anybody can advice??

chuaeil

Hi,
i intend to sent my girl to GUG or JG but both are quite expensive. What is the best age to sent her cos don't want to waste my money. I was thinking 1 or 2 yr. Or any recommendation similar to the both sch? Thank you very much.

Cheers
Eileen

autumn82

Hi,
i intend to sent my girl to GUG or JG but both are quite expensive. What is the best age to sent her cos don't want to waste my money. I was thinking 1 or 2 yr. Or any recommendation similar to the both sch? Thank you very much.

Cheers
Eileen
Hey darling,

Some of my frens sent their kids to GUG as early as 9mths old.. Erm.. Abit stressful for the kids ma? LOL.

chuaeil

Hey darling,

Some of my frens sent their kids to GUG as early as 9mths old.. Erm.. Abit stressful for the kids ma? LOL.
They are more fun activity and for them to social around so i dont see is stress.
Hey babe you must create and let them know that lerning is fun not stressful. If is stressful then something is wrong. Every learning should be fun so you have to change your thinking concept ( stressful) to lerning is fun then your kid will feel that way cos kid normally feel how you feel so dont pass the wrong message. If not next time she will think study again!!! so you must let her feel study yeah i like it!!! This is my point of view. For me i dont want my kid in future facing this kind of stress cos me myself not being brought up in a good manner but now with so much of knowelage that i learn i will prepare her rather throw her to suffer. Hope it helps. :)

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
chuaeil said:
Hi,

Cheers
Eileen
My Seamus started attending GUG in Jan this year, at 21 months old.
Their set-up is such ... Gifted Babes (8 to 18 mths) & Gifted Tots (18 to 30 mths).

From what I can observe over the last months, I think it's not wise to let your kiddo join when he's just met the age limit ... for example, when he's 8-10 mths or 18-21 mths.
This is becoz your kiddo will be at a disadvantage when compared to the other kiddos in his class ... who are older & therefore, already can do more in terms of psycho-motor, cognitive & communicative skills.

Inadvertently, you'd be creating the stress & tension for your kiddo ... which you already said you dun wish to do.
:biggrin: :biggrin:

chuaeil

My Seamus started attending GUG in Jan this year, at 21 months old.
Their set-up is such ... Gifted Babes (8 to 18 mths) & Gifted Tots (18 to 30 mths).

From what I can observe over the last months, I think it's not wise to let your kiddo join when he's just met the age limit ... for example, when he's 8-10 mths or 18-21 mths.
This is becoz your kiddo will be at a disadvantage when compared to the other kiddos in his class ... who are older & therefore, already can do more in terms of psycho-motor, cognitive & communicative skills.

Inadvertently, you'd be creating the stress & tension for your kiddo ... which you already said you dun wish to do.
Hi VroomVroomBoys,
thanks for the reply. Thats the good point
( when he's 8-10 mths or 18-21 mths.
This is becoz your kiddo will be at a disadvantage when compared to the other kiddos in his class ... who are older & therefore, already can do more in terms of psycho-motor, cognitive & communicative skills.) you have point out. So dose it mean that i sent her when she 1 yr old to the Gifted Babes? :)

autumn82

They are more fun activity and for them to social around so i dont see is stress.
Hey babe you must create and let them know that lerning is fun not stressful. If is stressful then something is wrong. Every learning should be fun so you have to change your thinking concept ( stressful) to lerning is fun then your kid will feel that way cos kid normally feel how you feel so dont pass the wrong message. If not next time she will think study again!!! so you must let her feel study yeah i like it!!! This is my point of view. For me i dont want my kid in future facing this kind of stress cos me myself not being brought up in a good manner but now with so much of knowelage that i learn i will prepare her rather throw her to suffer. Hope it helps. :)
I know and definitely won't think that learning is stressful!! :tlaugh:But my point is that at such age, they would prob be better off learning from urself & 1st instead from such centres. Like wat Vroom had said, it would be a disadvantage to the kids @ such age.

From my pt of view. I feel that instead of bombarding babies wif all sorts of educational dvds, flashcards, blahblah, y not incorportate some "exercusions" and bring them out for simple outings to the zoo, beach, gardens blahblahblah for more onsite seeing to get a real feel of it? I've tried on DD and it works for her. Not sure if it applies to all though. :tlaugh:

chuaeil

I know and definitely won't think that learning is stressful!! :tlaugh:But my point is that at such age, they would prob be better off learning from urself & 1st instead from such centres. Like wat Vroom had said, it would be a disadvantage to the kids @ such age.

