Any mummies try Medela Breast pump before??

Hi,

I heard from my friends tat Medela breast pump is good.. Any mummies try it before?? My frd oso mentioned tat they offer rental service of the pumps as well.. Is it true??

JenLee98

Am using the Medela Dual Electric (Original) now..... good I should say...... costs $499 from KKH My First Few years shop.

MummyGrace

Ya very ex. Mine is dual electric pump. Very gd.. jus hold the pump there and it will auto pump 4 u.. :red:

bluechin

BMSG Moderator
Personally i found that my Medela PIS Traveller is well worth the value i paid for it.
Bought it at $699 more than 4 years ago and used it ever since for my 2 children.

I did a rough count estimate once. :p Assuming i buy a 1.5 tins of formula a week. A mth i wld need 6 tins. That wld easier cost me $120 a mth so i wld breakeven in 6.5mths?

AngelLove

Personally i found that my Medela PIS Traveller is well worth the value i paid for it.
Bought it at $699 more than 4 years ago and used it ever since for my 2 children.

I did a rough count estimate once. :p Assuming i buy a 1.5 tins of formula a week. A mth i wld need 6 tins. That wld easier cost me $120 a mth so i wld breakeven in 6.5mths?
Dear Bluechin,

Since you have been using your PIS Traveller for 4 years, did you ever send it for servicing ? How often do you change the parts ?

meiying

i used meleda electric pump (1 side only) and find it gd also.. just tat its only 1 side.. selling abt $170 at mum & babes, quite a gd catch!

naze

I used meleda electric pump, good but regretted didnt buy dual. I bought for $198 if I dont remember wrongly at Mt Alvernia.

dawn

Hi hi, I have used both the medela mini electric as well as medela Pump In Style (original).

If ur budget permits, i'd strongly recommend getting a dual pump like the PIS. it is quieter, powerful and thus, efficient. U can spend more quality time w the baby rather than trying hard not to doze off while expressing! Plus, expressing milk fr two breasts at one time could also "fool" the body to produce more breastmilk over time.

And don't fret too much abt the upfront costs, becos you can dispose the pump when u decide to stop one day. U can sell it off (because the motor for the dual pump is long lasting) at eBay or contact Parentcraft at TMC - who help mummies source for second hand pumps. [which also means u can look for 2nd hand ones from these two places! :001_302:]

And there will be buyers, i myself got the PIS from eBay!

Lastly, to me, breastmilk is priceless (u just can't buy it off the shelf)- so i avoid comparing the costs of providing breastmilk to my bb w the costs of powdered milk - but that's just my way of rationalising internally!
:wong19:

Hope this helps.....

p.s. i intend to keep my PIS at home and leave the mini electric at office.

Last edited:

AngelLove

Hi hi, I have used both the medela mini electric as well as medela Pump In Style (original).

If ur budget permits, i'd strongly recommend getting a dual pump like the PIS. it is quieter, powerful and thus, efficient. U can spend more quality time w the baby rather than trying hard not to doze off while expressing! Plus, expressing milk fr two breasts at one time could also "fool" the body to produce more breastmilk over time.

And don't fret too much abt the upfront costs, becos you can dispose the pump when u decide to stop one day. U can sell it off (because the motor for the dual pump is long lasting) at eBay or contact Parentcraft at TMC - who help mummies source for second hand pumps. [which also means u can look for 2nd hand ones from these two places! :001_302:]

And there will be buyers, i myself got the PIS from eBay!

Lastly, to me, breastmilk is priceless (u just can't buy it off the shelf)- so i avoid comparing the costs of providing breastmilk to my bb w the costs of powdered milk - but that's just my way of rationalising internally!
:wong19:

Hope this helps.....

p.s. i intend to keep my PIS at home and leave the mini electric at office.
Hi Dawn,

How much did you pay for your PIS and how old is it when you bought it ? Did you sent for servicing first before using ?

dawn

Hi Dawn,

How much did you pay for your PIS and how old is it when you bought it ? Did you sent for servicing first before using ?
Hi,

I think my hubby got it for me off ebay for ard $300 - $400, i think seller said she has only used it for 3 months or so.

i did not send it for servicing as it seem to work OK, except I changed new funnels and membranes for hygiene reasons. thankfully, it's still working fine today, despite 2 months of frequent usage....:001_302:

LittleJuan

Hi,

I've bought the medela advance PIS for $519 at The First Few Years. I've tried using the medela mini electric but the motor is really noisy. My advice is if you are going to express often, go for the PIS. It will last you many years. The motor is also under warrantly for 18 months if I'm not wrong. The motor for the mini electric is only good for 3 months or so if you are going to use it frequently.

Velvenie

Am using the Medela Dual Electric (Original) now..... good I should say...... costs $499 from KKH My First Few years shop.
Me using this as well. But normally didn't used both pump cos ds like to latch on 1 side of my breast so after latching him i'll pump out the other side. So far so good lah... I bough it at Takashimaya Baby Fair come with a cooler bag. It cos me about $289 (can't really remember the price)

sleepymama

I bought my PIS Advanced from KKH's First Few Years at a promo price of less than $500 I think! Can't really remember liao. That was in June 2006.

Earlier this year, I sent it in for servicing cos just to be sure the motor is working well and they didn't charge me although the warranty has expired. They said the motor is still working fine and they didn't charge me cos it was the first servicing! I'm still using it, twice a day and it's still going strong.

Besides, I've also used the Medela Mini Electric for my first child. It was good but only lasted slightly over a year. So, if you intend to use it for more than one child, best to invest in a robust pump like the PIS. :)

alanine

Medela PIS works for me too! I pump 3x a day at work! I'm lucky, cos a fren loan me her set!
Maybe we should start a PUMPING club for those who are actively pumping for their babies!

AngelLove

Hi,

I've bought the medela advance PIS for $519 at The First Few Years. I've tried using the medela mini electric but the motor is really noisy. My advice is if you are going to express often, go for the PIS. It will last you many years. The motor is also under warrantly for 18 months if I'm not wrong. The motor for the mini electric is only good for 3 months or so if you are going to use it frequently.
Hi LittleJuan,

I thought Medela PIS Advance costs about S$700, how come you get yours at only S$519. Is it on promo ?

Ian_Eve

Sounded so good! i am expecting my PIS to reach me this week. I bought it direct from US. Much more cheaper. Less then $500 for the metro bag version but was told that i have to do something about the adapter as the version from US's adapter cannot be used in spore but thk small prob...

Btr then spending 700+ :)

yunee47

I bought my PIS Advanced from KKH's First Few Years at a promo price of less than $500 I think! Can't really remember liao. That was in June 2006.

Earlier this year, I sent it in for servicing cos just to be sure the motor is working well and they didn't charge me although the warranty has expired. They said the motor is still working fine and they didn't charge me cos it was the first servicing! I'm still using it, twice a day and it's still going strong.

Besides, I've also used the Medela Mini Electric for my first child. It was good but only lasted slightly over a year. So, if you intend to use it for more than one child, best to invest in a robust pump like the PIS. :)

Hi may i know where i can service the Medela breastpump? I think the pump unit for mine is a bit faulty. Does anyone know if there is a service centre?

LittleJuan

Hi AngelLove.Yes it was on offer. I bought the older model which has the let down stimulation as well. The newer model comes with some button to toggle between letdown and pumping. But the sales assistant advise that the model that I bought can also do that simply by on/off. So why pay more. I think they still having promotion if I'm not wrong. can check out their websitehttp://www.firstfewyears.com.sg/warehouse/index.htm