any experience with cradle cap?

my baby has very bad cradle cap. it is hardened like scab (the dried blood on your wound). i finally took the courage to "soak" her head in olive oil and then little comb off the cradle cap. then realized alot of hair gets stuck to the cradle cap and comes falling off with the dried skin. now i really worried that her hair will not grow back.

anyone with similar experience? :wong1:

Feliz

my baby has very bad cradle cap. it is hardened like scab (the dried blood on your wound). i finally took the courage to "soak" her head in olive oil and then little comb off the cradle cap. then realized alot of hair gets stuck to the cradle cap and comes falling off with the dried skin. now i really worried that her hair will not grow back.

Edlycia also got cradle cap but not as bad like ur baby.. doctor gave me e shampoo to wash her hair, i didnt comb off e dried skin but massage her scalp w olive oil only.. So far no hair drop, n i hope wouldnt also.. :001_302:

izanyzam

My baby's cradle cap wasnt that bad.We just poured Johnson's baby oil all over his hair.Once his hair is soaked,we bathed him and it came off..Had to do this quite a few times before it clears up.. :001_302:

isabelandrew

mine - wasn't that bad. PD gave me some shampoo but i did not use. but i use the cheapest option - put pure olive oil.

once daily until it is ok. it works well.

now hair very nice :)

kenxf_03

DS also had cradle cap b4 but wasnt that bad.

I was told to apply some olive oil on his scalp and leave it for awhile. Then I use a cotton pad to slowly go round on the dry skins and slowly it came off! i juz cont'd the action till its totally clear. I did the same thing the next day too juz to make sure he's free from cradle cap.

Now, he's 8mth old and his hair are all grown out nice and evenly. So not to worry,ok? : )

thanks everyone! yup. i started rubbing off with cotton pad too. but it didn't work, cos the scab was just too thick and hard. very little of the cradle cap came off. sigh. really pray hard that her hair will grow back. the skin on her scalp is slightly red now. looks like raw skin.

kenxf_03

thanks everyone! yup. i started rubbing off with cotton pad too. but it didn't work, cos the scab was just too thick and hard. very little of the cradle cap came off. sigh. really pray hard that her hair will grow back. the skin on her scalp is slightly red now. looks like raw skin.

Tried to do it everyday with cotton pads or soft brush?? Cos if its thick, u hv to do it slowly as baby's scalp is soft. I'd suggest that u do it once everyday and slowly get rid of the cradle cap instead of insisting to remove the dried skin which may in turn hurt ur baby's scalp.

diymummy

It is normal for hair to come off with or without cradle cap when baby hits 3 mths. They will stay somewhat bald for a while before new hair will grow.

My baby had bad cradle cap too. It would also be itchy for him and he would scratch it till it bleeds. When I breastfeed him there'd always be a layer of pus on my arm.

My PD prescribed me Dentinox cradle cap shampoo. You can buy it from any pharmacy.

I wanted to use olive oil but the idea of scrapping it off seems very painful to me so I didn't try it.

I also bought Physiogel lotion to apply lightly on his scalp after his bath. The lotion usually eases his itchiness. After using the shampoo and lotion for abt a month, his condition improved drastically. The lotion is essentially just a moisturizer. It is hypoallergenic and without additives like preservatives or perfurme.

uddermummy

like diymummy, my bb suffered from v bad cradle cap. Olive oil and brushing didn't work. My girl would also scratch her head till it was bleeding.

We were told to use Dentinox by a pd, and we're still using it now. That was the only thing that helped with the cradle cap, and has helped to keep the cradle cap away.

Don't worry about the hair loss. The cradle cap must fall off for the scalp to heal, and the hair will definitely fall off with the cradle cap. The hair will slowly grow back.

My girl is no longer bald. :)

diymummy, uddermummy, thx for e advise. Looks like i shld hv just persisted with dentinox shampoo. i'm also using it. I din see much chg tat why got worried. Now i know to just keep going with the shampoo.

uddermummy

mummysketches, actually at first i thought the shampoo wasn't working cos the cradle cap was still on the scalp.

I had to manually remove the cradle cap by picking at the loose ones. Of course, I was v careful about it, and made sure my hands were v clean. I waited for like 2 months before realising that the cradle cap wasn't going to fall off on its own.

Jerlene

My gal is 4 month now. She is still having cradle cap.
I am using the shampoo and olive oil at the same time.
We can only remove the cap when it is soft and loose. We just have to keep doing it till everything came off.
Dear mothers, just be patient. The hair will definitely grow back.

JazN

Hi Jerlene,

perhaps you want to try using the olive oil first leave it on for abt 20mins then wash it off with detinox shampoo. Mine got cleared by 3 months.

Good luck!

My gal is 4 month now. She is still having cradle cap.
I am using the shampoo and olive oil at the same time.
We can only remove the cap when it is soft and loose. We just have to keep doing it till everything came off.
Dear mothers, just be patient. The hair will definitely grow back.

mummysketches, actually at first i thought the shampoo wasn't working cos the cradle cap was still on the scalp.

I had to manually remove the cradle cap by picking at the loose ones. Of course, I was very careful about it, and made sure my hands were very clean. I waited for like 2 months before realising that the cradle cap wasn't going to fall off on its own.
uddermummy.

agree. initially i thought dentinox shampoo was working cos i saw the cradle cap turned whitish after washing. but once the hair dried up, the cradle cap also dried up. nothing fell off.

now i change strategy. will leave olive oil in before bath, for about an hour or so, then wash it off with dentinox. seems to work better. duno if it is the shampoo or the olive oil that is working.

removing cradle cap is really a slow and long drawn process. just hope it doesn't come back.

cocraze

Does cradle cap look like yellowish dried flakes on baby scalp? Something like dandruff? My girl scalp covered with these yellowish flakes that look like fish scales. I was told it was cradle cap. So far I tried usual shampooing during bath sometimes decrease, sometimes the area affected increase.

Today, I tried applying olive oil on her scalp by dipping a cotton pad in the oil and dabbing on the affected areas. End up mostly on her hair but some on her scalp. I didn't wait very long, only abt 10 mins before bathing her. Washed her hair with baby shampoo as normal. When I dried her, realise become whitish soft mushy stuff that now got stuck onto both her hair and scalp. Should I continue? Should I comb her scalp before or after the shampooing/bath?

Mummy to Baby V

My boy had bad cradle cap too.
Got rid of it by applying Buds baby oil, waited for 15 minutes, comb it away.
A lot of hair fell and the skin did look reddish and raw. That was the only way I could get rid of the thick hard layer.

Then used Buds Cradle Cap Cleansing Lotion to wash his head, very gentle and moisturizing shampoo.

Boy's hair grew back after some months and he is handsome again. :)

Feel free to read about our experience at cradle cap |

Marcie Mom

Hi! My child has cradle cap, up until almost one year old. It started getting yellowish, crusty, greasy real quick, and I made the mistake of leaving the olive oil to soften the crust on the scalp during a nap. Do not do so.. My baby turned out to have eczema, and I think she's sensitive to the fragrance in the olive oil (which we didn't know then that fragrance is a common irritant to eczema skin). Also, we made the mistake of not removing the crust promptly, and removing too late pulls too much hair out. Fortunately, 2 years have passed and we no longer see those no-hair spots on her scalp.
My cradle cap journey and for those with eczema children, do join my monthly meetings!
Does your baby have eczema and cradle cap | Eczema Blues

Take care!
Mei aka MarcieMom

Alisa

my son cradle cap got worst too when i apply olive oil to his head, end up i just use baby shampoo and wash his hair, his cradle cap cleared up within the week.