8.5 mth old suddenly refuse cereal!!!

apollo

hi mummies,

ds is 8.5 mths old, he used to love cereal, he can finish his cereal within 5min.

but dunno what's wrong with him recently, for the past 1week+ he has been rejecting his cereal!!! he will eat the 1st spoon, but aft knowing it's cereal, he will close his mouth tightly. we have to bluff him to eat by playing with him, make his mouth open etc...

he used to take Healthy Times Brown rice cereal. becos of his constipation, last mth we changed to HT oatmeal, den bk to brown rice.. aft seeing him rejecting his cereal, i change bk to oatmeal but still the same, he still rejects it!!!

i tried putting peach/applesauce puree and he will slurp it up within 5mins.. but i'm thinking will it bevome a habit? is it bad if i add puree into his cereal everyday?? and if can add puree everyday, hw much shd i add? cos those commercial bottled puree can last for 48hrs aft opening and i find adding half bottle into 4.5spn of cereal is abit too much..

please gif me some advices!!! i'm desperately in nd of help :embarrassed:

annie

toddler suddenly refuse some food is very normal. yea its perfectly ok and healthier to give your toddler fruits/veg puree with cereal. its not a bad habit dun worry. i would suggest giving home made puree so u can use only the amt u need, need not worry bout expiry date and also its healtier.. as for how much to give, u can check it out here in my girl's blog. got the chart from a pd here. Our Precious Princess!: Nutritional Needs of a Baby (per meal)

CanCanMum

orleng darling

toddler rejecting foods can be due to many reasons:

1. tired of eating the same foods

2. wants to explore varieties

3. simply dunn wan to eat

it can be due to external factors like he sees u eating other foods, he thinks how come i need to eat cereal, why canx i eat your food? Things like tat, babies are smarties~~~

Baber loves Frisocrem when he was about ashton's age coz i gave him every morning, but after some time he is not so interested anymore and instead he Peeps at MY FOOD or he seems to eat more when i add in mashed banana etc. Sometimes i will add in mashed egg yolk, strawberry puree etc.

Have u tried with varieties? Putting in other things into the cereal is a good idea. U can add on healthy items like fruits puree. Makes the cereal look more attractive

:wong19:sayangzzzzzzzzzzzzz

diymummy

toddler suddenly refuse some food is very normal. yea its perfectly ok and healthier to give your toddler fruits/veg puree with cereal. its not a bad habit dont worry. i would suggest giving home made puree so you can use only the amt you need, need not worry bout expiry date and also its healtier.. as for how much to give, you can check it out here in my girl's blog. got the chart from a pediatrician here. Our Precious Princess!: Nutritional Needs of a Baby (per meal)
Hi Annie,

The amount that is stated is for whole day or per meal?

annie

diymummy, its for per meal. see the title? hehe. anyway that is just a reference. some toddler takes more and some less so its just meant to be for a ref.. i always stick to that for my girl's meal but she is taking 2 full meals and 1 light breakfast and snack throughout the day so somehow she is not meeting the requirement in her blog also.. she used to though..now she is eating lesser than before...

Last edited:

diymummy

I see.. Thanks Annie.. I missed out the title. LOL. I think my boy is also not eating that amount. Sighz....

annie

nvm do your best by offering him enough. whether or not he can finish it is up to him. since my girl is on 2 full meals, she is meeting the requirements for her 2 meals.. im trying my best to 'cheat' her into finishing all her food during meals hehe. do your best!