8kilo at 4.5mths, means overweight?

apollo

last fri we brought ds to see pd due to his cough. As his pd was on leave, we got no choice but to see the relief pd.

that relief pd commented that ds is too fat and overweight. she suggested that we shd cut down his milk intake or drag his milk timing to every 4hrs instead of the current one: 150ml every 3hrs..

i told her it's v diffi to control ds's milk intake or timing cause he will scream and wail v badly until we give him milk. die die also must drink 150ml every 3hrs. sometimes 2.5 hrs want milk alrdy.

relief pd told us if we dont follow what she advised, ds will be obese when he grows older and is bad for his health..

BUT, my ds's pd, the one who was on leave, always tell us NOT to wry abt his fast weight gain as when he starts to crawl and walk, he will slim down..

my mum suggested giving ds cereal once a day since milk cant satisfied him alrdy but ds's pd said better wait until he is st least 5mth++...

shd i listen to ds's pd or the relief one?? both in the same clinic but talk differently...

november

My son at 3 mths jab already 8.45kg, also 150ml / 3hrs (sometimes cannot finish). The nurse at polyclinic told me, not to worry too much of his weight gain, cuz it'll slow down when he learns to crawl. She also ask me to start solids at 6mths. So i dun think u should get too worried.

For ur info, my friend's son at 2mths already 8.8kg. Now at 5.5 mths already 10 kg plus le!

Shirix

My son at 3 mths jab already 8.45kg, also 150ml / 3hrs (sometimes cannot finish). The nurse at polyclinic told me, not to worry too much of his weight gain, cuz it'll slow down when he learns to crawl. She also ask me to start solids at 6mths. So i dont think you should get too worried.

For your info, my friend's son at 2mths already 8.8kg. Now at 5.5 mths already 10 kg plus !
my boy is 5month now... drinking 140ml every 3hrs....... weighing 7kg... izzit too skinny?? i feel that he is not chubby enough lei...

apollo

my boy is 5month now... drinking 140ml every 3hrs....... weighing 7kg... izzit too skinny?? i feel that he is not chubby enough lei...
most imptly, ur baby must be healthy. being 'not chubby enough' is okay =) and has he double his weight? my pd told me as long as a baby double his weight on the 4th mth, is consider v good alrdy.. means if ur baby birth weight is 3kilo, he shd be ard 6kilo when he reach 4th mth old =)

apollo

My son at 3 mths jab already 8.45kg, also 150ml / 3hrs (sometimes cannot finish). The nurse at polyclinic told me, not to worry too much of his weight gain, cuz it'll slow down when he learns to crawl. She also ask me to start solids at 6mths. So i dont think you should get too worried.

For your info, my friend's son at 2mths already 8.8kg. Now at 5.5 mths already 10 kg plus !
haha thks november mummy.. i was quite confused by that relief pd's remarks cause throughout the 10min consultation, she kept on and off commenting ds is too fat etc.. but i didnt even hear my ds's pd mention abt tt b4.. he only said his weight gain is v fast and good, not to wry etc... mayb partly also becos ds birth weight was only 2.9kilo thus i'm quite wry... :tlaugh:

jasobias

haha thks november mummy.. i was quite confused by that relief pediatrician's remarks cause throughout the 10min consultation, she kept on and off commenting dear son is too fat etc.. but i didnt even hear my dear son's pediatrician mention about that before.. he only said his weight gain is very fast and good, not to wry etc... mayb partly also becos dear son birth weight was only 2.9kilo thus i'm quite wry... :tlaugh:
hey regina
dont worry ..i think ur sons weight is just fine.My son too weighed almost 8kg at 3 months..they willlose weight later when they r more mobile.N its only milk ur feeding the baby..not like u secretly feeding him ice cream n sweets..hehhehe.
some babies r just big n some small..just let pple say wht they want lah..chubby babies r cute c:))

chiro

regina..dun worry abt the weight issue.. When ur son starts walkin..he will lose the bb fats..weight is jus indicative..so long as he eat, sleepn poo well can liao..

diymummy

my son is 10mths. he's only 8kg.

regina mummy, don't worry abt your son's weight. it is true that once they start crawling, weight gain will slow down. and this will also be the case when he starts solids.

i feel that weight is relative to baby's height as well. genes also play a part. my son is now 72cm and weighs 8kg. hubby and i are small in size so son would also naturally be small. hubby and i also eat a lot but gain very little weight. my son at 4mths was drinking 150ml for 6 feeds at every 3 hrs. so ya... i feel that it depends on the genes we pass to baby as well.

apollo

thks mummy..

what ur said are exactly what I was told from ds's pd... just dont know why the relief pd told me differently..

she even said if ds continue to be so fat, in future not only will become obese also will also cause harm to his health and will have heart pro etc... i heard alrdy so scare lohh.. haha

Ting

i think it is fine, might not be him being fat thus the heavy weight.
may be his bone structure big.
pin is like that too, she is a very big girl compared to most of her peers in sch, even though they r older than her.
cant rmb her weight when she was 4 mths old (so long ago alr :D ) but at 1 year old, she was 12 kgs...
n now, she is 14 kgs.
so, dun worry so much, when they reach the point of crawling n walking their weight gain will slow down alot.

