Advices on BF vs Formula

During the first few days, they (relatives) kept asking me about my bm, but mine milk flow did not came so fast.
So, they started asking u, why no milk? it appears to me their tone as a kind of stress. Lots of comments followed.

Slowly, on monday, which is her 4th day, there's engorgement and milk supply starts to come in naturally.

On tuesday, she also had bm .
And, she had soiled her diapers like 7 times.
Then, mum started asking me to give up bm due to her frequency of diaper changing (poo)
and when im back to work, how is she going to handle
Plus, when her routine is set to frequent feeding (every 2-3hrs) on bm, it might be hard for her to change to bottle feeding for a longer time.
As a result, she may demand to be bottle fed on fm 2-3 hrs.
Even, my grandma said some things about just giving her fm totally.

ANy mummies facing similar problems? Any mummies on total formula feeding?

badtzzz

During the first few days, they (relatives) kept asking me about my bm, but mine milk flow did not came so fast.
So, they started asking u, why no milk? it appears to me their tone as a kind of stress. Lots of comments followed.

Slowly, on monday, which is her 4th day, there's engorgement and milk supply starts to come in naturally.

Then, mum started asking me to give up bm due to her frequency of diaper changing (poo)
Plus, when her routine is set to frequent feeding (every 2-3hrs) on bm, it might be hard for her to change to bottle feeding for a longer time.

ANy mummies facing similar problems? Any mummies on total formula feeding?
I used to have this problem as well. I was super stress up during the time where i gt no bm and couldn't give the best to my baby. Well, then i decided to mix ur bm(not enough supply as well) with fm. in this case, your baby wont feel so hungry after every feed. How many months of ML do you have? Probably by 3 months, she should during abt 120ml to 150ml of milk which can last abt 3-4hrly. As for the diaper time, i think it would probably changed after you baby is about 3months which my girl poo abt 2-3 times a day. I believe all the chnages will take place overtime and not to worry :)

snowbear

It seems that your supply has come in and that is no longer an issue right? So you can stop stressing yourself over what others have to say about your supply. :)

When bb is young and on bm, she will tend to poo often but this will stabilise and by the time you go back to work after your maternity leave, your bb will prob not be pooing so often.

bm is more easily digestible hence the frequency of feeding. If you're switching her to fm by the time your mum takes care of her, she wouldn't need to feed so often.

What did she say?

I think you should relax and not stress yourself over what you cannot predict will happen. Enjoy the process of bfding and motherhood. The older generation will always have their own opinions so just listen but don't take it to heart.

isabelandrew

i also super stress and depressed. well, by the time u go to work, feeding will be established.

my 3mth girl now drinks 150ml breast milk, can last 4 hrs. poo will slowly cut down cos their tummy grow ma.

for me, my milk supply low as i dunno how to express. always express only 50ml each time, not enough for my bb.

so i feed FM every alternate meal.
BM
FM
BM
FM
BM....

hope this helps

Amulet

second wat snowbear said.. everything will be better soon.. ask ur mom n grandma would they rather the baby takes FM n falls sick so very often thn need to bring to see doc, hospitals, and handle a cranky baby? would handling dirty diapers be an easier task?

Thanks for everyone opinion.

I tried telling them, the stool frequency is alright, as told by doc oso.
I even told my gynae when she review my stitches, as was pretty stress
She even wanted to speak to my mum, but too bad, she din follow to hosp.

They just answer me, heart pain to see her keep shitting so watery and so often. Nv drink BM so wad, no only u got milk, everyone oso got milk, we nv give, u all oso grow up healthily until so big.
They emphasis that fm can slp longer, more fat.

Right now, just finish diploma, got to find work after confinement to help supplement the income with hubby.
Thats why very hard for me to argue, cus after that is my mom take care.
She dun wan me express bm and keep oso.

They asked me to take the pills to stop the milk/engorge.
Gynae said it's $20 per pill, milk supply will slowly stop.
End up i din take, go home kena scold.

So, have to suffer from the engorge.
Pump out from right side, got 70ml..
end up throw away.. if i feed her like that day,
they will say me, see so many poo, and etc, making it seem is all my fault to make bb suffer. Then, end up i will cry alone..

feeling so stress..have oso say me.. dun have oso say me..

snowbear

I just think it's such a pity for you to stop feeding your child bm coz you have the supply. So many mothers out there are desperately trying so hard to have more milk to feed their little ones but can't. If pressure around you is so great to stop bfding, and if it makes you feel better to succumb to the pressure then by all means just stop bfding. Your sanity is more impt. Crying alone often at this pt may lead to post-natal depression...

