fever???

KAmum

Is a temperature of 37.1•C considered as having a fever? Bub won't sleep and she's fidgety so I took her temperature and got quite a shock to see this :/

ast0212

Fever would be 38 degrees. Sometimes babies get a bit hot :) They also are quite difficult at settling in the early weeks...

KAmum

Phew thank you. I read online that if you dont treat fever quickly they can become brain damaged???? :/ scared. Hmm yes she's always kinda hot. Any idea how to cool her down??? :/

Alisa

let yr baby wear light wear, don wear jacket, long pants, with sock and with cap.
Let her drink plenty of water will helps too.

apollo

Fever: 37.5 (armpit thermometer) 37.8 (ear thermometer)

babies usually have higher temperature so it is quite common for them to have temp of 36.9 to 37.3..

KAmum

Alisa:662438 said:
let yr baby wear light wear, don wear jacket, long pants, with sock and with cap.
Let her drink plenty of water will helps too.
errr babies cannot / not advisable to drink water O_O

KAmum

apollo:662442 said:
Fever: 37.5 (armpit thermometer) 37.8 (ear thermometer)

babies usually have higher temperature so it is quite common for them to have temp of 36.9 to 37.3..
okay thank you :eek:

Alisa

errr babies cannot / not advisable to drink water O_O
if yr baby is fully on BM then no water but if on half BM & half formula, better to give water cuz formula is heaty and easily to get sick. I gave my son slip of water when he was 5-6mth old cuz he was having formula in infant care & BM during the night so they will feed water to my son in infant care. Now i gave him about 210ml per day is he can finish cuz he is having running nose and fever few days ago.

KAmum

if yr baby is fully on BM then no water but if on half BM & half formula, better to give water cuz formula is heaty and easily to get sick. I gave my son slip of water when he was 5-6mth old cuz he was having formula in infant care & BM during the night so they will feed water to my son in infant care. Now i gave him about 210ml per day is he can finish cuz he is having running nose and fever few days ago.
ok o.o cuz my girl just turned one month, doctor say advisable to not give water until she's 6 months so I don't know :/

pmcheng

My son has fever and temp keeps swinging up and down. Saw doc yesterday and was given paracetamol and nurofen. My question - do I keep feeding paracetamol until temp stops swinging? I don't anyhow give nurofen cos doc said use only if temp >38.5deg.

Alisa

my colleague told me to feed my son paracetamol 2 more feeding even tho his fever subside but i always never give once his fever is below 38 degree.

Kamum, u should be still breastfeeding yr gal now right? then listen to doc unless you are feeding formula then give sip if water.

KAmum

Alisa:664191 said:
my colleague told me to feed my son paracetamol 2 more feeding even tho his fever subside but i always never give once his fever is below 38 degree.

Kamum, u should be still breastfeeding yr gal now right? then listen to doc unless you are feeding formula then give sip if water.
my breast milk dried up because i didnt feed her for a week due to fever < how is tt even possible lul so she's om formula now. Better still as i hv to go bck to school and all. A sip of water ? okok :)

apollo

It is not advisable to feed babies water. My son was on partial bf and was mainly on FM but we didnt give a single sip of water until he was 5.5mth old when he started semi solid. Pd told us even fully on FM also dont feed extra water cos FM is 95% water alrdy. Imagine babies have very small kidneys and alrdy drink so much milk a day, if still let them drink like additional 100ml of water a day, is consider ALOT for them and their kidneys have to work more.. However, a sip after milk is still okay, but not 2-30ml each time, cos if u accummulate, is alot.. =)

KAmum

apollo:664312 said:
It is not advisable to feed babies water. My son was on partial bf and was mainly on FM but we didnt give a single sip of water until he was 5.5mth old when he started semi solid. Pd told us even fully on FM also dont feed extra water cos FM is 95% water alrdy. Imagine babies have very small kidneys and alrdy drink so much milk a day, if still let them drink like additional 100ml of water a day, is consider ALOT for them and their kidneys have to work more.. However, a sip after milk is still okay, but not 2-30ml each time, cos if u accummulate, is alot.. =)
seee tht was what i heard also but grandma keep insisting i give bby water SO ANNOYING. i give her max 20 ml a day :} will they die if they consume t much water???? Leaving her w my grandma in the day n scared she secretly feed my.girl water

karynn

I did give my son water as if he doesn't consume enough water he will not shit and his heat rash will have alot .

lyra

Too much water will cause electrolyte imbalance in young babies n that's dangerous. You'll need to educate grandma, the main caregiver or show her articles by professionals who say too much water is no good.