26 mths old son still not talking properly

rosenic8853

My baby girl (almost 24 mths) having same problem. She talks to us with her own language and point something that she wants. Most of them, I can't understand but I still keep talking to her... Hopefully she will pick up soon.

kktan

My son (just turned 3) said his first word when he was 2.5 years old too. But quite difficult to understand him so we brought him to KKH. He is seeing the speech therapist there but waitlist was quite long and can only see him once a month. 2 months ago the speech therapist said he may have apraxia! but they still can't give him more regular therapy. he is seeing a home speech therapist once a week now and the kkh speech therapist once a month - so far he's getting better and slowly combining 3 words though some sounds still not clear. But at least he is shouting and crying less coz now he can say more.

So don't give up!

P.S. anyone know of any good childcare centre that is focused on speech and language?

Thanks!

Jiaht

My baby girl (almost 24 mths) having same problem. She talks to us with her own language and point something that she wants. Most of them, I can't understand but I still keep talking to her... Hopefully she will pick up soon.
Hi Rosenic8853,

It's great that you are talking to her. One of the best ways for children to learn is by interacting with their parents. I'd also like to add that you can help her pick up more words by doing the following:

1) Use simple words. Since she is not using words yet, use single words with her. For example instead of saying "You are eating the yummy delicious bread.", try "Bread! Mm....Bread".
2) Talk about what she is focusing on. If she is playing with blocks, talk about the blocks. Say things like "Block!" "Up, up, up" as you stack them up together. Avoid talking about things that are out of context like "What should we eat for dinner?"
3) Can she wave? Can she clap her hands in imitation? These are prerequisite for sign language. Sign language is a good way for children to communicate and in no way will it impedes speech. Sign language helps to reduce frustration and teaches children that they have to do something before they get something. Another benefit of sign language is that you can help her sign it, whereas you cannot pull the words out of a child's mouth. If however she doesn't sign, you might try PECS. But you will need a speech therapist to assess and guide you on how to implement it.
4) Reading is a good way for children to pick up new words. Instead of reading the text word for word, point to images in the book and talk about them. For example if you are reading "Where's spot?" you can point to the Spot and say "Dog! Woof woof! Dog".

Hope these tips help!

Jia

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speech and Talk | Helping your child communicate
speechandtalk.com

shiyi8033

Hi, my son often express & talks in his 'own language' which makes my hubby and me very worried. The only thing that he would say would be alphabets & numbers. He's not that interested in joining playgroups and would often cry during the trials. Is there any way we can get him to start talking and be more sociable?
No worries, Our children have different interests but if you want you can try searching for an enrichment program.

Anna Li

I do understand your worry but every child are different and it might take your little angel to develop her speech. As parents, we should always be there to help them but not pamper them to much to avoid them taking things for granted.

xiehui1128

I do understand your worry but every child are different and it might take your little angel to develop her speech. As parents, we should always be there to help them but not pamper them to much to avoid them taking things for granted.
I AGREE!