Take care...

oblong

adeline, our own mummy, very hard / impossible to win the fight one.

if the pressure is jus too much, you may want to reconsider.

or grit your teeth and fight your mum. i'm giving a very bad advice here.

i fought with my mum all the way to continue breastfeeding. my mum refused to talk to me for days. you have to be prepared to be very tired out during confinement if you do that. which is no good for you in the long run.

my mum finally caved in when i went back to work, my neighbour's daughter in law gave birth to a baby boy 1 month after me. the baby fell sick and kept developing coughs after the 3rd month (baby was on full formula milk). when jeff turned 4 mths, my mum started him on semi solids, he developed a cough. my mum gave him breastmilk for a couple of days and the cough went away. i was very 'heng', thank Gods jeff turned out ok and my mum now believes breastmilk has antibodies which protects the baby.

Last edited:

oblong

my mum was shocked when jeff first passed 'normal' stools after all the meconium stools cleared. she kept insisting he has diarrhea.

my explanation: breastmilk is easily digested. so whatever not needed by the baby is excreted. the stools will be loose and seedy, they are normal. formula milk not so easily digested, hence lesser stools passed out.

i also got my mum to accompany jeff for visits to the pd. my mum asked the doc and nurses directly.

Joyjoy

summeradeline,
so sorry to read all your posts...
i was against all odds too when i insisted on feeding my boy when he was born in 2006. when he was hungry every 2-3 hrs, my MIL will pass unbearable remarks on me.... own mum also discouraged breastfeeding.

at certain point of time, i slip into depression too, crying for no apparent reasons... those times, i told myself to hang on, relying on the fact that BM is the best and i want my son to have the best. My gynae then told me our parents are from the gen who believes FM is the best, so they will impose their own belieft on you.

I have quiet moment too when i went to work in a night clinic twice a week beside my full time job. somehow the clinic session helps me forgot all the unkind faces, and allow me to have some moment away from my child.

I slowly recovers... i hope you are as strong mentally too, dun give up breastfeeding... I never regretted my choice. Now with my 2nd born, i am very happy to give her BM exclusively for 6mths. Nobody complains now except my mum as she is concern about my health.

Amulet

hang on dear.. like wat other mommies have said, make them tag along to PD the next time rd.. anything ask doc to tell them direct.. thats how i let my mum ask her queries whn she doesnt believes me.. even if baby not sick, also can juz make appt with PD for ur mom n ahma to get advised..

don cry alone k.. many moms wen through this.. we are all here to listen to you..

try to learn to one ear in one ear out ba.. we are our babies' mommy, we have the rights and responsibilities to protect them.. their gen believes fm is best, and bm is only for poor peasants who cannot afford fm.. but we knows the ultimate truth..

*hug*

anyway, happy mother's day to all breastfeedin mommies out there k~

Thanks everyone for e time to give me some advices.. Really much thanks..

Cus i have not much to tok to.. all my close frds dun understand..
Cus haven reach this stage..

Just hope i can mix in 1 bm during her afternoon /midnight feeds..

apollo

hi adeline...

my mum also discourage me to BF BB when he's born... she said she hope i dun hav any milk supply so dun hav to suffer frm engorsement... she said BF-ing is very tough and she keep feels tt FM is much more better than BF...

but i think my mum is much more easier to "psycho"... i assure her tt if i really got not enough milk, i'll mixsome FM for BB... i told her to at least let me try...

nw she still dunno tt a BF-ing BB will poo many times per day, i think aft BB born, and she noe abt this will sure ask me to stop BF-ing again.. LOL..

CHEER UP okay?? :tlaugh:

come to think of it, i really dun understand y the older generation discourage BF-ing...

kenxf_03

Hi all mummies,

I need help here too! Juz gave birth to my baby boy last week. But my boy is quite impatient and now I have not much milk supply. Did let my boy tried BF but he suck really hard and my nipples are bleeding as a result of the sucking..

Everyone @ home have been supportive in me BF. Even though my milk supply is no enough, I tried very hard to pump out. But it turn out that I can pump out only 30 ml which is not enough for my baby boy at all.. :embarrassed:

I'm kinda of stress cos my family are very supportive but the confinement lady that I had at home is happen to be my Hb's relative from M'sia. She is the ONLY ONE who kp on saying I have no milk supply! I'm kinda of stress. cos I did let my baby boy try but there's not enough supply at all.

Sometimes, I feel really very discouraged.. There are times that I cried in silence.. Hb get to know abt that and started to worry that I may get post-natal depression sooner or later.

Can any one help in providing details on ways to increase my BM??

uddermummy

kenxf,

I had the exact prob as you. My confinement nanny was from breast milk hell and she told me on the first day that i didn't have enuf milk even when i was suffering from engorgement.

I sent her packing after 5 days; she just wanted to make like easier for herself.