From my pt of view. I feel that instead of bombarding babies wif all sorts of educational dvds, flashcards, blahblah, y not incorportate some "exercusions" and bring them out for simple outings to the zoo, beach, gardens blahblahblah for more onsite seeing to get a real feel of it? I've tried on DD and it works for her. Not sure if it applies to all though. :tlaugh:
I agreed with your point too.... but some of the thing have to be done in school especially JG or GUG cos we wont have that kind of Facility... like a group of children... you know lah is difficult to organize outting de some wont turn out. Toys, Most impt is they learn sharing and from their friends... :tlaugh:
Storytelling, music movement.... all this i am not that pro for it so i also have to learn. As for Shichida is because there is still many things I need to learn cos they got alot of ideas how to teach your kid so i will go and learn with my bb and practise at home. In future for my sec one ( if i have ) i dont need to sent her to shichida liao... I can save up that part.
Teaching is not easy so me myself also wants to learn. Free one leh rather go and pay fee to learn teaching, not cheap for teacher course. For expample Phonics we last time dont learn and actually our pronunciation alot of missing sound cos i learn that before but cannot remmber all lah.
But remmember Outing i sure join unless cant make it..... hehe...:tlaugh:

yakii

Hi,

Cheers
Eileen
HI Eileen, my son attended GUG when he is 10mth old till recently when he turn 3yr old we stop cos he is starting pre nursery classes. I feel starting early is good i can see he really pick up alot from there.

chuaeil

HI Eileen, my son attended GUG when he is 10mth old till recently when he turn 3yr old we stop cos he is starting pre nursery classes. I feel starting early is good i can see he really pick up alot from there.
oh that is good to hear that.... happy for you. How do you find the teacher, courses enviroment there, what is your feedback? thanks for your sharing.:tlaugh:

yakii

oh that is good to hear that.... happy for you. How do you find the teacher, courses enviroment there, what is your feedback? thanks for your sharing.:tlaugh:
There is a few good teacher there..like teacher Herli (for babe class), Teacher Devi (for Babe Class), Teacher Khairin (tot class)..there r very cheerful and good Teacher. But all of them my son love Teacher Herli cos she is so skillful handling babies even wif her age, she is a very young teacher. My son just looking forward to go class every week everytime. So blessed!! haa haa

As for the environment, is a little very crowded b4 and after class. N i heard the class is getting bigger now. Last time they onli have like 10 baby in a class..overall i love the place. Very positive teaching

chuaeil

There is a few good teacher there..like teacher Herli (for babe class), Teacher Devi (for Babe Class), Teacher Khairin (tot class)..there r very cheerful and good Teacher. But all of them my son love Teacher Herli cos she is so skillful handling babies even wif her age, she is a very young teacher. My son just looking forward to go class every week everytime. So blessed!! haa haa

As for the environment, is a little very crowded b4 and after class. N i heard the class is getting bigger now. Last time they onli have like 10 baby in a class..overall i love the place. Very positive teaching
Oh ok thanks for your feedback... :tlaugh:

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
chuaeil said:
Hi VroomVroomBoys,
thanks for the reply. Thats the good point ( when he's 8-10 mths or 18-21 mths.
This is becoz your kiddo will be at a disadvantage when compared to the other kiddos in his class ... who are older & therefore, already can do more in terms of psycho-motor, cognitive & communicative skills.) you have point out. So dose it mean that i sent her when she 1 yr old to the Gifted Babes? :)
IMHO, one of the main considerations on whether you should send your kiddo to Gifted Babes really will have to be its affordability ...
Many would quickly emphasise that GUG is expensive, but at less than $600 for a term of 8 weeks (which means less than $10 per day) ... I feel I can forgo some of my own enjoyments to let my son have this lor.
Of course, I can appreciate if you intend to send your kiddo for other enrichment classes ... or even if your kiddo is not the only child you are investing in.
:wink: :wink:

For the record, I did not start Seamus with formal classes until he was 18 months ... my contention was that what can he even learn amidst so many strangers when he cannot even express himself comprehensibly.
For a start, I started sending him to gym classes at JWT, where he picked up social skills while learning to improve on his psycho-motor skills, plus bits & pieces of cognitive skills.
After just 1 term of that, I felt that he has accummulated sufficient confidence & experience ... so, I stopped JWT & commenced on Gifted Tots at the start of this calendar year.