but i rmbered pin was also very over sized for her age, but my doc also told me no worries when i showed him my concern, he say, just let her drink all the milk she wants (think pin drank abt 120-150 ml per 2 hrs arnd that age), she is a baby, so she is growing, she needs the milk... cant be starving her right...?
n i NVR trust relief docs.... nvr ever!! one thing is bcos, they dunno your bb's condition as well as your own doc!

diymummy

thks mummy..

what your said are exactly what I was told from dear son's pediatrician... just dont know why the relief pediatrician told me differently..

she even said if dear son continue to be so fat, in future not only will become obese also will also cause harm to his health and will have heart pro etc... i heard alrdy so scare lohh.. haha
It is true that obese children in young age will lead to obesity in adulthood. I think you should be worried if your child continue to gain that much weight when he has already started solids.... I think it's easier to control solid intake than milk intake. I also feel it's a bit to young to be controlling milk intake. Maybe you monitor and see if his weight gain is still alot when he hits 8mths. By then should be sitting and trying to crawl liao. As long as your ds is not vomitting milk, means not overfeeding. And you should also tell your pd when he comes back from holiday what his relief said. Maybe he will sack the relief. LOL.

apollo

Ting & diymummy,

ya my mum told me not to listen to tt relief pd when i told her when she said.. cos all the while ds's pd has been saying is okay.. but his pd also mentioned b4 once a baby reaches 3mth old, weight gain will slow down, but ds's one lik always shooting v fast.. haha...

my son was steadily 'off the chart'. think he was also about 8.5kg at 4 months plus. but doc said on breastmilk so storing up brown fat (??) so that's ok. by 8 or 9 months he was 12k+g. But since he was also in the high centiles for height and head circumference, it just means he is a big baby. so i guess it's not just the weight you'll need to look at, but a few other factors. anyway, once he started crawling-rolling-cruising around, he stopped putting on weight. he is almost 14 months and still 12+kg :)

Ting

Ting & diymummy,

ya my mum told me not to listen to that relief pediatrician when i told her when she said.. cos all the while dear son's pediatrician has been saying is okay.. but his pediatrician also mentioned before once a baby reaches 3mth old, weight gain will slow down, but dear son's one lik always shooting very fast.. haha...

pin's weight also shooting up all the way til 1 yo. then slowed down alot. cos she too active.... dun worry too much, milk wont make baby fat, plus yours is BM right?
mine FM lehh. my doc say just give her if she wants.
even til now, i dun stop pin from drinking milk, she still drinking 700ml-900 ml of FM daily.
not included the choco milk tt she drinks sometimes in addition...
drink milk good, strong bones! like pin, she very strong!! (n heavy!! LOL!)

cmeilim

my baby ballooned in the past one month and now he's 7.5kg at 4.5mths old. PD last week never voiced any concern. everyone i know who's a parent tells me he will slim down when he can crawl and walk, so i am not worried. fyi, my baby is above 100 percentile in terms of head circumference, though his height is average. i guess he's just an above average big baby, but not dangerously so. =>

so.....regina, dun worry, be happy!! =D

apollo

pin's weight also shooting up all the way til 1 yo. then slowed down alot. cos she too active.... dont worry too much, milk wont make baby fat, plus yours is breast milk right?
mine FM lehh. my doc say just give her if she wants.
even til now, i dont stop pin from drinking milk, she still drinking 700ml-900 ml of FM daily.
not included the choco milk that she drinks sometimes in addition...
drink milk good, strong bones! like pin, she very strong!! (n heavy!! LOL!)
i stop bf-ing liaoo.. eversince he was fully on FM, he looks fatter... haha..

OMG!!!! 700-900ml DAILY??? tt's ALOT for a 2year old girl lehh... haha!!!

diymummy

My ds only 10mths he drinks abt 700ml of milk a day with 3 solid meals leh....

And he's only 8kg... zzzz.... He jiak liao bi one...

Ting

i stop bf-ing liaoo.. eversince he was fully on FM, he looks fatter... haha..

OMG!!!! 700-900ml DAILY??? that's ALOT for a 2year old girl lehh... haha!!!
FM sure to be fatter, u see my pin u know alr.
LOL~

yeah she drinks minimum 4 btls of 180ml daily.
max is abt 6 btls.
that's y i shld hv BF her lorr~ now will super slim.. :wong29: hais! wasted!!

she is a milk monster laa. sometimes in addition she will ask me got choco milk.... those packet ones. :tlaugh:

apollo

FM sure to be fatter, you see my pin you know already.
LOL~

yeah she drinks minimum 4 btls of 180ml daily.
max is about 6 btls.
that's why i shld have BF her lorr~ now will super slim.. :wong29: hais! wasted!!

she is a milk monster laa. sometimes in addition she will ask me got choco milk.... those packet ones. :tlaugh:
i've stop bf-ing and nw ds even more fatter... good that pin loves milk. cos my cousin told me her fren's baby started solid food on 4mth old and aft tt keep reject milk.. hehe..