introduce solid food to baby

gjchii

hi,
when you introduce solid food to your baby? and what are your first choice of food to be introduce?

this week is the 1st week i introduce solid food to my 6-months old baby. Nestle plain rice paste i choose. 2 teaspoon rice paste is added into every milk feed, then i spoon feed him some semi-solid rice paste that made from 2 teaspoon rice paste, once a day. plan to add one more time spoon feed by next week if he can eat well.

SH74

i start my boy when he's 4+ months old. 1st food is apple puree (homecooked). think abt 4-5 teaspoons. then he wants more. once a day for a few days. aft that, i let him try spinach puree (also homecooked). also once a day for a few days to make sure he's ok w it.

u can go Popular bookshop to read the recipe book called First Foods. for some guide n reference. find it quite useful. 'cause it's based on local context.

CanCanMum

i started giving him at 4m....gave him frisocrem rice cereal...smells and tastes good...until i almost wanted to try one bowl myself....yummy...no wonder my boy loves it...

other times will give puree...basically carrots, papaya, banana, spinach, tomatoes and egg yolk.

from 6m onwards give bb porridge...all homecooked ones.

Rapple

gave Heinz rice cereal to my ger when she was 4mo. then frm 6mo gave her purees...apple, pear, spinach, sweet potato, etc. now planning to start protein purees...n then mix with porridge .

autumn82

gave Heinz rice cereal to my ger when she was 4mo. then frm 6mo gave her purees...apple, pear, spinach, sweet potato, etc. now planning to start protein purees...n then mix with porridge .
Hi Rapple,

At 4ths u give ur gal Heinz rice cereal rite? Roughly how many spoons did u feed her for the 1st time? Not quite sure how much water to add into it...

Saw the instructions, was like 1 teaspoon of Heinz rite? To how much water or u added milk?

Porukadotzu

Hi Rapple,

At 4ths u give ur gal Heinz rice cereal rite? Roughly how many spoons did u feed her for the 1st time? Not quite sure how much water to add into it...

Saw the instructions, was like 1 teaspoon of Heinz rite? To how much water or u added milk?
HAI HAI! :tlaugh:

i just bought the Heinz rice cereal, according to the box its 1 teaspoon mix with milk or cooked water untill become very very soft. And its normal to look watery.

so how many spoon to feed baby, i guess depends on how much water/milk you mix with the cereal untill its very soft.

i'm going to try tomorrow and see if baby like or not hehe..

i also bought the apple juice and the puree for 4mth+ baby..

i know i should be making them instead of buying hehehhee.. but just want to see how soft the food for 4mth baby so baby can digest well.

Porukadotzu

for your information...

When thinking about starting baby on solid foods and introducing solids to baby, a good rule of thumb is to "Watch the Baby - Not the Calendar!" This is true when introducing solid foods (complementary foods) for both breastfed and formula fed infants. Just because baby has turned 4 months old does not mean she must be introduced to solid foods.

Start out slowly, preparing a tablespoon sized portion of whatever food you have chosen to begin with. Some parents begin offering their babies solid foods by using their (clean and washed) finger as a spoon! They say that this helps their babies take to solid foods because the "new" spoon and the "new" food all at once seem to confuse baby!
How much will your 4 month - 6 month old baby eat at his first meal?

You will probably only manage to have baby eat 1/2 of the tablespoon sized portion the very first times you begin solids. Don't fret if your baby does not "finish" a meal. Remember this is a new experience for your baby! As your baby becomes accustomed to eating solids, you will gradually increase the portion sizes. Remember, breast milk and/or infant formula are providing for the total nutrition of your baby at this stage!

Read our How Much Food Should My Baby Eat page for more information.

Many parents find their babies will push the food out of their mouths on the first few tries. This is normal however it may also indicate that your baby is not yet ready for solid foods. Only you know your baby and will be able to decide if baby is truly ready for solids.

