2 weeks to Europe, travel with baby, is it ok?

dflora

I was planning to bring my then 9mth old on a 2 week travel to Italy/ Switzerland in the winter session.. but later decided to cancel because I was concern about the sub zero temperature and the high altitudes of the alps which may cause breathing difficulties in some babies... Am I too paranoid?

so now I am planning for summer on the same itinerary... but some pple tell me it is not advisable to bring babies on long haul flights and 2 weeks is too long..

Can I have some advise from those who had been there and done that....

many thanks!!

:embarrassed:

babies travel more comfortable than us. if your concern about the ear pressure, you can try giving your baby some milk at that time. it can help reduce the pressure.

but good that u decided to go in summer cause i had a talk with a patient's mother b4, she said she brought her 1 month old baby during winter time, baby came back with lung infections and unfortunately died. :((( didnt see the baby's casenote. dont know if its caused by the cold weather.

chrish

dflora,

should be ok to travel for 2 weeks. It's no problem. It all depends on the way you handle the child (eg. Not to let bb face the strong wind -i.e carry bb's facing inwards your body whenever you're out walking in the cold etc) Also always eat warm food to warm up the body, take with you thermos flasks to keep warm water.

And the material of clothings you give your bb is very important too. Being raised in a tropical country i.e. Singapore all my life, i initially thought the more clothes the better. But this is not the case. After a few years here in the cold, i noted that it's the material that counts!

Opt for wool underneaths and followed by fleece and woolen jackets.) It all also depends on how cold the place is..where im staying (even further up north than Switzerland and Italy, where the temperature even dropped to -30degC this winter! So I suppose it's certainly more warmer there..

You have to look at the label when buying, cos some stores, under 'wool' section but then the label is labeled as mix wool or maybe 50% wool..this is not enough..well it depends on how cold the temp. is when you travel to that country..if the range is say like -0 to -6 the above is sufficient. But then if it's say like -7 and above, it's better to get a 100% wool.

But woolen clothes are usually expensive..you might want to consider buying winter clothes if you'll only use on your bb once or twice..(that is if you travel not very often) and that bb also outgrow clothes fast ;)

Or yeah, as the others suggested, go during summer..this way you can also save some luggage space from all those winter wear..cos i supposed you have your hb and your clothes too? :001_302:

Hope this helps :smile:

STmummy

hi dflora, it's definitely fine to travel with your baby to Europe. I just came back from Europe last week with my hubby & baby. We went on a 1 month holiday. The temperture then was between 7 degrees to 19 degrees.

I was told that babies are not so afraid of the cold. But being a SG mother, I am pretty kiasu in trying to ensure that my baby is propering covered and kept warm. So I overdressed my baby. Long sleeves, a woolen vest. A thick woolen jacket. Mittens, & hat. Into the 3rd day, he developed rashes all over. Went to PD in Paris (MUST BUY Travel Insurance!) and he said most likely is a result of heat rash.. Opps! My fault!

We need to keep them warm, but try not to over kill. haha!

Agree on these: keep face away from wind, cos it's really cold when the wind is blowing. I always bring a hot thermal flask out. For making milk and adding hot water to his sippy cup. When you are out, try to use pulls up as it's easier to change diaper (but depending if your baby is able to stand or not.) Got him another hat to block from the hot sun too. (though temp is low, the sun can be too hot sometimes.) Stroller is a must, as your baby can be sheltered from the rain or sun and also napped while you sightsee and shop! I forgot to bring along the stroller plastic cover, thus have to use an umbrella to shelter my baby from the rain while he sleeps in the stroller. Some restaurants do not have baby seat, thus it's good if you can buy this portable & foldable seat - 'sack & seat', available in kiddy palace. Very useful for us. Bring along medicine for your baby. My baby had running nose & cough during our stay there. Due to the dry climate, we only bath our baby on alternate days, and wipe him the next. And rem to moisturise your baby as often as you can.

well if you need to buy some thick clothings for your baby but do not want to spend too much, and dont mind 2nd hand, I am selling off my baby's jackets, mittens, hat, vest etc. PM me if you are interested and I will send you some pictures.

