Any mummies bring your kid to treatment or activity other than the usual PT/OT??

ping26

Here's another contact for cheap acupuncture :

Singapore Chinese Physicians' Association
Singapore Chinese Physicians' Association

Singapore Chung Hwa Medical Institution (Yishun Branch)
Blk 215 Yishun Street 21 #01-301 Singapore 760215
Tel : 65-67567830
Fax: 65-67563973

The queue at Yishun branch is much shorter than Toa Payoh branch. (just don't go on Monday mornings)

However, I'm not sure of efficacy of acupuncture. The fees are less than $10 per session (w/o medication), so it's worth a try if you are keen on exploring acupuncture.

My personal hypothesis is acupuncture before OT or PT (stimulation) may facilitate learning.

TCM can also help in relieving digestive problems and pain.

Hihi... any reason why you stop bringing your son to accupunture??

I am attending a miracle service at church every sat... You staying at Yishun?? Not too sure Yishun got any miracle service there, but woodlands got this Lighthouse Church conduct miracle service every sat evening... =)
Hi Sushigal
Gosh, so sorry, i haven't checked this thread for more than a month.
I brought my son to acupuncture becoz I heard that there were kids who were cured of autism through acpuncture...honestly tho I don't really see much effect.
Yea, I attend Lighthouse church at woodlands. So far go only on Sundays, have yet to go to the Miracle Service yet tho
Do you attend on Sundays? It would be great to meet up. I attend the 1115 service

ping26

Hi Sushigal
Gosh, so sorry, i have not't checked this thread for more than a month.
I brought my son to acupuncture becoz I heard that there were kids who were cured of autism through acpuncture...honestly tho I dont't really see much effect.
I don't think acupuncture can cure autism or other childhood dev disabilities. Touted "cures" are usu misinformation.

There are good results fr acupuncture for some stroke or cancer patients, mainly in neuromuscular areas, pain relief and insomnia ass w stress.

If a child has a medical problem, acupuncture may be of help. A child who is not in pain, discomfort or sleep-deprived will be calmer and more teachable.

TCM has some benefits for constipation, certain types of reflux and migraine, tinnitus, stomach cramps, tactile sensitivity. Unfortunately, rigidity and obsession can't be treated.

epicurean

Hi ping26,

Thanks for clarifying the uses & benefits of acupuncture. My in laws keep pressurising us to bring my boy for acupuncture to cure him of his brain damage ... they're convinced that's the cure for him. Trying to explain things to them is like knocking our heads against the wall.

sushigal

Hi Ladies, sorry I was quite busy recently and din have the time to login here.

We attended Lighthouse, Miracle Service at Tampines. Glad that few of you did attend the service at Woodlands. Yes God is doing his work in our child in all different ways. =)

kristen_mum

Hi mummies,

Anyone of you use the exercise ball at home to do physiotherapy for your child? Although the hospital uses it on him everyweek during his PT, I want to get one so that we can also do it at home to help him in his head support. I have seen some sport shops selling but not sure if those are suitable for a 1 year old child with CP condition.

Any recommendations?

sushigal

Hi mummies,

Anyone of you use the exercise ball at home to do physiotherapy for your child? Although the hospital uses it on him everyweek during his PT, I want to get one so that we can also do it at home to help him in his head support. I have seen some sport shops selling but not sure if those are suitable for a 1 year old child with CP condition.

Any recommendations?
Hi you might wanna get advice from your PT regarding doing it at home. It'll be dangerous to do it yourself if you do not know how to handle it correctly. We are not the professional yah. If your PT is confident of you doing it at home with your child, you might wanna ask him the dimension of the ball you shld get. Dimension like 65 or 75 can get much cheaper than a bigger ones, which can cost more than 100 bucks and only selling at 'special' stores like DNR Wheels or Rehabmart.

epicurean

Hi mummies,

Any recommendations?
Hi kristen_mum,

I used to use a Reebok gym ball (friends got it from a sports shop) when my boy was younger (less than a year old). Now I use a peanut roll (exercise ball in the shape of a peanut) coz that allows for exercises that need me to sit with him on the ball. Available from DnR Wheels.

Some suggestions:
Try asking your PT for any specific requirements for the exercise ball and exercises that you can do at home with your child.

Video your PT doing those exercises so that you have a point of reference when you're at home.

Video yourself doing those exercises with your child so that PT can check that you're doing it correctly and safely.

Hope this helps!