Most nannies will tell you to supplement with formula milk because formula milk makes bb v full so bb will sleep longer and not give them so much prob. Also formula bbs don't pee and poo so often and they don't have to change the bbs often.

Tell your hubby to talk to the nanny; tell her nicely to shut up or else.

why do you say you don't have enuf supply? 30 mil is v good after latching cos the pumps won't always pump out everything in the breast.

I'm AA cup, but I've managed to bf for 2 months.

If you have sore nipples, maybe you can look up jack newman's video on the net on latching. Or get lactation consultants if you really need to.

keep pumping after feeding bb for abt 10 min. best is to kleep putting bb to the breast

Last edited:

kenxf_03

kenxf,

I had the exact prob as you. My confinement nanny was from breast milk hell and she told me on the first day that i didn't have enuf milk even when i was suffering from engorgement.

I sent her packing after 5 days; she just wanted to make like easier for herself.

Most nannies will tell you to supplement with formula milk because formula milk makes bb v full so bb will sleep longer and not give them so much prob. Also formula bbs don't pee and poo so often and they don't have to change the bbs often.

Tell your hubby to talk to the nanny; tell her nicely to shut up or else.

why do you say you don't have enuf supply? 30 mil is v good after latching cos the pumps won't always pump out everything in the breast.

I'm AA cup, but I've managed to bf for 2 months.

If you have sore nipples, maybe you can look up jack newman's video on the net on latching. Or get lactation consultants if you really need to.

keep pumping after feeding bb for abt 10 min. best is to kleep putting bb to the breast
Hi Uddermummy,

Thks for ur encouragement and info!

Hb has got MIL to tok to the nanny already. I do have the intention to send her back as well. I really cant tahan her bad habits that she brought from M'sia! Cos they are relatives, so I need to bear with that! She quitted her job in M'sia juz to help in my confinement, so i cant send her back straight. So our agreement is after this 1 mth, we'll send her back loh..

Now, I try pumping loh. hopefully to get more stimulation so that more milk will be produce loh.

Mummies,

Dun be down when BM is low or what. You can always try to take a supplement call Fenugreek, can get at GNC or Nature's Farm.

Then for comments that ppl make, dun bother lor. I know its not easy lah... Bcoz last time I oso very sad lor, when ppl make comments say dun BF dun this dun that. Until I got angry n told them off straight in the face. I was very rude lah, i told them wanna make further comments den get out of my house...

Most importantly dun stress urself out... After 2 babies and another 1 comin out 2nite, I know how to handle them already:D

For gd supply = Eat more fish(Threadfin or Cod Fish is gd!) , drink more water, dun stress urself, have more rest and if have to try to take Fenugreek...

Take care ya? :)

kenxf_03

Mummies,

Dun be down when BM is low or what. You can always try to take a supplement call Fenugreek, can get at GNC or Nature's Farm.

Then for comments that ppl make, dun bother lor. I know its not easy lah... Bcoz last time I oso very sad lor, when ppl make comments say dun BF dun this dun that. Until I got angry n told them off straight in the face. I was very rude lah, i told them wanna make further comments den get out of my house...

Most importantly dun stress urself out... After 2 babies and another 1 comin out 2nite, I know how to handle them already:D

For gd supply = Eat more fish(Threadfin or Cod Fish is gd!) , drink more water, dun stress urself, have more rest and if have to try to take Fenugreek...

Take care ya? :)
Hi Mich_liu82,

Thks for ur encouragement! And congrats to you in welcoming ur 3rd baby tonite! Waiting for ur updates ya!

I'll get my Hb to help me to buy the Fenugreek from GNC or Nature's Farm. Hopefully I can get more supply cos my boy is very impatient. And wheneva he wail, I'll panick and give him FM 1st..

uddermummy

mich liu,

Congrats! Looking forward to hearing about your new addition!

Kenxf,

no worries, I've been thru and am still going thru all these anti-bf crap so i understand how you're feeling.

the first month is really tough, cos you keep worrying that bb is not getting enuf and many ignoramuses, including some pediatricians!, will stress you into thinking you're not a competent mum.

To increase the milk flow, it's really impt to let bb latch often and latch correctly.

as for the ignoramuses who tell you you don't have enuf milk, tell them that they are not the baby so they are not in a position to speak! Hee. Or if convenient, squirt them with bm, which i heard was what someone did. Haha.

Doris Fok, a lact consultant, is really good. I had her twice and she was really understanding and knowledgeable, and her experiences are really encouraging. You can get her no from the breastfeeding mother's support group website if you want to know whether your bm is enuf. You can also ask for rosalind lin from thomson medical. She's good too. I feel that only lact consultants, not even docs!, are qualified to tell use whether we have enuf milk or not...

Cheer up, have enuf rest and take care of yourself! If you need to get things off your chest, you can always pm me. :)

Last edited: