sharontankenny

Re: Autism

He is schooling in a special school....the school life would be ended the following year.

The school had arranged for numerous vocational training for students who are able to work under minimum supervision....luckily my son is one of them.

Do you have an autistic child as well?

Angelmum

Re: COMMON Medical term: Autism/Global Dev Delay/Seizures/Cerebral Palsy/Down's Syndr

no, I don't.
Just curious to know autistic's person's future and find out how much our govt and education has done to benefit and help them/us - parants of special needs.

sharontankenny

Re: COMMON Medical term: Autism/Global Dev Delay/Seizures/Cerebral Palsy/Down's Syndr

The problem with Education....a lot of parents only wanted to sent their children to pathlight....which they thinks that pathlight can offer the best education for their child....

However, it is not just education.....cause education are just a routine of stuffs in their life.....

In fact.....they need to learn how to accept changes.....associate them to the society.....which make more senses......

Some special schools in Singapore....emphasis on their development skills instead.....which make more

Jeraldink

My 5 yrs old girl was diagnosed with epilepsy (drop attacks) at age 3 which affects her brain development. Though there was no formal assmt, she was deemed by her childcare centre as having delayed devt. Her childcare centre told us that they want us to downgrade her to nursery next year (she's currently in K1 integrated childcare program - ICCP) I was prepared to let her repeat K1 next yr and if necessary repeat again a year after if she's still not ready. To determine at this age that she's two years delayed is too unfair for her. The way they put across is as if they are doing us a big favor by keeping our girl in k1 this year and they had "go thru thick and thin" to keep her there and if we refuse to downgrade her, then they will withdraw her from their centre if she still fail to perform by end of term 1 when we repeat her inK1 next year. She was very sure that my girl will still not be able to cope with K1 class next year. All these said without a tinge of apathy. It's as if my girl is a commodity to them. Am really questioning if these so called educators are doing it for passion or not!

Anyone have children who had to be delayed for two years in one shot? Is it really advisable?

Btw, my girl had been seeing a neuro and a psychologist at KKH since she was 3 yrs old. Back then, I had already enquired if there was any intervention program that my girl could go to cos I could see my girl's devt milestones was stifled. They say it was too early for any intervention. It was only after I had informed the neuro in july this year that we were asked by her childcare to enrol her in ICCP before he recommends us to put her in EPIIC program. Thinking that there is another channel that my girl could seek help and only to realize that such programs only caters to children till 6 yrs of age and it takes between 6 months to a year to be enrolled. By then my girl would have been 6! Told this to the neuro and asked why he waited this long to recommend her. He just brushed us aside by saying it was too early then and asked us to try nonetheless. Am totally disappointed with drs in KKH and no faith in them now. Have switched to NUH now.

Let me know if any one of you want to try kangen water for your kids. ;) Free. ;)

Angelmum

My 5 yrs old girl was diagnosed with epilepsy (drop attacks) at age 3 which affects her brain development. Though there was no formal assmt, she was deemed by her childcare centre as having delayed devt. Her childcare centre told us that they want us to downgrade her to nursery next year (she's currently in K1 integrated childcare program - ICCP)
Hi!
no formal assessment so is it yr 5 yrs old girl can't complete most of the tasks/work assigned by teacher? how is she coping with K1 studies?
Straightaway downgrade 2 levels to nursery is bit weird. Yours 'graduated' from nursery class or didn't attend any... went straight to K1? Maybe change another K1 centre to repeat?

EIPIC is really for kid below 6. Since u knew she needed intervention, why u didn't consider enrolling EIPIC at 3 + nursery classes .... double boast?

Jeraldink

Hi!
no formal assessment so is it yr 5 yrs old girl can't complete most of the tasks/work assigned by teacher? how is she coping with K1 studies?
Straightaway downgrade 2 levels to nursery is bit weird. Yours 'graduated' from nursery class or didn't attend any... went straight to K1? Maybe change another K1 centre to repeat?

EIPIC is really for kid below 6. Since you knew she needed intervention, why you didn't consider enrolling EIPIC at 3 + nursery classes .... double boast?
She had been with the school since nursery. According to the school she cannot do most of the academic work. We are considering another school and looking for one now.

Only heard about EIPIC from her neuro this year after I checked with him again (for the third/fourth time since start) on availability of intervention for her. Never know existence of such program before that.

I had brought my girl to see a psychologist at KKH since early last year when I suspect my girl got problem. But then again, no mention of such program from psycho. She just recommend my girl to attend speech therapy and occupational therapy offered by KKH at a cost. Not much help as each block only for about 6 sessions (45 min per session) and very difficult to schedule.

Wd have sent her to eipic if i had know abt this from the start. Now too late cos she's gonna be 6 next year and still on waiting list to be enrolled.

Very lost now....had to go on no pay leave to care for her and my newborn who is born with another medical condition. Was a tough decision cos both children's medical cost quite high. Imagine my girl's medicine cost us almost $10 per day. Very strain financially....

