18mth old son super sticky to grandma but not mummy! Pls advise!!!

pinkDior

Hi all

My 18mths old boy has been taken care of by my mother-in-law for about 1 year +. Hubby and me do see him too after our work and about 2 mths ago, we bring him home everyday and we slept together to build our bonding.

However, son is getting increasingly sticky to my mother-in-law as she takes care of him from Mon - Fri, about 8am to 7pm. I have already placed him in childcare centre and today is his 2nd day in school. One of the reasons of placing him there is that I dun want him to be taken care by my mother-in-law already.

Despite the measures, son is still superglue to her. Whenever he sees her, he dun wan me. Only when she isn't around, then he glues to me. Somehow, I feel like a spare tyre.

I am very depressed about this. I love my son very much and it saddens me to see my son wanting grandma and not me.

Pls advise whether children will grow up, knowing mummy is mummy, and will be close to mummy when he grows older???

posh

Im sure he will be close to you if you put in more effort. Try to spend more time bonding with him, like having some sports, hobbies together, go beaches, reading books with him, go for short holidays and many many more activities that you can think of. Most importantly, you and your hubby need to spend more quality time with him, educating him on morale,values and kinship while he is still young.

ling.er

Hi,

My son was been take care by my in law since he was 8-9 month big like that( I went back to work ) since he newborn he been sleep with me ( Nap / night ) in our room!! So he already use to it.. But for me after work i go back he will cling to me.. HE dun scare me but scare of my in law lo..

*maybe you kid stay with the grandma too long?

smallsmallhand

Hi pinkDior,

I have the same arrangement as you, every week dear son stays over at inlaws 2 nights and I only drop by one of the 2 evenings to visit. I agree with other mummies here tat you can do special things with him tat your MIL doesn't do with him. Like I would play silly with him, bring him out shopping, swimming and they will know you are different. Most importantly dun worry abt he's more sticky to MIL. It's always nice he has more people to love him and he loves more people. See things in a wider perspective. So long as you love him from the bottom of your heart he will know and sense it! I always tell myself if I feel my son is closer to MIL, let them enjoy their limited years together, loving each other, having each other in memory...you will be around longer ;-)