2.5 months cannot control his neck

sufeit0115

Hi all mummies,

My 2.5 months baby cannot control his neck and without my hand support his neck will swing left/right/front/back uncontrollably. PD at kkh said if my baby still cannot control his neck by 4 months, they would scan his brain. I am so worried. Would like to know roughly at which months your baby will be able to lift & control his neck?

diymummy

My baby was sleeping on his tummy since birth so he tend to have a stronger neck earlier. He could lift his head from tummy position at abt 6-8 weeks.

My friends whose baby slept on his back from birth can lift his head from tummy position at abt 3 mths.

When you put your baby on his tummy, does he know how to lift his head? How much tummy time do you give your boy during play?

Even though my baby could lift his head from tummy position, the neck muscles are still weak. Meaning that when I try to sit him up, I still need to support his head.

sufeit0115

My baby was sleeping on his tummy since birth so he tend to have a stronger neck earlier. He could lift his head from tummy position at about 6-8 weeks.

My friends whose baby slept on his back from birth can lift his head from tummy position at about 3 mths.

When you put your baby on his tummy, does he know how to lift his head? How much tummy time do you give your boy during play?

Even though my baby could lift his head from tummy position, the neck muscles are still weak. Meaning that when I try to sit him up, I still need to support his head.
My baby also sleeps on his back from birth. When i put him on his tummy, he is trying to lift his head and can manage to lift his head for 3-5 seconds before the head falls down...then he will try again to lift. I seldom let him lie on his tummy...and PD suggested me to let him lie on his tummy for few mins few times a day to strengthen the neck muscle.

Diymummy, when u carry your baby in an upright position, do u need to support his head?

diymummy

Yes.. You should give your baby more tummy time to strengthen his neck muscles. You can try to shake a rattle in front of him to get him interested.

And at 6-8 weeks though my son could lift his head for abt 5-6 seconds, I still needed to support his neck.

He can only fully support his neck at abt 4 mths. But even when he can do that, can only hold it up for a while.. After that he will look down.

sufeit0115

Yes.. You should give your baby more tummy time to strengthen his neck muscles. You can try to shake a rattle in front of him to get him interested.

And at 6-8 weeks though my son could lift his head for about 5-6 seconds, I still needed to support his neck.

He can only fully support his neck at about 4 mths. But even when he can do that, can only hold it up for a while.. After that he will look down.
Diymummy, thanks for your advice. Will definitely give baby more tummy time...based on what you described, think my baby's condition is not that bad, being a first time mummy, so many worries ya...

diymummy

No worries suifeit mummy... :) It's ok to worry and ask questions.

I'm just wondering what made the PD feel that your baby need a brain scan... It made it sound so serious.

meiteoh

I'd think it's normal for a 2.5 mth old to still have a weak neck.

Eva was similar so we'd carry her in an upright position (with support) and I'd put her on her tummy for a few minutes every day (she'd complain like crazy though). She could hold her neck up quite steadily by 4.5 mths and by nearly 6 mths, she could sit up unsupported as well as lift up her chest when put on her tummy.

So don't worry. Like diymummy said, just give her more tummy time and carry her upright as often as you can. :)

sufeit0115

No worries suifeit mummy... :) It's ok to worry and ask questions.

I'm just wondering what made the pediatrician feel that your baby need a brain scan... It made it sound so serious.
Yes the PD sound so serious...i also don't know why, sigh...

sufeit0115

I'd think it's normal for a 2.5 month old to still have a weak neck.

Eva was similar so we'd carry her in an upright position (with support) and I'd put her on her tummy for a few minutes every day (she'd complain like crazy though). She could hold her neck up quite steadily by 4.5 mths and by nearly 6 mths, she could sit up unsupported as well as lift up her chest when put on her tummy.

So dont't worry. Like diymummy said, just give her more tummy time and carry her upright as often as you can. :)
Hi meiteoh mummy, thanks for your assurance. The PD sounded very shocked that my 2.5month old baby cannot control his neck which made me so worry. Will follow your advice to carry him upright and more tummy time. Now i feel more ease. :)

Phoebii Cheng

Mayb ur PD is more the kan cheong type....

But yes like what all the mummies here said, my son oso was able to lift his head around 3 or 4 mths old....even then oso not tht stable so don't worry, ur bb is still young :tlaugh:

apollo

ds's neck was not very strong either.. i think his tummy time was really OMG! he tried v hard but just cant lift up his head, even he did, we counted to 3, his head 'dropped'.. i think he can only lift his head up well ard 2.5-3 mths..

when we carried him, even when he was 4-5 mths old, his neck still can 'dangling' ard!! and when we placed him in his bumbo seat, at ard 5mths old, his neck was always slant to a side.. at that point of time, i got so wry that i even started a thread here to ask the mummies..

yes, give him more tummy time. i didnt gif ds lotsa tummy time last time and i realised how come his neck lik not strong at all. so we started giving him more tummy time. trust me, aft few days u will see the results! :tlaugh:

woofy55

yes.. i realised tummy time helps. initially Louis (currently 2mth+) always goes flat face down. Now he can hold up at quite long - at least long enuff for me to run and get my camera. But when in tummy position, he don't know how to turn his head left/right yet, so when tired, he'll still go face down.

And when holding him upright, though still need support, he can turn left and right to search for daddy/mummy, but still in those robotic action (ie. turn 2x left before he can see us).. not very smooth yet.. Perhaps stimulate him more.. I everyday play sound with him with rattles, clap hands...

I think your PD is just trying to make sure. Don't worry - still got time for kaeden to strengthen his neck muscles. jiayou..

Porukadotzu

don't worry much dear!

my 1st dd able to lift her head when she was 4 mth old but tat also still wiggle here there

my 2nd dd now 3 mth old can hold her head steady!! ^___^

so every child have different strength...

sufeit0115

Hi all dear mummies,

thks for sharing with me your valuable experiences and advices...i thought when doctor ask me whether my baby can lift up his neck means is firm without wriggling here or there...many mummies said their baby still need support until about 3-4 mths(when holding upright), then i'm still not too late to train him on tummy. Being a mummy got so many things to worry, actually worries started since the day i knew i was pregnant!

Last edited:
hi sufeit mommy

you are not alone, i am a 1st time mommy too. like you my worry starts the day i knew i was pregnant and what more i am pregnant 2 babies...

now they are going to be 11 mths soon, my worry continues and like what the old folks say "when they are young you will be worry they wont grow up, when they grow up you will be worry they join the wrong company"

we will be constantly "worry" ..... :)

sufeit0115

hi sufeit mommy

you are not alone, i am a 1st time mommy too. like you my worry starts the day i knew i was pregnant and what more i am pregnant 2 babies...

now they are going to be 11 mths soon, my worry continues and like what the old folks say "when they are young you will be worry they wont grow up, when they grow up you will be worry they join the wrong company"

we will be constantly "worry" ..... :)
Salute to you, supermum!! U must had very difficult period during their first six months, but like u said no matter how old they are, mummy always has something to worry for them.

PathwaysMom

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Generally by the end of his 3rd month birthday, your baby should be able to push up on his arms and hold his head up while lying on his tummy. Check out Pathways Awareness’ growth chart to learn more at: http://bit.ly/6NUpfi. To facilitate head and neck control, you should be offering Tummy Time throughout the day in spurts, building up to an hour per day. This will help strengthen baby’s upper body including neck, shoulders and trunk. Pathways also has some great tips to help you out in this area as well: http://bit.ly/8IhuuF. [/FONT]