Can try to get MP for help. They may have good channels. Try it. ;)

Angelmum

I had brought my girl to see a psychologist at KKH since early last year when I suspect my girl got problem. But then again, no mention of such program from psycho. She just recommend my girl to attend speech therapy and occupational therapy offered by KKH at a cost. Not much help as each block only for about 6 sessions (45 min per session) and very difficult to schedule.

Wd have sent her to eipic if i had know abt this from the start. Now too late cos she's gonna be 6 next year and still on waiting list to be enrolled.

Very lost now....had to go on no pay leave to care for her and my newborn who is born with another medical condition. Was a tough decision cos both children's medical cost quite high. Imagine my girl's medicine cost us almost $10 per day. Very strain financially....

My personal review about KKH is really bad. If you've gone thru my older postings, you would know that I suspected some issues on my girl but KKH assumed they are expert in medical field and shouldn't trust a parent's instinct, doubt their professionalism +years of medical training... simply thought KKH are perfect doctors, won't make any silly mistake.

The truth turned out, my uneasy feeling wasn't ways of trying to make doctors busy for nonthing. During my pregnancy, if KKH don't have so much 'ego', be more attentive (I kept highlighting I had a foetus which died at 8 weeks due to no heart beat) and responsible, I don't have to give birth to my girl and suffer the consequences for LIFE!! We shred tears, what KKH does? Nothing!! We spent more $$ on medical, they earn more, we don't benefit anything. I love my girl but I won't forget how KKH and SMC has treated me, not till the day I die. How to forget KKH pushing away their responsibilities on the ground: "you've no family history' so no detailed tests were carried out during your pregnancy, just normal routine tests". During frustrations (bad times), I really cursed KKH and the doctors for making my whole family suffer. How would I know I wasn't given any detailed test during pregnancy, how would I know there's such a good excuse known as family history?

When my girl was born, at six months old, if KKH didn't continue to act REALLY SMART and turned a total deaf ears to my observations, I would have known my girl has genetic problem (can be diagnosed during pregnancy). They dragged till she was almost 11mths to run detailed test (FISH). After getting the diagnosis, KKH didn't make any amendment, apologise nor change their irresponsible & sickening attitude. They pushed all the reasons for being lazy and 'smart were acts ACCORDING TO MEDICAL GUIDELINES set by Spore Medical Council (our PAP govt). What a powerful sword given by SMC (aka PAP) to slay their way thru.

All I can say is, KKH unable to answer patients' questions nor willing to spare time to go the extra miles (nice n caring doctors are extinct) by providing you some additional info, they expect you to know what to do. KKH Dr have no time for small flies like us. Worst, we're on govt subsidy (C class) not private patients generating high revenues.

Just our luck to die and/or suffer in KKH's hands. They won't compensate you for the results of any of their 'clever' and lazy decisions nor unnecessary emotional stress and medical costs incurred by us. We gave birth to our children so it is our fault to have them. KKH unable to control your bad genes and bad luck. KKH only cares about closing accounts, earning more money .....sparing extra time offering your suggestions n advice is a total waste of their precious time, can be used to see more patients so why need to waste on small flies like us? Surf the internet, ask around yourself like a headless fly ..... sigh

Which EIPIC school are you looking at?
At least yours is Developmental delay so not too 'bad', still can improve and grow like a normal child.
Sad to say, in Spore, when you've child with medical problems, you're on your own. Govt won't spare money for people with no future (my case: MPs and PM see my emails only pretended to get in touch with me then disappeared without offering a feasible suggestion) and trying to drain the country's money. Everything is costly!! It would takes years for Spore to work like western countries, show more compassion, be more caring and understanding.

Feedback to your MP and see what he/she can do. May still end up on your own but at least you tried. Also ring CEL
Both tried a few times, didn't work for me.

Last edited:

Hospitals are known to be blood suckers. In Sg, if you get sick, good luck to you. So, need to lobby MP. Not a fun thingy. ;)

Jeraldink

Share same sentiments with you on drs at KKH. My girl's neuro gave a wrong diagnosis on her type of seizures and prescribed her one medication which MUST NOT be gvn to that particular seizure type. Based on what I've read on seizures, I thought my girl fits the description of that particular seizure. Had told the neuro on my suspicion but he insisted that he's right and went ahead with the medication. True enough, my suspicion proved to be right. But at the expense of my girl's health! Almost immediately after taking the medication, my girl developed another type of seizure. She became stiff and lost bowel control. Guess what the neuro did after I told him..... He just nonchalantly prescribed another medication to control the new seizure and pretend nothing happened on his wrong diagnosis. Luckily, my girl recovered from that new seizure. Otherwise, I would have sued him for medical negligence.

Can only blame on our luck to come across such drs. But I still believe there are drs that are good and sincere at treating patients. Must hv such faith...

Though my girl only have GDD, but her brain is being damaged with every seizures (she has 10 to 20 seizures EVeRYDAY). Plus the tons of medication she's taking which, according to the neuro, slows down her brain devt. At the rate that she's having the seizures, I'm very worried abt how delayed she will be in future if her seizures is still not under control.

Have been referred to AWWA which is nearest to where I stay. Wanted to go metta but they dun accept epileptic children.

