Afraid that baby will think caregiver is mommy

chubbymonster

Hi everyone,

My baby boy is 9 months old, being taken care of by my MIL as I work. I stay together with them, so it really is a blessing and I'm really grateful to my MIL for helping to take care of son. Most of the time, he sleeps in her room at night too as he still wakes during the night, and it is extremely tiring for me if I were to take care of him as I will not be able to concentrate at work the next day.

I am afraid that my son will think that his grandma is his mother! :( It does not help that he has been showing signs of favoritism towards her.. always on the look out for her, crying out for her, etc. I know I should be happy that my son loves and trusts his caregiver! But somehow I have this inherent fear/jealousy that he is closer to her than he is to me and it makes me really upset and paranoid. I'm also afraid that he will call her "Mama"! Fyi, I was only able to BF for a month and he has been on formula since. That makes me even more guilty and I blame myself for not being able to BF and bond with him.

Anyone experiencing the same scenario? Care to share?

Super Cute

No worries on it. Just go with the flow they will soon know who is the mother. Just be a mom and do your routine of maybe feeding him or bathing him meaning there are certain things that you would do on certain hours. Or it could be certain days too. Children as they grow up they will learn and grandparent bonding is encourage. As long as you stick to your mummy's love your child will learn even though you could always be the one looking "bad". Your child will learn that you are doing good for him and will grow to respect you. Do take time to explain to him what going on, why you reacted at a situation, or what you are about to do.