Any teacher mummies or mummies to be?

Hi all, I'm expecting my number one. Just wana ask if maternity leave is considered part of bond period?

I actually have plans to quit, my school leaders and RO are extremely unsympathetic, probably becuz they are all
unmarried spinsters. But I'm worried about finding jobs outside, starting afresh. Nonetheless, I'm really kinda tired of teaching already. Anyone in the same shoes?

Gee thanks, so glad to know I don't have to return the bond... Then if we take npl after the bond, is it true that there's a moral obligation to return the number of months that we took?

babyJuan

Yup. If u take NPL within the bond, ur bond will end late lor. Depending on how many months NPL u take. So give birth every year Lo! And ur bond will end very fast!! Haha. That was what I planned initially when I still under bond. Too bad I took 2 years to conceived. By the time I conceived, my bond alr over. (@.@)|||

I have a five years bond and it's ending next June, but it happens to be when I'm taking my ml. I actually wanted to quit after my ml in August, need to tender one month in advance right? I also plan to break ml into 2+2 if allowed, plan to look for a new job during ml.... My bond ends June 1 but my ml starts in April, glad that I dont't have to repay it... At least can enjoy the last two mths of bond period...

Hi, it is uikely tat u can break ml into 2+2 unless there's a good reason. At least tat was wat I was told when I wanted to do tat for my second child.

Need to serve one mth notice before u quit. I suppose u hv taken the amt paid fr connect plan? Then really nothing much to wait for unless u wan wait for yr end bonus.

msck

I enjoyed n love teaching myself. But now tt my bb is growing so fast, i am considering of taking npl for term 1.... So i can spend at least first 6 mths with her!!! Just watch her sleeping can be such a joy. Cute max!!!

Or tell my ro to lighten my loads... I dun really care abt rank n promotion honestly. But I still have bond to clear....

felicity

I am taking additional no pay leave after ml so my bond will end later but I do love teaching, so dun intend to quit yet..

Some sch leaders allow to break ml up. Unfortunately my sch cannot so will eat into my hols. My friend's sch is v generous.. She can take sept n oct, then break but nov n dec no need go back sch, then continue ml jan n feb.. If only I could do that! I will be able to save up for 2 more mths!! Now I'm worrying abt my one sem npl cos savings v depleted :/

wah! so many teachers here!

I also enjoy teaching. really really luv to interact with the kids and teach them things.2 Sometimes they are the ones who teach me things! I really dun like the extra thingy that comes in our job scope. what committee, admin work and all the other non-teaching related stuff. sigh. if only i can just teach.

felicity, your fren sch so good! i also lugi the dec hol for both my kids. you taking npl to take care of baby? actually i also feel like taking npl to spend time with 2 kids but my hubby doesnt approve. nowadays everything so ex. it's gonna b a little toughwith single income.

Hi all anyone knows if it's all right to quit straight after ml? Or do I have to serve a mth's notice after ml to be eligible to quit?

msck

Felicity! U r a teacher too! *wink*

Anyway autumnfall, i think depends on sch leaders. Cos it doesn't make sense if u serve tt 1 mth notice when sch jus started. It's like after u work for a mth, then must deploy teachers to take ur class? I think u may wan to share w them ur concern or tot before they plan the deployment.

Anyone considered 3/4 loads or adjunct??

if i m not wrong, after u come back fr ML then you can submit your resignation n stay for 1 mth to serve the notice. if you wan to go straight after your ML, means you hv to resign while on ml n i think u will lose the last mth of ml.

if you r on npl then is diff story.

i went to find out diff between all the different schemes cos i really want to take a step back. found tat is really depend on how you negogiate with sch leaders. part time n flexi adjunct's workload is subjected to negotiation n u may still need to do departmental work. contract adjunct is more like relief teacher kind as in pay by hourly rate but then is usu long term engagement. i hv a colleague who was on 2/3 n she managed to negotiate for only full teaching load with no additional departmental work. so no need set paper! so really depend.

but my sch's part time quota is maxed out so i cant apply. hv to wait. most teachers i heard who r on part time say is not worth cos workload still a lot. so many say do contract adjunct the best. then you can go gv tuition outside. more worthwhile. but then contract adjunct means no bonus, no mc etc.....

msck

Ya lo... Give n take. At least more flexible. My fren's colleague got 2/3 too. Full teaching. Got to set papers also. But no cca, no committee, no form class!!! So really just teach n do own subject.

Felicity, how many mth npl u taking? My hubby is very supportive actually. He wishes me to be sahm. Lol. Full time tuition. But got maid at home already, think i should bring in income. At least cover for myself n maid.

sigh, felicity and MSCK, your hubbies very good. let you take NPL. mine is like dead against and when I whined, he reluctantly said ok but i know he doesn;t like the idea. ok la, one thing is i m staying with in laws and both of them can help take care of the kids but I want to spend time with them mah!

i was actually thinking of doing full time tuition and mayb go tuition centre to get some fixed income also. you think is sustainable? my fren once told me she was earning like $4k monthly as a teacher. she calculated that if she wants to be earning the same, she must fetch $7-8K as a tutor to cover the bonus, mc. I know a fren who qiutted and teach in an enrichment centre earning $7k a mth excluding bonus and mc and leaves!but really need the luck to be able to find such opportunity.

btw, msck, you cannot accept pm anymore. your inbox is full :)

Hi... Jus wan to ask, if I tender resignation one month before ml ends, so they still forfeit the one month of ml? Cuz I really intend to quit and find a new job, can't stand teaching Aldy, my school culture sucks too..

autumnfall, that i m not so sure. best is to call moe hr to ask. but come to think of it,ml is your entitlement, they cant take it away fr you. my guess is either they force you to come back one mth to serve notice or you compensate them with one mth salary shd u not wan serve notice (think this clause was in our employment contract)

Haiz if really need to go back and serve the one month, I will be very Sian... Think I will resort to taking npl and quit after that, I'm not willing to go back to work after ml...

msck

Lol. Cleared inbox.

Sigh. Today i was running errands whole day n attended a birthday party at night. Few hours din get to see bb n din get to direct latch her. =( miss her terribly all the time.. Dunno how to go back sch to teach.....