Read our Solid Food Chart for the 4 - 6 month old baby below:​
AGE/STAGE
The AAP recommends that an infant not be started on solid foods until after 6 months of age.
Many pediatricians still start babies on solids around 4 months of age.
This chart accommodates all ages and stages up to 12 months.
CEREALS
Rice and Oatmeal cereals are the least of the allergenic grains and thus most babies are started out with those cereals.
FRUITS
May be served raw after 8 months old – bananas and avocados do NOT need to be cooked ever
VEGGIES
Always serve cooked until after 12 months old or when baby can chew well enough so that no choking hazard is present.
PROTEIN
Always serve cooked with no pink areas – NEVER give a small baby/child raw meat or fish
DAIRY
NEVER replace breast milk or formula until after 12 months of age – serious health risks are possible.
Never give a child under the age of 2yrs
old low fat or skim milk products; whole milk is necessary.
Four to Six (4-6) Months old

Try mixing together the foods that you have already introduced without allergies or reactions. Rice Cereal mixed with Bananas for example.​

CEREALS

Rice​
Barley​
Oat​

FRUITS

Apples​
Bananas​
Pears​
Avocado​

VEGGIES

Sweet Potatoes​
Acorn/Butternut Squash​
Green Beans​

PROTEIN

None
DAIRY

None

The above chart is a general guideline with solid baby foods that are age appropriate. Our charts/guidelines are somewhat conservative in nature compared to guidelines from other sources. We show age-ranges for different foods and we have researched and compiled these charts from various medical authorities such as private pediatricians, the AAP, the AAFP and the WHO.
Feel free to print the chart and ask your Pediatrician about the listings and recommendations. Our visitors say their pediatricians are impressed with our Chart's suitability and accuracy of listings.

You should always consult your baby’s pediatrician before introducing new foods to your baby. Avoid any suggested foods that may pose an allergy risk for your baby!

Porukadotzu

my mil say too early for my baby eating those puree / cereal.. next monday will check with pd while bb taking her jab. hehe

onghelen

How about juices... bought some heinz diluted juices and thot of giving it to my boy when he turns 4ths (end Dec). Should i dilute further and howmuch heinz puree fruits can i feed him each time?

Hi Rapple,

DodoTan

I bought the local brand of brown rice cereal for 4mth onwards babies and started feeding it to my son this week. He loves it a lot. Swallow every bit and open mouth wide, wide when he sees the spoon coming. Sometimes when I'm a bit slower in giving the next spoonful to him, he'll complain!

But on the downside, it seems he's beginning to dislike milk. Feed him cereal, no problem; feed him milk, *sigh* cry and struggle...

Porukadotzu

I bought the local brand of brown rice cereal for 4mth onwards babies and started feeding it to my son this week. He loves it a lot. Swallow every bit and open mouth wide, wide when he sees the spoon coming. Sometimes when I'm a bit slower in giving the next spoonful to him, he'll complain!

But on the downside, it seems he's beginning to dislike milk. Feed him cereal, no problem; feed him milk, *sigh* cry and struggle...
then it may be the sign tat your bb need food more to satisfy his tummy. good then!

may i know wat's the brand for the brown rice you bought?

autumn82

so baby first food shld be cereal starting frm e 4th mth...shld it be mix with milk so just water?
Actually it depends on ur bb, but according to my DS's PD, he advised cereal can start from 4-6mths old. Usually, depends on the cereal u bought whether it contains milk or not. If no milk, then mix the cereal with milk would taste better for bb. Like Heinz Rice cereal, which I'm feeding DS now. I mix wif his milk.. Coz it's Really plain/bland.. LOL. :tlaugh:Best dun let babies dun eat too much sugars now.. :001_302:

DodoTan

Yes, it's Si Sen Brown Rice Powder. The brand is Moon Rabbit actually. They come in boxes and plastic tubs. Read carefully before you buy, some are instant so can just mix water or milk and eat, but some need to cook one. I like it because it has chinese herbs in it. :)