Any teacher mummies or mummies to be?

diza

My early days are Mon and Wed so I can go home by 2pm. The rest ends by 5pm. I also cannot finish my work so I will bring back worksheets to mark. Free periods are usually spent on pumping or doing admin work. I hate to mark halfway. I always pump during recess and one more after sch before supp class/meetings/cca starts. I love to teach and I love my kids but there's so many things to do after sch ends. Seems never ending.. Sigh.. And then even when u r sick or away, u still need to think of relief work for ur pupils.. No matter how much I whine, at the end of the day, I still love this job just that I wish I can manage my time better.

Diza, I hv same sentiments as yours. I Luv teaching but with so many things on hand, difficult to cope. Before I had kids, I was very hardworking n could work till late. I was even enjoying preparing materials for class. Now it seemed such a waste of time to do so when I could hv spend the time with my own kids. Sch is crazy lately. With so many prog n initiatives, I really dunno if I can tahan anymore. I feel like doing adjunct or part time. Full load is too much for me.

diza

My point exactly. We are dedicated tchrs and we have the passion to teach but now our own kids is our priority. Sometimes I feel so guilty when my hubby entertains him and I'm just beside them marking. I want to take degree but I'm so worried that I will not have enough quality time with my boy. Hubby asked me to further study before planning for no 2. I plan to take degree once I stop BF him or maybe after he turns 1. With my current scale, not worth to take part time or be adjunct. I really wonder how those teachers with kids survives, especially when they hold key positions..

msck

same same!!!! i wanted to do asjunct or sth. but my ro is very kind n gave me all the nice classes to teach... my committee boss also try to give me lightet role.

I dunno how the kps handle it. I feel so bad whenever I dun have time for my bb. n at the same time, worry tt I din plan my lesson proper.
n w the graduating class, I dun wan to affect them too. sigh.

they should have holidays for mother day.. sigh. such a struggle. really...

diza

I just took PCL yesterday. It's under unrecorded leave and doesn't require any MC under parents name but if ur P is particular, better get MC or a note from the doc if u are accompanying ur parents for check-up. Since my mom went to the doc yest, told her to take MC so I can show to my P.

Hi diza I completed unisim two yrs ago and I think u shld do the same cuz it really makes a lot of difference... be it promotion or pay raise...

Otherwise, I really feel that the job is not worth staying especially for a mother to be like me... I cannot imagine waking up sooooo early in e morning and bringing work home to mark when I have an infant to care for... having a baby is no joke... anyway the npl for term 3 has begun application, quite tempted to take... haiz

Coolbeans

Hi all,

I'm expecting my first child in July :)

I gather that many of you teach in mainstream right? My situation is a little different as I teach in a special school and the working hours are shorter. I do not have to carry home heavy loads of workbooks for marking and I do not have any tests or assessments to set. However, the biggest difficulty I face when teaching is classroom management (especially students with behavior problems, ADD or ADHD). I simply have no energy or strength now to run after them or control them.

My P and RO know that I'm pregnant but I have not told my colleagues yet. So they still ask me to help them to pack resources, zap worksheets, carry and deliver teaching materials to them, or arrow me to do other 'bo liao' things. Maybe it's the crazy hormones, but I find myself getting very irritated over these little things, especially things that other people should be doing themselves. I've also been on medical leave several times since the start of school because I keep getting flu and cough that never seems to fully heal and go away.

I love my very much students and I really enjoy teaching them. I want to be responsible when teaching them and meet lesson pacing, but I feel so sian when I think of all the paperwork, and so scared of falling sick again whenever I return back to school after resting.

msck

Yup. U ought to tell ur closer colleagues or colleagues in ur circle.

Alternatively!!! U can do it subtly.haha... wear some maternity clothes to office. Walk really slowly like u have back ache or hip pain. They will ask u. Haha.. then u just say yes lo.

msck

But hey, pls take care n dun increase ur blood pressure too much in the first 3mth. I have heard cases when the mom got miscarriage before. Bb just stopped heatbeat.

N i think as we are teachers, we have to announce even if we ought not to in the first 3mth. Cos we are surrounded by running kids. So u should tell ur form class. They will take care of u. N classes u teach, they will be more careful.

diza

It's good to tell them in the first tri so that they can prepare deployment.. I told my P after I hit 2 mths coz by then, I've taken too many ML and it was only in Feb! And once u tell ur colleagues, you will be surprised at how concern they will be. But I didn't tell my kids coz I was taking a P1 class last yr. Was worried that parents would start making noise. Only told the kids abt my pregnancy after 6 mths coz I can't hide my tummy and my kids commented I looked fat! Hahaha. Anyway Happy CNY to all of u.. Long holidays to clear admin work and spend quality time with ur kids!

I'm on full working year last year but NPL this year am I still eligible for Performance Bonus this march. As PB is based on work done last year but afraid might not get as I'm on NPL. Abt mommies know?

hello, any teaching mommies care to share your pump schedule while at work? like what are your pump intervals and where do you pump in school? i am returning to work soon, and hope to cont to feed my baby breastmilk.

diza

I pump during recess at 10 am and the next one at 2pm if I have something on after sch. There's a nursing room in the staff room.

msck

I pump morning before I go sch at abt 6. Then pump again 11-1pm.. depend on timetable. Then will be home by 6-7 to pump again.

I followed that well until my timetable changed. N I have no longer break (45-60min will not be so rush) from 11-4pm. N I have Engorged breast =( so today onwards. I going to pump at 1030, then 4 pump again.

My school has no nursing room. So I using the kp meeting room. If its used, I will have to use the printing room......

I pump morning before I go sch at abt 6. Then pump again 11-1pm.. depend on timetable. Then will be home by 6-7 to pump again.

I followed that well until my timetable changed. N I have no longer break (45-60min will not be so rush) from 11-4pm. N I have Engorged breast =( so today onwards. I going to pump at 1030, then 4 pump again.

My school has no nursing room. So I using the kp meeting room. If its used, I will have to use the printing room......
Oh, thanks MSCK and DIZA. :D

i am also afraid of getting engorged breasts because I have had mastitis before and it was a really scary and painful experience.

msck

Really hard to be an expressing mom while teaching. There were so many days I had to settle some admin work or discipline work tt I missed expressing milk. A few times I pump again when I reach home at 6+. 12 hours no pump
=(

Fyi. I am discipline teacher n teaching upper sec. Sigh

Really hard to be an expressing mom while teaching. There were so many days I had to settle some admin work or discipline work tt I missed expressing milk. A few times I pump again when I reach home at 6+. 12 hours no pump
=(

Fyi. I am discipline teacher n teaching upper sec. Sigh
OMG. :( Sigh. I am still a contract teacher, so i am going back to finish a month before going to NIE.So hopefully after NIE, my baby is abt 1 and half years old...shld be alr dun need express anymore.