18 mth-old doing forward roll

ping26

hi mummies

Just want to know if anyone's kid is doing this & age of the child.

My baby likes to do "headstand" postures sometimes but her feet are still on the bed.

Today, she somehow did the forward roll 3-4 times. She wasn't scared at all but enjoyed the sensation.

I stopped her cos I was afraid she may injure herself accidentally.

apollo

do u mean 'somersault'? OMG!!! my 16mth has been trying to do this recently!!! no one teach him at all, i think is 'self-taught'... my hub will entertain him and help him to roll forward. But my mum asked me to ignore him, dont help him, if not he will get used to it.

when we ignored him, he will try to roll on his own but usually fall sideway. and he will only do that on the bed, not on the floor. -.-"""

Mummy to Baby V

Same here with my boy.
At 19 months old, he started to try rolling forward while standing.
I usually pull him back.

If I've more energy, I won't mind letting him roll on the bed. But I'm just paranoid the cheeky boy will keep doing it and drive me crazy. Ha!

ping26

hi mummies,

thanks for your replies.

Yes, she only does it on the bed. haha, she knows the floor is hard.

I don't know how to describe Christine's roll; it looked more like a judo throw. Head down, then flip/throw body & legs over. Sometimes, her legs crash into the cot rails.

I feel relieved now.

I don't know what's she's trying to achieve with her headstand & rolls. AND she is a girl. LOL

apollo

hi mummies,

thanks for your replies.

Yes, she only does it on the bed. haha, she knows the floor is hard.

I dont't know how to describe Christine's roll; it looked more like a judo throw. Head down, then flip/throw body & legs over. Sometimes, her legs crash into the cot rails.

I feel relieved now.

I dont't know what's she's trying to achieve with her headstand & rolls. AND she is a girl. LOL
HAHAHAHA! i think they got a sense of achievement by doing tt. this morning ds, did tt pose and called me to turn for him. LOL :tlaugh:

jojoki

Hey Ping, net loves doing somersault too. Before, she cant do a proper one. heads n hands down, then she tries to lift her legs but she kind of collapse sideways, but today she just managed to do her first proper somersault. Its kind of good fr em i guess, some vestibular stimulation. ;p

she likes to walk tip top too, and stand one one feet.... hehe.. very cute stage i must say.

cmeilim

Hey Ping, net loves doing somersault too. Before, she cant do a proper one. heads n hands down, then she tries to lift her legs but she kind of collapse sideways, but today she just managed to do her first proper somersault. Its kind of good fr em i guess, some vestibular stimulation. ;p

she likes to walk tip top too, and stand one one feet.... hehe.. very cute stage i must say.

the children's gym ian attends exposes babies and toddlers to handstand and forward roll from very young. ian has been doing hands-down, heads-down stance and then asking us to help him roll forward since two months back (at 14 months). but he still falls sideways when he tries to roll over himself. he loves doing forward rolls, as well as backward rolls.

STmummy

my son too had been going to play gym since he was 6 months old and had been taught to do forward roll when he was 1 yr old & above (cant really rem exactly when). Just have to make sure that when they do it, their chin is tuck close to the neck.
i will help him whenever we are in the mood for it. he enjoys doing the forward roll and always laugh and clap hands when he had done it.
sometimes he wants to do it himself and I will encourage him to do so but told him that he can only do it strictly on mattress or sofa. :tlaugh: oh.. he is 20 months old now

Last edited:

jojoki

hi cmeilim,

hows ur pregnancy going? is ian having a mei mei or didi?

actually i kind of did the Glenn Doman exercises for net when she was a baby...i used to hang her upside down n swing her gently from side to side, etc.
planning to send her to a gym class too.. which one u send ian to?

cmeilim

hi cmeilim,

hows your pregnancy going? is ian having a mei mei or didi?

actually i kind of did the Glenn Doman exercises for net when she was a baby...i used to hang her upside down n swing her gently from side to side, etc.
planning to send her to a gym class too.. which one you send ian to?

Hi jojoki,

Pregnancy;s going well, and It's gonna be a didi. =)

Ian has been going to My Gym at Marine Parade,

ping26

hi jojoki

You are back? we must go splash splash again :)

aiya, our girls are very active (like the boys).

Think Christine will be able to jump soon. She has been trying for almost two months. She'll squat & try to leap. She has been practicing jumping on pillows & soft toys. haha, very cute.