Have fun in Europe! My boy really enjoys it! :001_302:

Last edited:

esthergal

Hi STmummy,

U just came back from Europe!! How old is your baby?

I'm bringing my 9mth old to Paris in June!! Realized that most paris hotels don't have kettle, so bought a small travel kettle to bring along... parisians just drink from the tap water so no need to boil hahaa.. I'm worried that baby is not used to the water there, did your baby adapt well to the water and weather there?

What medicine did u bring for baby? Now i can only think of paracetamol...

STmummy

Hi esthergal,

just replied your msg. but didnt see the last sentence.

I asked my boy's PD to give me these medicine:

1) running nose/itch
2) cough/open airways
3) nose drop
4) diarrhea

Bring along whichwever cream that your baby had been prescribed to for any symptons he/she had developed within these 9 months. My boy had sensitive skin around his neck and we have this itch cream from PD which I brought along. Rem to give your baby flu jab before your trip.

Hope this helps! * have fun!

Cheechee

Just came back from Switzerland last week. I also brought my 8 months old baby along. There is no big issue but you definitely need to bring some warm clothings in case the temperature change as June is not consistently warm in Europe. My baby adjust to the time difference faster than my husband and I so there is no need for concern. The weather is drier than Singapore so please bring plenty of moisturiser and lip balm too. The rest are already mentioned by other mothers.
Oh do bring sun block and hat as you will probably be outdoors most of the time. When the weather is sunny ...the sun can be more glaring than Singapore.

In my family, the biggest problem was to find accommodation during travel. With a baby, this is a very common problem - first, complaints from residents, neighbors, and second, not convenience for us. https://planetofhotels.com/en/ became our savior. We have been driving without incident for the last year and we book safely in advance, knowing that there will be no problems.

bluesky3000

Wow this is gonna be very tough, would advice you guys to really plan well for your trip as its not going to be easy!! Amenities and baby shops locations will be first sorted out

leezac56

Buy COUNTERFEIT Money / quality Driving license cleanpaperz@gmail.com
Hello
welcome to the best producer of counterfeit (EUR, USD, DNR, GBP, SSD SOLUTION etc) money and fake documenst i have years of experience and i use high quality equipment and materials to produce my bills and Documents
. All secret features of the real are carefully duplicated for our falsified counterfeit note and documents and activated into the system our fake becomes duplicate of the real.
we produce for any country high quality Passport,Driving license,university diploma,Green Card, fire arm license,I.D verification,Student Cards, International Cards, Private Cards, Adoption Certificates, Baptism Certificates, Birth Certificates, Death Certificates, Divorce certificates, Marriage Certificates Clear criminal records, Work Permits, Ultility Bills, Invitation Letters, Jobs, CV , etc...etc just place your order and we will get your work ready for you
To get additional information and place order visit our team::
for delivery,drop off or pick up

WHATSAPP (+17315030314)

leezac56

Hello
welcome to the best producer of counterfeit (EUR, USD, DNR, GBP, SSD SOLUTION etc) money and fake documenst i have years of experience and i use high quality equipment and materials to produce my bills and Documents
. All secret features of the real are carefully duplicated for our falsified counterfeit note and documents and activated into the system our fake becomes duplicate of the real.
we produce for any country high quality Passport,Driving license,university diploma,Green Card, fire arm license,I.D verification,Student Cards, International Cards, Private Cards, Adoption Certificates, Baptism Certificates, Birth Certificates, Death Certificates, Divorce certificates, Marriage Certificates Clear criminal records, Work Permits, Ultility Bills, Invitation Letters, Jobs, CV , etc...etc just place your order and we will get your work ready for you

WHATSAPP (+17315030314)

leezac56

Hello

WHATSAPP (+17315030314)

Attachments

leezac56

Hello

WHATSAPP (+17315030314)

sunnykids

Something I've always been concerned about...
Would babies be affected by cold during winter?
How do you keep your baby/small kids warm and insulated when travelling to cold countries ah?
I find that all the jackets are very bulky and difficult to pack. Any advice? :)