'I'll die of pain without an epidural'

vel

for those who manage the pain without epi. any tips beside breathing and trying to put the mind elsewhere? I heard taking laughing gas at interval helps. and also usually when we start feeling the pain is unbearable, actually it usually almost ending. means baby is coming out. is that true? the pain is usually unbearable at around 8cm?

does screaming help ? or doing the go toilet sound "MMMM"

Angeleye

Vel, I did groan in pain when the contractions are strong and at close interval.

I choose not to have epi. I ask for pain relief injection and use gas...

mskyliee

Hmmm. I went thru labour without epi too, but took the laughing gas and pain relief jab. Really glad I drifted in and out of sleep and this was a blessing! Cos the cervix will dilate faster when u are relax. So by the time it's time to push, I had the energy to do so after the nap!

When you know that your contraction is increasing from the reading, you can start using ur laughing gas. Breath in and out hard for about 5 times and it really helps. Though the pain is still there but you will be too high to think about it.

LittleMiss

Hi.. Can the ladies who delivered without epidural share their experience? Will gas suffice? I've had people telling me that the pain is excruciating without epidural.. I'm a little scared as I'm thinking of just going on gas..

Hongyu

I took the laughing gas & a jab (pain relief) was given on my thigh. It totally works for me too.
However a jab will be given to your new born for 'reversal of the effect' of the pain relief jab on your thigh.

felicity

for those who manage the pain without epi. any tips beside breathing and trying to put the mind elsewhere? I heard taking laughing gas at interval helps. and also usually when we start feeling the pain is unbearable, actually it usually almost ending. means baby is coming out. is that true? the pain is usually unbearable at around 8cm?

does screaming help ? or doing the go toilet sound "MMMM"
from my pre-natal class and the midwives advice when i was delivering, don't scream or even 'mmmm'... any sound you make from your mouth will directly reduce the strength you use to push. you only hv this much energy and if you are going to spend some energy vibrating your throat, you won't be able to use all your energy to push. furthermore screaming or even 'mmmm' will give you a sore throat afterward because you are using a lot of strength at your throat uncontrollably. so best thing to do is rem not to make any noise. this is what i learnt from experience, especially with the midwives constantly reminding me not to 'mmmm' cos i was also making some noise initially. hee.

felicity

Hi.. Can the ladies who delivered without epidural share their experience? Will gas suffice? I've had people telling me that the pain is excruciating without epidural.. I'm a little scared as I'm thinking of just going on gas..
i use gas only. i can tell u the pain is indeed excruciating but i survived it. it's not enough to kill us~~ most of our mums, and their mums, and all our foremothers... they nv used epidural. so i convince myself that if they can do it, i can do it too!

but i must say i'm blessed to be in labour for no longer than 5 hours.

vel

i use gas only. i can tell u the pain is indeed excruciating but i survived it. it's not enough to kill us~~ most of our mums, and their mums, and all our foremothers... they nv used epidural. so i convince myself that if they can do it, i can do it too!

but i must say i'm blessed to be in labour for no longer than 5 hours.
that's my sentiment too , that's why I decided to go natural delivery

ast0212

I had my little girl 10 months ago, no epidural, no gas, nothing. It wasn't too painful, I would say more intense than painful. It was manageable. Thank God my whole labour was only 3 hours too and I didn't have tearing or episiotomy. I was supposed to give birth in a bath but she came out too quickly!

I don't know about not making any noise, I grunted and groaned a lot and my throat was fine hehehe

This was my second time without epi so it definitely is possible!! Look, I'm still alive! Haha

elitemind01

I had my little girl 10 months ago, no epidural, no gas, nothing. It wasn't too painful, I would say more intense than painful. It was manageable. Thank God my whole labour was only 3 hours too and I didn't have tearing or episiotomy. I was supposed to give birth in a bath but she came out too quickly!

I dont't know about not making any noise, I grunted and groaned a lot and my throat was fine hehehe

This was my second time without epi so it definitely is possible!! Look, I'm still alive! Haha
Yes, definitely! You can survive without epidural. And epidural have side effects on labor and laboring mother. Mothers are most likely at risk of pelvic problems and it can also decrease the heart rate of the baby. Natural birth is recommended. :)

cookie77

my husband told me on my 3rd pregnancy that i should skip the epidural i need to experience the real labour pain to be a better mother, so i told him that he should give birth in my place instead. he kept quiet.

cookie77

On my first pregnancy... we were deliberating about epidural while waiting for further dilation... We were overseas in this nice small hospital in a rural area. It was about 5am. There was a woman who was in the operating/delivery room and our room was next door. We could hear her panting and pushing... and then she gave this HUGE cry... it echoed throughout the entire ward... and then the roosters started crowing outside the window... My hubby and I looked at each other and we both simultaneously said 'let's go for the epidural!"

miemie

Hahahaha this is funny lah.

On my first pregnancy... we were deliberating about epidural while waiting for further dilation... We were overseas in this nice small hospital in a rural area. It was about 5am. There was a woman who was in the operating/delivery room and our room was next door. We could hear her panting and pushing... and then she gave this HUGE cry... it echoed throughout the entire ward... and then the roosters started crowing outside the window... My hubby and I looked at each other and we both simultaneously said 'let's go for the epidural!"

roudx

my husband told me on my 3rd pregnancy that i should skip the epidural i need to experience the real labour pain to be a better mother, so i told him that he should give birth in my place instead. he kept quiet.

Guys will never understand the pain unless they have been in one, but it is impossible.
So if my hubby said that to me, I would prolly reply him back the same. Every one's tolerance of pain is different. Some can tahan till give birth while some gave up halfway and had to jab epi.
So it's totally not up to us to judge that about " in olden days the women also can!! " . Of cause now given a choice to jab epi or not, rather than in olden days there's no choice but to give birth in pain.

bakergirl

I used an epidural, I think it was a life-saver for me. But I'm just worried of the future side-effects that I may experience :/

Judith

My labour was 36 hours. :( I tahan until 24 hours then use epidural. It was like heaven, like the most wonderful invention. I agree going through the pain would be nice, but if there's a more efficient method if giving birth, why not? By the time I'm supposed to push, I'm exhausted from the pain. Some say epidural causes back pain in the future while some say its due to going through pregnancy. Anyway the only terrible thing is I was vomiting throughout.