That's why some pple say cannot fall sick in sg. Here, money is everything. If you want to go on subsidies, you must really earn peanuts to qualify. And you must suffer from chronic illness to use own medisave. Epilepsy is still not considered chronic even though it's going to be a life long battle for my girl. Sigh!

Will be writing to the minister of health and education and my mp soon. Wish me luck!

Angelmum

Have been referred to AWWA which is nearest to where I stay. Wanted to go metta but they dun accept epileptic children.

That's why some pple say cannot fall sick in sg. Here, money is everything. If you want to go on subsidies, you must really earn peanuts to qualify. And you must suffer from chronic illness to use own medisave. Epilepsy is still not considered chronic even though it's going to be a life long battle for my girl. Sigh!

Will be writing to the minister of health and education and my mp soon. Wish me luck!
I wish u good luck!
Hope KKH has lesser irresponsible and 'smart alec' DRs. Their wrong decisions caused us to suffer for lives, yet we can't do anything to them. No money to sue. DRs know how to save their skins by saying they've adhered to standard medical guidelines, no negligence, no fault ... flawless!!

I assume you stay around Hougang, how about trying Rainbow Centre Yishun Park? Special schools to me are just places to kill time, don't know how they set aside funds to let our children learn and grow every month (everyday or week is something too much to ask from special school and our children). I know my girl is deprived of therapies cos YPS claimed she's good already, no money for more facilities, not enough therapists, etc.

Heard (from one parent in YPS who has transfered to AWWA) AWWA not bad but it is really too far for people living in the West. Also, school doesn't provide transport to west area, bus operator also not keen to provide extended service. Wish AWWA opens another school in the west, with childcare facility so that I don't have to rely on maid. Heard children are trained to be more independent in AWWA.

Last edited:

Jeraldink

Thank you for the well wishes! Is rainbow centre good? AWWA is nearer for us. Am going for screening this afternoon. Will check out that place and see if environment suitable for my girl.

special schools are not well funded and difficult to get teachers trained in this field. Heard that therapist only goes to most govt special schools once a week. I really doubt how much such 'visits' can do for the children. Wd their progress be monitored closely?

Each day passes by without me worrying abt my girl's future and present situation.

Present - which preschool shd she/can she go to now (her childcare centre is withdrawing her if we refuse to downgrade her to nursery)? what else can I do for her? Will this new drug control her seizure? when will she 'grow up'
Future - shd she go mainstream or special school? Will her brain be even more degenerated with each passing day? (10 seizures a day = 10 times damage to brain) Will she be able to look after herself when I passes on.....

Jeraldink

It is good to have 2 kids tho. ;)
Just gave birth to a boy this year. But he also have a medical condition which needs constant monitoring for the next five years at least. Hoping that his condition will be stabilized or even get better with time. Luckily, he does not require constant medication.

Is this good or bad to hv two kids?

wow. didn't know the 2nd one will have a condition. Family history?

Thank you for the well wishes! Is rainbow centre good? AWWA is nearer for us. Am going for screening this afternoon. Will check out that place and see if environment suitable for my girl.

special schools are not well funded and difficult to get teachers trained in this field. Heard that therapist only goes to most govt special schools once a week. I really doubt how much such 'visits' can do for the children. Wd their progress be monitored closely?

Each day passes by without me worrying abt my girl's future and present situation.

Present - which preschool shd she/can she go to now (her childcare centre is withdrawing her if we refuse to downgrade her to nursery)? what else can I do for her? Will this new drug control her seizure? when will she 'grow up'
Future - shd she go mainstream or special school? Will her brain be even more degenerated with each passing day? (10 seizures a day = 10 times damage to brain) Will she be able to look after herself when I passes on.....
Hi, I read ur posts and I felt your pain. I am a preschool teacher and I have a child in my K2 class who has GDD. My centre accepted her when she was 6 years old in 2008. As i was her teacher then, I requested for her to be transferred to Nursery as her milestones are actually at the Nursery level whereby she required more motor development skills and social interactions rather than cognitive n academic skills and was constantly stressed when the class had proper lessons. She moved up to K1 last year and is now in my K2 class again this year and she has since improved alot in her routine skills and social skills. The children in my class were her friends since Nursery and were taking turns to help look after her. Children learn empathy as well.

Though she can't talk, she is able to use gestures/facial expressions and one syllable word to express her needs e.g. more/chou-chou(poo) etc. My goals for her were not academic but more of self-help skills. It also helps alot that her mum is very cooperative and taught her how to take care of herself and how to interact with others. She is attending lessons in MINDS school in the afternoons and is going to continue her lessons there next year when she graduate from my class this yr.

Probably talk to your child's centre principal again and find out what are the teachers' plans for her in the Nursery class. I don't see it as "downgrade" but more of helping ur child cope more effectively at her own learning pace. The teachers should not "force" your child to learn academic skills if she is not ready as it may cause stress and in turn aggravate her seizures.

If you need anyone to listen, u can always pm me. :) I hope everything goes well for u and ur family. Sorry if I babbled too much! :p