more awake, massage her also no use, warm bath also no use. & she can go on being awake until 3-5am den she will want to sleep.

we thought she might be teething but no signs of tooth yet, even we use finger to feel her gum also cant feel any tooth yet. my hubby said if she is teething sometimes will ve fever, drooling or get cranky but all these doesnt apply to my baby! she is awake & smiling, she just wants to play & refuse to sleep.

any parent encounter this b4?

according to my mil who takes care of her during daytime. my gal does not sleep much during daytime. early morning after i bring her over, my gal will sleep from 8am to sometimes 11am or 12noon , wake up den never sleep liao, after that evening time sometimes she will want to sleep, but its time for me to bring her home, by that time she is feeling sleepy but she wont sleep until we reached home, she drink millk, which is 9pm, den she will sleep, after that she's awake until 3-5am, refusing to sleep even after i feed her milk at 12.30am.

Last edited:

pixie

Have you just started bringing her to your mum-in-law's place? My suspicion is that as she is in a new environment (ref to your mother-in-law place), she is still not used to it and so she stays awake in the afternoon. This change might take a while before she goes back to her normal routine; as you know each baby behave differently. So a little bit of patience is needed :)

Next, do you give your baby girl a bath or cleaning up before bedtime? Try cleaning her up once you brought her home. Some babies needs to feel refreshed and relaxed after having their body cleaned. However, do try not to bathe her too late! Just in case she is wide awake after the wash, she may not want to sleep.

Hope this helps a little.

pkshl

hi, yes, my baby is already at my mil place since she is 3mths old. Now she is already 6mths+, she is already used to the enviornment there. so im not sure why she's behaving like this, refusing to sleep & keep wanting to play even at wee hrs at night! she's not crying, just smiling, laughing & grabbing things , which we can see is her playing behaviour.

yes, i do clean her when we reached home. but she is more awake each time.

pixie

How about ignoring her and not play with her. Just leave her in the cot/bed and switch off the light and check on her every 10-15 mins to see if she's asleep?

Sometimes, my +3 months baby girl also is active at night after I've cleaned her up and she wants to talks to and play with but knowing that it's her bedtime (between 9-ish to 10-ish pm), I just bring her back to the bedroom and put her in the cot after her last feed and switch off the light (to educate her that it's night time). She will fuss and babbling for 10-15 mins and then doze off.

pkshl

i tried. but no use. when i leave her in her cot, she will roll here & there, get up on her tummy, attempt to grab anything on her bed, 'talk' to herself & will cry for attention. i cannot leave her to cry because her cries will wake my son up, den he will ve difficulty going back to sleep, my son will get angry & cry also.haiz.

ling.er

Lesser day time slp will get tired & will mostly fall aslp easily @ night.. If she wake up in the middle of night did u change her diaper or sometime?? Y nt try give her water or milk .. Mayb she is cold/hot ??

she slp in cot or yaolan ??

pkshl

Lesser day time slp will get tired & will mostly fall aslp easily @ night.. If she wake up in the middle of night did u change her diaper or sometime?? Y nt try give her water or milk .. Mayb she is cold/hot ??

she slp in cot or yaolan ??
she daytime dun sleep much, morning when reach mil hse, she will sleep from 8am-11am/12noon, after that she dun sleep liao, is her activity time. mil coax her to sleep she oso refuse to sleep,duno y, always after she drink milk she very awake de, as if tat bottle of milk is her 'red bull'. haiz..

yes, at night she make noise/wake up, i will change diaper for her. normally also give her milk, if she dun want, den i give her some warm water. she will drink. den coax her to sleep. sometimes she sleep, sometimes she refuse to sleep.

she sleep yaolan at night. sometimes sleep playpen also.

Mummy to Baby V

A few possibilities:

- daytime: 11am/12pm to 9pm sounds like too long a stretch for 6 months old. I read that overtired baby can get hyper and have difficulty sleeping well at night. If possible, have a max 2 hour nap in morning, then another 1+ hour in early / mid afternoon.

It's common to resist nap in the day, baby just wants to play. Caregiver has to create a conducive sleeping environment if baby finds it hard to tune down. E.g. My boy must sleep in a very dim room, else he'd resist nap.

- Your baby may be hyper from the sugar content in the formula milk. How about a low sugar alternative?

All the best!

piggie

lately my 6mth old gal refused to sleep at night. every night at 9pm after milk she will sleep, den wake up 1hr later, after that she will refuse to sleep, no matter how we coax or pat her to sleep, she refuses to sleep! we tried smoothing music but useless, she gets more awake, massage her also no use, warm bath also no use. & she can go on being awake until 3-5am den she will want to sleep.

we thought she might be teething but no signs of tooth yet, even we use finger to feel her gum also cant feel any tooth yet. my hubby said if she is teething sometimes will ve fever, drooling or get cranky but all these doesnt apply to my baby! she is awake & smiling, she just wants to play & refuse to sleep.

any parent encounter this b4?

according to my mil who takes care of her during daytime. my gal does not sleep much during daytime. early morning after i bring her over, my gal will sleep from 8am to sometimes 11am or 12noon , wake up den never sleep liao, after that evening time sometimes she will want to sleep, but its time for me to bring her home, by that time she is feeling sleepy but she wont sleep until we reached home, she drink millk, which is 9pm, den she will sleep, after that she's awake until 3-5am, refusing to sleep even after i feed her milk at 12.30am.
your dotter sounds exactly like mine! Except that my DD is just 1 month old.

She will also refuse to sleep at night and is WIDE AWAKE after her 1 or 2am feed all the way till next morning 7 or 8am den sleep.

Am currently on maternity leave so I am assigned permanent night duty as DH has to work, I can attest the feeling of doing everything I can just to try to coax her to sleep.. but will usually fail, DD will eye big big look at you and not show any signs of tiredness at all...

I am trying to have a routine set in place so that in time to come, she will learn to sleep thru at least longer part of the night before waking up...