Lucky, she's a bit kiasi, so she hasn't tried to jump off stairs or sofa yet. Crossing all my toes & fingers.

my hubby & family is very conservative/kiasi - they discourage all forms of "dangerous" activities. So he's not going to pay for gym class & neither will he allow it.:embarrassed:

cmeilim

hi jojoki

You are back? we must go splash splash again :)

aiya, our girls are very active (like the boys).

Think Christine will be able to jump soon. She has been trying for almost two months. She'll squat & try to leap. She has been practicing jumping on pillows & soft toys. haha, very cute.

Lucky, she's a bit kiasi, so she hasn't tried to jump off stairs or sofa yet. Crossing all my toes & fingers.

my hubby & family is very conservative/kiasi - they discourage all forms of "dangerous" activities. So he's not going to pay for gym class & neither will he allow it.:embarrassed:

actually u should tell yr hubby that in children's gym, they teach parents how to help children develop physical skills in a safe manner: the safety precautions to take; how to help your children build strength in which muscles, how to build agility, balance and flexibility, so that they will move around more safely. =)

dflora

OMG!!! Now you said it! No wonder my 18th mth boy has been bending with his head tipping on the bed for past week!! So he's trying to roll forward!!!!

ping26

actually you should tell yr hubby that in children's gym, they teach parents how to help children develop physical skills in a safe manner: the safety precautions to take; how to help your children build strength in which muscles, how to build agility, balance and flexibility, so that they will move around more safely. =)
Very hard to talk to them. IL are old-school and he's kiasu.
He'll ask me to spend more time teaching language & other stuff.

I'm also slightly kia-si. haha. We really keep her under watch all the time. I have limited time due to work, I can only slot in a music class on Friday. still looking though. Any suggestion?

dflora said:
OMG!!! Now you said it! No wonder my 18th month boy has been bending with his head tipping on the bed for past week!! So he's trying to roll forward!!!!
Yes, so cute, hor. Next skill is climbing stairs & jumping. argh...
and singing and dancing too. :001_302: :001_302: very very cute.

Mummy to Baby V

Ha... I gave in and let my boy roll forward on the mattress. He was so happy on his first try and kept doing it.

Children need to develop physical skills to keep themselves agile, safe and healthy. It aids in whole brain development too. I certainly enjoyed playground sessions as a child. :)

jojoki

actually you should tell yr hubby that in children's gym, they teach parents how to help children develop physical skills in a safe manner: the safety precautions to take; how to help your children build strength in which muscles, how to build agility, balance and flexibility, so that they will move around more safely. =)
ya cmeilim, i;m quite interested in learning how to help her develop physical skills... shes quite chubby n have a voracious appetite.. i want her to cultivate interest from an early stage. i'm thinking of the one at forum.. looks quite interesting.

net has seems more fearful of heights, i dunno why. she likes to walk backwards, walk tip toes, stand on one leg... do funny yoga poses though. hehe very cute stage actually. now shes learning to jump but the feet not lifted from ground. ;p

cmeilim

ya cmeilim, i;m quite interested in learning how to help her develop physical skills... shes quite chubby n have a voracious appetite.. i want her to cultivate interest from an early stage. i'm thinking of the one at forum.. looks quite interesting.

net has seems more fearful of heights, i dont know why. she likes to walk backwards, walk tip toes, stand on one leg... do funny yoga poses though. hehe very cute stage actually. now shes learning to jump but the feet not lifted from ground. ;p

different kids have different 'fears' to overcome. sometimes it is also just a matter of time. when ian first started class at my gym, he hated having to grab any ropes or ladder or monkey bar with his hands. not that he fears height though, because he loves being on the swing. but towards the end of the term, he now willingly goes forward and unclenches his fists to grab the monkey bar for the trainer to swing him and flip him around the bar.

walking on tip toes, standing on one leg, learning to jump are all 'habits' that ian has started exhibiting as well. we learnt that they are normal path of physical devt for toddlers, just that it happens at different timing for different toddlers, like crawling, cruising and walking for babies. but if we know which muscles to help them develop, they can achieve some of those milestones earlier. eg for jumping, we hv been told to let ian practise more on the trampoline and bouncy castle to build up his calf and thigh muscles and slowly adapt to the feeling of lifting his toes off the surface. it's really fun!

dfrtjie

One thing keep always in min don't stop little child what they are doing, let them do just keep in watching so that they can not got an accident. Such type of different activities increase their thinking power as well as creativity.