Giving Water to a Baby??

Novels

My paediatrican told me not to give any water to my baby until on solid. He said that giving water to the babies means supplement water with milk which will make the babies take in lesser nutrients. My mil also suggest to give water when my baby hiccup but luckily when I told her no n instruction was from dr she is ok with it.

karynn

I always tot that NB does not need water when i was giving him formula but he was too heaty and had many (sort of pimple) growing at his face . I bought him to chi physician and the phy said only when baby is fully on breastfeed they don't need it or else if on formula they need it . Most probably 10ml a day . As formula is quite 'heaty'

lyra

Baby acne is normal. They will disappear when baby is older, around 3-4 months. I was worried too when my baby had pimples. He had it too even though he's on total breastmilk. Never fed him water or believe the 'heatiness' argument. Sure enough, no more baby acne when he's 4 month old.

I always tot that NB does not need water when i was giving him formula but he was too heaty and had many (sort of pimple) growing at his face . I bought him to chi physician and the phy said only when baby is fully on breastfeed they don't need it or else if on formula they need it . Most probably 10ml a day . As formula is quite 'heaty'

karynn

Hi lyra, my boy is current 4months old and he still have heat rash at his face . My mil said is 'internal heat' so have to keep him cool and give him loads of water.

diza

When my baby was a week old, my cousin and auntie told me to give my baby some plain water. I know my baby is thirsty and want BM but how to BF when I have so many ppl in the room! That day, my parents were hosting an event so many ppl came to attend and also to see my baby. Then my aunt gave a passing remark that I'm mean and a heartless mother when I refused to give plain water!!! I was so annoyed but kept quiet.. Then my mom bugged me to give plain water coz baby was having jaundice and so need water to supplement my milk. To shut her off, i gave in but told her to give small amt. Then one day, my mother accompanied me to poly for baby's jaundice check and doctor scolded her for giving plain water to my baby! Since then my mom never give my baby plain water! I gave her the "I told u so" look.

lovepixie

my mum force me to buy a bottle to specifically feed water to baby... she said.. "i also feed you all with water when u were baby what".. my MIL insists on mixing Formula milk and Breast milk together eventhough i intend to give Breast milk only.. i wish there were pamphlets in chinese in simple language that they could read to somewhat educate them about it...

diza

If I'm u, I wouldn't be bothered to supplement with FM if I have enough BM. I will just ignore her comments and requests.. Talk to ur hubby to make ur MIL und.

lovepixie

MIL comes out with the logic if mixing FM and BM together.. baby wont be choosy when weaning off.. hubby listens to his mom

Novels

During my 1st born, I had facing issues with my inlaws about breast feeding too. My inlaws were fine with me latch on but not happy when gave chilled BM to my gal, said will create wind in the stomach, my fil even commented that chilled BM not fresh. When I told my frd about it, she asked me to go and tell my fil that fm more not fresh cos dunno keep for how long in the shelve liao lol. Cos of a lot resistance from them, I told my dr about it and she helped me to explain to my mil about the benefits of BM when I brought my baby gal for check up and purposely asked mil to go with me so dr can talk to her. From that onwards, they never speak any single negative thing about BM. And now with my 2nd one, they fully support and I am still bf, some more exclusive pumping until now when my son is 13 month old :)

cyberie

my bb love water more than milk.. currently 4 months... how much water is acceptable.
She is on half BM and half FM. when she cry.. we feed water and she stop crying.. we remove the water.. she cry again..
but now tat i read tat water is no good for baby.. i am scared

najwee

my bb love water more than milk.. currently 4 months... how much water is acceptable.
She is on half BM and half FM. when she cry.. we feed water and she stop crying.. we remove the water.. she cry again..
but now tat i read tat water is no good for baby.. i am scared[/QUOTE

Your baby could be actually asking for more milk. I do not think at 4 months babies have developed their sense of taste well enough to differentiate between milk and water. As long as their stomach is filled up they are happy.

Maybe you can try to gradually increase her per feed volume and see if she cries less?

cyberie

but now tat i read tat water is no good for baby.. i am scared[/QUOTE

Your baby could be actually asking for more milk. I do not think at 4 months babies have developed their sense of taste well enough to differentiate between milk and water. As long as their stomach is filled up they are happy.

Maybe you can try to gradually increase her per feed volume and see if she cries less?
Thanks!! I will try feeding her milk instead of water..

Kanon

Heard from most advise that if baby is drinking breastmilk, then water is not needed. However, older gen will usually recommend babies to be fed with water...not sure if there is any scientific benefit or not..

lovepixie

yes i learnt that from lactation nurse too.. in fact i took Novel's advice to ask MIL to come in my checkup n ask nurse to explain in Chinese that bm is good etc.. but she rather reluctantly come inside n didnt respond much. :( last night i had a argument with hubby on what nurse suggest.. he suggest that i stop taking all 'western medicine' cos my baby is near jaundice alert level... i have piles from birthing and doc gave stool softener... also i take antibiotics n painkiller for the stitches after delivery.. i felt so angry that he ask me to stop western medicine n only take chinese medicine that his mom advice... so today i'm gonna go see a 'western' doc for my constipation... its getting ridiculous i couldnt poo much after give birth\