2% Agent Fee - Payable or not

Cheyenne

Advice Please - I'm disappointed with my agent and flet that he did not do a good job,hence very reluctant to pay him his 2% fee.

Forced by circumstances, we bought a condo in April with the help of this agent. Upon acceptance,the paper work at the lawyer place also started. But, he did not really sit down with us to help us understand the necessary payment coming up. We only discuss this in his car - he driving and I take notes behind. He also never warn us that we need a at least 60K per person in our CPF account if we want to hold our HDB and buy a property. We only got to know this when we were at the lawyer after the seller accepted our cheque - half way thru the completion,too late and too expensive to back out now. But to agree to sell away our HDB.

And when the seller have problem and requested to delay the hand over (we also not in a hurry to shift in as I was due to delivery at that time plus yet to sold out HDB), we told him we are happy to extend. He did not convey our message till a month later. At that time, we also busy with the new born, confirmenet and full month shower, so also did not really chase him. We only got the urgency of this matter when the seller chase us to complete and hand over. In the end, we were 2 week late and have to compensate the seller addition 3K (so heart pain).

Again at the recent HDB appt, his face change when the HDB office told us to hand over the 5K deposit for the sales of our HDB as we sold it at a lost. Luckily, we did not spend the $ away. He is not even aware of this. He also did not remind us what documents to bring along for our HDB appt.

The best part was that he told my hubby not to tell me that he plan to give us a TV for our new house. I scolded hubby for being silly, why want to accept the TV. He must be guilty so offer the TV to soother us.

With all these, I really don't wish to pay him the full 2%. He did not even help me save $, and yet dare to ask for full. Any one can advise if I have the rights to ask him to lower his rate ?

He will sure claim that he did not even charge us any when we bought the condo. Is it a must to pay 1% for purchase ?

toto

Advice Please - I'm disappointed with my agent and flet that he did not do a good job,hence very reluctant to pay him his 2% fee.

Forced by circumstances, we bought a condo in April with the help of this agent. Upon acceptance,the paper work at the lawyer place also started. But, he did not really sit down with us to help us understand the necessary payment coming up. We only discuss this in his car - he driving and I take notes behind. He also never warn us that we need a at least 60K per person in our CPF account if we want to hold our HDB and buy a property. We only got to know this when we were at the lawyer after the seller accepted our cheque - half way thru the completion,too late and too expensive to back out now. But to agree to sell away our HDB.

And when the seller have problem and requested to delay the hand over (we also not in a hurry to shift in as I was due to delivery at that time plus yet to sold out HDB), we told him we are happy to extend. He did not convey our message till a month later. At that time, we also busy with the new born, confirmenet and full month shower, so also did not really chase him. We only got the urgency of this matter when the seller chase us to complete and hand over. In the end, we were 2 week late and have to compensate the seller addition 3K (so heart pain).

Again at the recent HDB appt, his face change when the HDB office told us to hand over the 5K deposit for the sales of our HDB as we sold it at a lost. Luckily, we did not spend the $ away. He is not even aware of this. He also did not remind us what documents to bring along for our HDB appt.

The best part was that he told my hubby not to tell me that he plan to give us a TV for our new house. I scolded hubby for being silly, why want to accept the TV. He must be guilty so offer the TV to soother us.

With all these, I really dont't wish to pay him the full 2%. He did not even help me save $, and yet dare to ask for full. Any one can advise if I have the rights to ask him to lower his rate ?

He will sure claim that he did not even charge us any when we bought the condo. Is it a must to pay 1% for purchase ?
If you have signed the exclusive contract with the agent and stated to pay him 2% for commission , it is unlikely to chase him cos everything is stated in black and white.
The commission that Housing agents charged are normally at 1% from buyer or seller. 2% commission is unusual unless he fetched a very good selling price for you . As for resale condo, the agent only charged the seller for commission so buyer need not pay commision but have to pay for lawyer fee.

hope seow

With all these, I really dont't wish to pay him the full 2%. He did not even help me save $, and yet dare to ask for full. Any one can advise if I have the rights to ask him to lower his rate ?

Hi Cheyanne, maybe u like to call up case to check out if you can pay hm 1%. Alternatively u can talk to him about the 2% that u do not wish to pay him in full due to his neglience to make you lost 3k cos of the condo completion. If he said that you did not pay him for the condo commission then you tell him off, cos he will surely receive either 0.5% or 1% of the purchase price from the seller agent as this is the standard practice. Pls PM me if you need more information.

Cheyenne

Thanks All. In fact, I've writen in to IEA and waiting for this advice on my rights before I trash things out with him.

Still waiting for IEA reply.

bedrock

if you have sign any agreement for the 2% then he will use that to chase you. I would believe in this case it is hard not to pay as he did provide services but not to a acceptable level.

One other option is to inform him about your dissatisfaction and ask him for a discount. Some property company (commission payment are usually paid to the company rather to the agent. In turn the company will pay the agent his cut) add on late payment interest if you delay payment. So better sort out this earlier.

Cheyenne

Dear bedrock,
you are right, his company will issue me an invoice in 3 week time (my completion date is 1st Nov). That's why I plan to tell him this weekend that I'm not happy with his service and request that he drop his commission. I will be nice and talk nicely with him, but if he give me 'craps' I will feedback to his company and tell them that I will only pay max 1.5%

we have signed that form, but, he did not give us time to read it and only briefly explain that it is a standard practise from his company. we were rushing for the HDB appt that very monent. Our q nos is flashing = see how unprofessional and messy this agent is.

Dear bedrock,
you are right, his company will issue me an invoice in 3 week time (my completion date is 1st Nov). That's why I plan to tell him this weekend that I'm not happy with his service and request that he drop his commission. I will be nice and talk nicely with him, but if he give me 'craps' I will feedback to his company and tell them that I will only pay max 1.5%

we have signed that form, but, he did not give us time to read it and only briefly explain that it is a standard practise from his company. we were rushing for the HDB appt that very monent. Our q nos is flashing = see how unprofessional and messy this agent is.
Hi Cheyenne,

can to share the name of housing agent and his agency? Can PM me if you dun feel comfortable letting others know.

This kinda agent should be blacklisted!

LittleMoomoo

varadidie

Dear bedrock,

Hi Cheyenne.. I am currently in the same boat as you.. How was the outcome?? Did you pay the full 2% or 1.5%? My agent didnt want to budge either.