24 Hour Food Stall = Lack of freshness???

jal

Dear mummies, do u think that food stalls which operate 24 hours a day tend to keep their food for a longer period of time, hence affecting their quality??? There was once I ordered bee hoon from a 24 hour nasi lemak stall. The uncle gave me lotsa bee hoon & I thought he was being kind. However, when I got home, I realized that the bee hoon had already turned sour!!! @##$%^&*!!! I was pissed because that uncle was only trying to get rid of some super long leftovers. Has any mummies encountered eating "rotten" food before???

Ting

hmmm, so far i nvr encounter. but bound to hv ppl like tt.
thus for me, i seldom eat supper.
if not, i will order those tt need to be freshly cooked.
the beehoon u bought is it those economic fried beehoon thingy?
those they precook very early, so maybe become sour alr.

jal

hmmm, so far i never encounter. but bound to have ppl like that.
thus for me, i seldom eat supper.
if not, i will order those that need to be freshly cooked.
the beehoon you bought is it those economic fried beehoon thingy?
those they precook very early, so maybe become sour already.
Ya, it was one of those economic bee hoon thing. I suspect that uncle gave me yesterday's leftovers... It was not supper I ordered, but dinner at 7pm...

How can hawkers be so unscrupulous? The only thing that can be kept for more than 24 hours is double-boiled soup. Pardon me if I am wrong.

Angelmum

Ya, it was one of those economic bee hoon thing. I suspect that uncle gave me yesterday's leftovers... It was not supper I ordered, but dinner at 7pm...

I noticed stall that display economic bee hoon and nasi lamak r gd for morning or noon. U nvr know those were fried early am ... so at 7pm they may not be fresh, unless buy fm my usual stall ... got rapport with sales asst. If the beehoon I want to buy were from noon leftover, she'll tell me to buy something else like kway tiao, etc.... a 24 hrs coffeeshop. I dont like to eat economic bee hoon or nasi lamak for dinner becos got impression they r not fresh ... from am till night. This stall sell fresh stuff ... u see them still cooking/replenishing at 6pm.

There's a Kopitiam near my mrt. I ever tried eating Yong TauHu b4 go work (8am) and was sure those were leftovers from last night... sour ... tried 2x and cfm!

My opinion is some 24hr sell fresh stuff, MOST just reheat or kept food under warm light. Food r fresher when u see them cook, not just pick up from ready-made. Those stalls selling wuxiang will surely hv fresh bee hoon cos these wuxiang stalls targeting night crowd.

Ting

How can hawkers be so unscrupulous? The only thing that can be kept for more than 24 hours is double-boiled soup. Pardon me if I am wrong.
yah this kinda pre made food r normally made very early.
prob it was cooked in the mornin n noon then keep til night.
my hse here hv one too. but their biz very good from morn to night, long q, so if i wanna eat will eat from them.

jal

yah this kinda pre made food are normally made very early.
prob it was cooked in the mornin and noon then keep til night.
my house here have one too. but their biz very good from morn to night, long q, so if i wanna eat will eat from them.
Oh, & mixed vegetable rice stalls too! Usually items that are kept overnight are fried meat items. You can tell from biting into it. It is hard & soggy! Yucks! In Japan, there is no such "overnight" practice.