8mths old Baby, screaming in the middle of the night

november

My 8 months old bb boy, since last week has been waking up in the middle of the night, screaming! Or should i say, crying very very badly, like as if in great pain like that.

I've to wake up and carry him. But still no use. Feed him, he doesn't drink.

Its so tiring and at the same time also very heartpain to hear him cry like that.

He don't use to be like that, whenever he cries at night, either some milk or hug him back to sleep, he'll calm down..but it doesn't work these 2 weeks.

How?

nancy

Same here!!! My going to be 8 mth old baby started her crying routine since Dec last yr when she is 7 mth old!! It was and still is a daily/nightly affair. Many pple told me that she may be teething. I really hope so and pray that this "routine" will stop soon...Sigh..

Some pple will suggest putting teething gel on the baby's gums.. but mine doesn't work on my baby. So I will just give her a pacifier and she will suck it to sleep (she usually dun take pacifier to sleep at night but will do so during her naps in the daytime). Maybe you can try giving a pacifier to your baby at the moment and see what happen

pkshl

my baby is also going through this phrase now. last night he also suddendly scream n cry loudly at 2am. my hb tried to calm him down by giving him warm milk but he refused to drink, only after few attempts he managed to get baby to drink, only den he calm down n slept after that. this has been going on for quite sometime liao.

my mil said cos my son playing with 床母 thats why he suddendly cry.

Mummy Geeh

Hi My baby also turning 8 months soon and he also started to wake up in the middle of the night crying. sometimes, he is sleeping but it's like he is sobbing . :( Then we try to wake him and comfort him.

Any mommy knows why things like these are happening?

sugarcookie

My girl is 9mths+ and has been waking up screaming too. I think it's due to separation anxiety.

She probably woke up, saw no one, panicked and screamed.

november

Same here!!! My going to be 8 month old baby started her crying routine since Dec last your when she is 7 month old!! It was and still is a daily/nightly affair. Many pple told me that she may be teething. I really hope so and pray that this "routine" will stop soon...Sigh..

Some pple will suggest putting teething gel on the baby's gums.. but mine doesn't work on my baby. So I will just give her a pacifier and she will suck it to sleep (she usually dont take pacifier to sleep at night but will do so during her naps in the daytime). Maybe you can try giving a pacifier to your baby at the moment and see what happen
Cannot. I tried sticking in the pacifier. The cries got even worse with his head turning away left and right vigorously. Like very "cham" like that.

Cream

Oh my god, I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. Same thing happened to my gal but it lasted only about close to 1 month and she's back to "normal".

kenxf_03

oh, this also happened to my 8mth old DS!!

usually, he will slp thru the nite, but these 2/3 weeks, he's been waking up in the nite crying. Intially, giving him milk does help and he'll slp after that. But recently, he starts to refuse his milk and cont'd crying.

Sometimes, if we are fast enough, insert pacifier does help. If not, he'll wake up crying even louder.. :embarrassed:

JazN

Same thing as all of you. Mine will either wake up once or twice in the middle of night (last time slept thru the night). So many reasons can be separation anxiety, learning new skills, etc

I tried all these methods & still using either. These may work for u:
- putting her on our bed, pat her then she'll sleep thru on my bed. I'll carry her back to cot in the morning when i prepare for work. I did not try to put her back in the cot as i know within 1/ 2 hours she'll wake again
- bf her while lying down then she'll knock out on my bed in 10mins or less (sometimes will hear her gulping down the milk)
- turn on the night light with her sleepg in the cot
- still have some burp
- just want to be rock to sleep
- pat in the cot & sometimes may fall aleep

I've read even though all these are happening your bed routine still need to be consistent, also don't get baby over-excited towards bedtime.

Last edited:

Porukadotzu

i remember when my gal reaching 1 year she also keep waking up and scream in the mid of night..around 2am or 4 am...sometime she woke up and cry very very loud few times at nite too, somemore she kept screaming untill she cough and like want to vomit..wa so scarry..

I thought she was hungry so i always make milk for her around tat time but she just drank a zip...later then i know she was teething so the best we can do is just be there for her... try to calm her down and rock her back to sleep again. Also i think bcoz my husband play too much with her b4 sleep.

PinkDiamonds

My daughter also wakes up in the middle of the night crying very loudly. But I leave her to comfort herself. Usually within 15min she goes back to sleep. Maybe you can let your baby cry for a while, before tending to him/her. This allows him/her to learn how to self-soothe.

Hopefully it's a phase that will pass soon. It's quite scary to suddenly wake up to a screaming baby in the other room.

mandymtb

geezzz... my dd is in the same phase too... but happpend only twice in the past mth so far... does that mean she has more of such episodes to come??

Ting

hmmm i didnt hv such problems with pin.
but might be due to over stimulation (cos at this age they r actively exploring n moving arnd) n nightmares (or dreaming) thus will cry..

sharonyi66

Gosh~~~~ My baby is 4 months old and and these few nights she's waking up at 2/3am crying and crying. Fed her milk, she cry even worst.. Must carry her + walking around in the room for about half hour then can slowly coax her back to sleep..

She's used to sleep thruout and only wake up for milk at 5/6am..

I'm getting so tired during working hours these days... :(

PinkDiamonds

Do you mummies allow your babies to cry for a while before tending to them? It would help them to try to comfort themselves. Usually you can wait for about 10-15 min before going in to comfort them. Then ensure them that you are there before leaving the room again.

Mummy to Baby V

My boy can cry very hysterically within a short while and once he gets to that stage and wide awake, it is VERY difficult to get him to sleep again. During his brief night awakenings, I'll observe him while pretending to be asleep, let him fuss about and find a way to get back to sleep. If he starts crying for help, I'll pat, nurse or bounce him to sleep, depending on what he needs.

ting_hisbeloved

Ya my 10 month old baby did that out of a sudden too. Then my wise mummy told me tis coz I let her feel panic n fear in e day! U see, I requested her daddy to bathe her when he came bk fr bk so they haf bonding time. But she would scream and cry. Once we stop the dad bathing, she was ok. So ya agree, no over stimulation or watching or doing things that will scare them.

My baby finally zzz thru aft she turned one. But many events easily upset this, lik sickness, or change in weather (we r in states now, e weather is erratic). We brought her to e circus and she was so scared of the lions n clown, she has been slping badly since and will want to come to our bed in middle of night.

Tis not easy being a mummy, awfully tiring. But heh we r doing a great admirable jib, 加油。

ting_hisbeloved

I m divided abt letting baby cry to zzz, it's so painful to hear her cry. But I reckon she is gonna grow up and zzz in her own room one day, let me treasure these days of her wanting to cuddle with me. I admire those who manage to train their kids to slp by the cry it out method. But dun let anyone put u down for choosing otherwise. What's gd for a baby does nt work for others. Read up, analyse n go with ur gut feel! 我们最犀利了!

Juz17

Sigh, now my 11 mths old son wakes up at 10 plus or 11 plus n cry super loud. Tonight is the 3rd night this has happened. He usually sleeps with my parents either in between them on bed or sarong. Sigh, his cry is inconsolable. My mum, his caretaker in the day, carry him ard he still cry. The moment he saw me, he scream n turn his head against me. :( to make things worst, his phlegm in the throat caused him to cry in 'pain'. :( give him milk he dunwan, give him water he dunwan.
I asked ard ppl say he laugh or play too much in the day buy I can't stop my parents from playing w my son ah...
Not sure he dunwan to see me is due to my current pregnancy or nt. Anyway at night he just dun like me. The next morning he is back to normal already. He will laugh n play w me!
Help!!! Wat happened to my son???