Over at GUG, they regularly display the children's art works on the noticeboards ... I've come to the conclusion that there is no way the Gifted Babes could have done some of these work all by themselves ... or for that matter, understand what the fuss was all about.
More significantly, I've gathered from parents of Seamus' classmates who progressed to Gifted Tots from Gifted Babes that ...
  • either their kiddos are their only child at home, so this was a good channel for their kiddos to pick up on social skills
  • or their kiddos only have the maid as companion all week long, so this was a good channel for the child to be taught the proper way
:brolleyes: :brolleyes:

Now that you've heard a bit more inside information, I guess you will definitely be better placed to invest in your kiddo's education stock ... just dun report me to the authorities.
:rofl: :rofl:

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
autumn82 said:
Like wat Vroom had said, it would be a disadvantage to the kids @ such age.
Ok, ladies ... before I get misrepresented further, I did not say you should not start your kids young. What I am saying is you have to ensure your kid is ready ... as in dun put him in a disadvantaged position, to start with.

autumn82 said:
But my point is that at such age, they would prob be better off learning from urself 1st instead from such centres.
Well, it depends really ... I give you a concrete example.
My Seamus has always been a foodie ... since young, he has no qualms of engaging his hands when eating & as he grow older, he has also become more distracted to make his makan time longer & longer.
At home, we've been trying to explain things to him ... just like you said, we can teach him ourselves. However, we made no headway ...
After he attended GUG, all of these problems have now vanished on its own ... during snack time in class, he has learnt (totally through observations of his own) that everybody else eats with a spoon instead of messy hands & that if you dun eat quick enough, the unfinished snacks will have to be put away when the time is up.
So, you see, when exposed to a playgroup, the kids do get exposed to a subtle but effective form of peer pressure ... which to me, is a good thing.

autumn82 said:
I feel that instead of bombarding babies wif all sorts of educational dvds, flashcards, blahblah, y not incorportate some "exercusions" and bring them out for simple outings to the zoo, beach, gardens blahblahblah for more onsite seeing to get a real feel of it? I've tried on DD and it works for her. Not sure if it applies to all though. :tlaugh:
I'm sure it works ... not just for your daughter, but definitely everybody else too. But where bringing the kiddo to the zoo & the beach is concerned, how often can it happen?
On the contrary, I have purchased a truck's load of DVDs ... including the series from Your Baby Can Read, Brainy Baby, Baby Bumble Bee, Baby First, Pocoyo & Hi-Five.
I dunno if you'd call this "bombarding" but I have a 22" LCD installed on the wall in his playroom ... & I get the maid to broadcast the discs sequentially on a daily basis, but I also tell her not to even bother seating my boy down ... almost like the staff in the CD shop ending up memorising the lyrics of all songs, know what I mean?
Of course, he likes some more than the other ... so much so that he'll even bring his handful of favourite discs to us, to have it played for him.
:laugh: :laugh:

autumn82

Ok, ladies ... before I get misrepresented further, I did not say you should not start your kids young. What I am saying is you have to ensure your kid is ready ... as in dun put him in a disadvantaged position, to start with.

Well, it depends really ... I give you a concrete example.
My Seamus has always been a foodie ... since young, he has no qualms of engaging his hands when eating & as he grow older, he has also become more distracted to make his makan time longer & longer.
At home, we've been trying to explain things to him ... just like you said, we can teach him ourselves. However, we made no headway ...
After he attended GUG, all of these problems have now vanished on its own ... during snack time in class, he has learnt (totally through observations of his own) that everybody else eats with a spoon instead of messy hands & that if you dun eat quick enough, the unfinished snacks will have to be put away when the time is up.
So, you see, when exposed to a playgroup, the kids do get exposed to a subtle but effective form of peer pressure ... which to me, is a good thing.

I'm sure it works ... not just for your daughter, but definitely everybody else too. But where bringing the kiddo to the zoo & the beach is concerned, how often can it happen?
On the contrary, I have purchased a truck's load of DVDs ... including the series from Your Baby Can Read, Brainy Baby, Baby Bumble Bee, Baby First, Pocoyo & Hi-Five.
I dunno if you'd call this "bombarding" but I have a 22" LCD installed on the wall in his playroom ... & I get the maid to broadcast the discs sequentially on a daily basis, but I also tell her not to even bother seating my boy down ... almost like the staff in the CD shop ending up memorising the lyrics of all songs, know what I mean?
Of course, he likes some more than the other ... so much so that he'll even bring his handful of favourite discs to us, to have it played for him.
:laugh: :laugh:
:wong14:Ok.. Start when they r ready. If they do not respond well after being taught at home, pass the job to others who r professional enuff.

Btw, I am guilty of letting DS watching DVDs when I am not free to entertain him. :tlaugh::tlaugh:

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
chuaeil said:
some of the thing have to be done in school especially JG or GUG cos we wont have that kind of Facility... like a group of children... Most impt is they learn sharing and from their friends... Storytelling, music movement.... :tlaugh:
You are right about the environment ... some of the things they set up is just too much an effort to even replicate at home.

