15.5months still not walking

thx83

Can I know at how many months did your child start walking independantly?
My 15.5months gal now can only walk with us holding both her hands (like the penguin advertisement mummy holding child's hands and walk behind her), I'm worried that she is too reliable on us holding her and she doesn't have the courage to walk by herself.

Phoebii Cheng

My son started walking when he is 14mths....

I have friends whose child started walking when 18mths and some whose child walks as early as 10mths....so I think not to worry, diff child hv diff milestone...most importantly is for you to encourage her

thx83

I'm not too worried till people started commenting: still not walking ah!
My sister-in-law's son also walk at 18months, guess its in the genes?
I did encourage her to walk by herself when she is in standing position but she rather crawl...

mummyofsix

Mine earliest 9mths, latest 15mths. not to worry. some take longer to walk. encourage her and praise her LOTS to build her confident even when she mastered only one step. :Dancing_tongue:

Can I know at how many months did your child start walking independantly?
My 15.5months gal now can only walk with us holding both her hands (like the penguin advertisement mummy holding child's hands and walk behind her), I'm worried that she is too reliable on us holding her and she doesn't have the courage to walk by herself.

jassmine

totally understand how u feel as my gal coming 15mth yet not walking with unsupported too... I'm not too worried till people started commenting: still not walking yet and cant speak too?! it kind of piss off too..

angelwendy

Hey don't worry ya... each child is different... some are slow... my nephew is also very slow.. he start walk & talk about 16 plus i think... so dont worry...

Phoebii Cheng

Tht time when pple mention my son still not walking, my hubby just smiled and say" they have a lifetime to walk, and next time they run around, you want them not to run, just enjoy now lor"

diymummy

Try to encourage her to walk and then praise her. Don't just praise a successful attempt, praise the attempt. As long as she tries, praise her.

My son was also like that. Then we started to sit away from him and get him to walk to us. Every time he walk to us, we will praise him. Very soon after, we started increasing the distance, within 1 mth, he didn't even want us to hold his hands anymore.

thx83

Mummyofsix: Ya, I definitely will encourage her more. Salute you, mummy of six?
Jassmine: same same, some even comment to let go of my hands and let my gal fall so that she will learn to walk by herself :eek:
Phoebii: Normally i will just say every child is different. Wah now, i can use this to answer them back. Haha..

thx83

diymummy: at how many months did your son started walking all by himself?
When I sit away from her and reach out my hands to her, she will aim at my hands and if its too far then she will give up and crawl instead. Think I will just keep trying and praise her more.

thx83

Hey don't worry ya... each child is different... some are slow... my nephew is also very slow.. he start walk & talk about 16 plus i think... so dont worry...
Thanks Wendy! I am not that worried, just bothered by other people's comments. :)

Ting

just try to encourage her more? like hold onto her fav food or toy n entice her to walk to u.
pin could walk w/o support b4 she turned 1 yo.
but i think, every child is different, dun mind too much abt what others say.
your girl will walk when she is ready. u might be in for a surprise. :)

diymummy

diymummy: at how many months did your son started walking all by himself?
When I sit away from her and reach out my hands to her, she will aim at my hands and if its too far then she will give up and crawl instead. Think I will just keep trying and praise her more.
My son was cruising from 9 mths all the way to 13 mths. Then coming to 14 mths he learn how to stand unassisted. After that we ask him to walk to us. We started with very very short distance. Only 2 steps reach us liaoo. After that increase the distance to 4 steps and now he is walking everywhere.

Keep trying. From what you describe, I think very soon your daughter can walk liaoo...

jassmine

Mummyofsix: Ya, I definitely will encourage her more. Salute you, mummy of six?
Jassmine: same same, some even comment to let go of my hands and let my gal fall so that she will learn to walk by herself :eek:
Phoebii: Normally i will just say every child is different. Wah now, i can use this to answer them back. Haha..
Huh let her fall?! we dont wish our gal full of scar:001_302:..

thx83

just try to encourage her more? like hold onto her fav food or toy n entice her to walk to u.
pin could walk w/o support b4 she turned 1 yo.
but i think, every child is different, dun mind too much abt what others say.
your girl will walk when she is ready. u might be in for a surprise. :)
Thanks Ting, will encourage her more. Ya, she loves to eat so can use food to "lure" her to walk!

thx83

My son was cruising from 9 mths all the way to 13 mths. Then coming to 14 mths he learn how to stand unassisted. After that we ask him to walk to us. We started with very very short distance. Only 2 steps reach us liaoo. After that increase the distance to 4 steps and now he is walking everywhere.

Keep trying. From what you describe, I think very soon your daughter can walk liaoo...
Oh ok, will try with very short distance first. My gal will always say she scare when I asked her to walk to mummy... Hope to see her walk soon.

jasobias

ya must encourage..let her hold on to something first then sit a very short distance away n call her out to u..can start with 1-2 steps etc..slowly increase distance.My baby learning how to stand unassisted at 8 months..have taken a few unassisted steps..other than tht we encourage her to walk whenever we can n she loves it.

diymummy

Oh ya, I forgot to add that my son has a push walker which he uses before he started walking independently.