The other thing I wanna say is ... JG & GUG (& many others too) have very different concepts & beliefs.
For a start, I didn't send my kiddo to JG ... becoz I dun believe in spending good money to let them just learn how to play. To be very frank, I dun believe in "play, play, play ... & your child will still be a genius" ...
On the contrary, I believe it's healthy to give my kiddos pressure, just dun overdo it (which is the tricky part, of course) ... I mean, we as adults all know that there is no life without pressure, so why teach your kiddos to evade the issue, instead of teaching them how to face & overcome it?

Oh yes, parents also send their kiddos to JG ... also becoz of their good Mandarin program.
In contrast, I must say I am not impressed with GUG in this area ... but of course, I only found out about this deficiency after we have done 1 term. However, I chose GUG (& intend to stay on with them) ... only becoz of 1 thing: ZooPhonics.
I will just say that I am happy so far ...

chuaeil said:
As for Shichida is because there is still many things I need to learn cos they got alot of ideas how to teach your kid so i will go and learn with my bb and practise at home. In future for my sec one ( if i have ) i dont need to sent her to shichida liao... I can save up that part.
Have you started with Shichida?
My Seamus is gonna start his class in early Apr ... after having been on the waiting list since Oct 08.

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
yakii said:
Any reason why you didn't continue those "pre-nursery classes" with GUG?
For that matter, what about his nursery & kindergarten classes?

For the record, I also dun intend to carry on with GUG for his nursery or kindergarten classes ... simply becoz I dun see them offering any more "value-adds" other than the ZooPhonics teachings. I'm pretty sure Seamus would be able to master it all by the end of this year, judging at the rate of progress he's currently making.
:embarrassed: :embarrassed:

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
chuaeil said:
Actually, there is no ONE particular good teacher ... it all depends on how your kiddo respond to him/her.
For example ... just a couple of weeks back, one of the teachers was sick & they had a replacement activated from United Square. This replacement, according to some parents in the class (whose kids had prior experiences in United Square), was one of the best ... but in my eyes, I didn't see that ... in fact, I felt she was not as observant nor patient, compared to the teacher who was sick.

As for environment, let me give you another example.
My Seamus is attending GUG at Suntec City ... which means that he started at the same time when GUG started operations there - in other words, there were no classmates who were more accustomed to the environment than Seamus was.
In contrast, we have new kiddos joining the class now (in the 2nd term) ... either fresh, progressed from Gifted Babes or simply transferred from United Square.
To these newbies, although it was still the very same environment in the class, I sensed that they have quite a bit to overcome ... new classroom setting, new teachers, new routines, etc etc.
So, when the routine songs & activities are being conducted ... these newbies will feel inevitably lost & when compared to those who had been there since the 1st term, these newbies may even feel less competent & less confident ... & it's no fault of theirs, really.

In conclusion, I have to register that a lot depends on circumstances ... if you're not sure about GUG, why dun you sign up for a trial class with them? Go feel it for yourself ... before subjecting your kiddo to it all on a regular basis.

chuaeil

You are right about the environment ... some of the things they set up is just too much an effort to even replicate at home.

The other thing I wanna say is ... JG & GUG (& many others too) have very different concepts & beliefs.
For a start, I didn't send my kiddo to JG ... becoz I dun believe in spending good money to let them just learn how to play. To be very frank, I dun believe in "play, play, play ... & your child will still be a genius" ...
On the contrary, I believe it's healthy to give my kiddos pressure, just dun overdo it (which is the tricky part, of course) ... I mean, we as adults all know that there is no life without pressure, so why teach your kiddos to evade the issue, instead of teaching them how to face & overcome it?

Oh yes, parents also send their kiddos to JG ... also becoz of their good Mandarin program.
In contrast, I must say I am not impressed with GUG in this area ... but of course, I only found out about this deficiency after we have done 1 term. However, I chose GUG (& intend to stay on with them) ... only becoz of 1 thing: ZooPhonics.
I will just say that I am happy so far ...

Have you started with Shichida?
My Seamus is gonna start his class in early Apr ... after having been on the waiting list since Oct 08.
Wow!!! Really thanks for your info and your sharing. You undestand what i said... I heard JG and GUG is abt the same just that one (JG) is for more rich ppl :tlaugh:.
I am still loooking around. My plan is finding one to let her go for the enrichment class then when she grows older hopefully can let her continuse the nursery then kindergarden in the same school, i think that is quite good idea. So thats why still looking around. You like zoo phonic. did you check it out the zoo phonic school whichis ver propular.

no... not yet cos my bb is only 6 mths intending to send her when she reach 1 yr old but haven enroll her yet. Is it too late?

Talking abt Shichida... Have you heard abt little Neruo tree. Is abt the same as shichida. Any fedback, also chossing between this 2. :tlaugh:

Thank you so much i appreciated it very much.