Anyone going to DIY your own confinement?

Rukia

Hi All,

Just wondering is any mummy is like me, planning to DIY confinement?

What will you be preparing and what have you prepared?

Rukia

-

so far... my mum-in-law had bought all the herbs needed for brewing my longan-and-red-dates confinement tea... 1 month supply

hubby already brought the herbs back to our house... and kept inside fridge for freshness

hubby will get recipe from his mum to brew the confinement tea for me... using a slow cooker
How long can we actually store the longan and red dates in the fridge. I bought mine some time ago (2months back)? I wonder if it is still edible...

Rukia

not sure... need to get my hubby call his mum to ask... if kept in fridge should be able to store quite well... maybe best consumed within months of purchase if storage is in fridge... mine also bought since around late JAN to early FEB 2012

we kept it inside the fridge drawer used mainly for storing veggies and fruits... the entire 1-month supply just nicely fit into that whole bottom drawer

my mum-in-law bought them all at HOCK HUA chinese medical hall... she has their membership or something i think... total cost is about $150

when is your EDD ?
My EDD is in Mid may. So now starting to store up the necessary items. I am thinking of buying and storing those tonic soup packs (e.g. Shi Quan Da Bu Tang) as well....

mosqeetoh

me too might end up DIY confinement. Mom is bedridden and I dun like the idea of troubling MIL. SIL volunteered to send food for a week but even then I want to be prepared in case she backs out last min!

I have an 11 yrs old son who will need to be fed! Hubby and him can eat out i guess but I'd like to have home-cooked food in the freezer for some days. So here are a few things I think I'll prepare 2-3 weeks before edd:

- longan/red dates *checked
- prepare small portions of a few dishes to freeze
- stock up on grocery (not for cooking but other stuff like milk, biscuits etc)
- call part-time maid to spring clean entire home, wash curtains (then i dun have to worry abt dust for the next 1-2 mths hahah)
- wash baby clothes, napkins, towels
- have the playpen fixed and other baby essentials all prepared so that everything is ready when i come back home with baby.

anything else i shld look into? :D

Ivy Miao

Tingkat food are expensive!! Abt 1600. Good enough to pay for confinement nanny. Isn't it?? Im doing diy confinement too. Everyday eat pig vinegar soup (since thats my all time fav) and longan tea. Steam fish pretty easy. Bath new born myself...

Rukia

me too might end up DIY confinement. Mom is bedridden and I dun like the idea of troubling MIL. SIL volunteered to send food for a week but even then I want to be prepared in case she backs out last min!

I have an 11 yrs old son who will need to be fed! Hubby and him can eat out i guess but I'd like to have home-cooked food in the freezer for some days. So here are a few things I think I'll prepare 2-3 weeks before edd:

- longan/red dates *checked
- prepare small portions of a few dishes to freeze
- stock up on grocery (not for cooking but other stuff like milk, biscuits etc)
- call part-time maid to spring clean entire home, wash curtains (then i dun have to worry abt dust for the next 1-2 mths hahah)
- wash baby clothes, napkins, towels
- have the playpen fixed and other baby essentials all prepared so that everything is ready when i come back home with baby.

anything else i shld look into? :D
My mum last min backed out, and it was already too late for me to find a confinement nanny. Therefore thinking of DIY.

I wonder if those pig trotter soup, fried liver with ginger etc from food court is good enough for confinement? Since I guess they should be similar to confinement tingkat?

I am also thinking of buying those packets of herbs for soup. So my hubby can just buy meat and put it into the slow cooker for me.

Lets summarize:

1) Longan and red dates - I saw some packs of dried instant longan red date tea at ntuc, can use this as substitute?
2) Groceries (E.g. biscuits, milk, bread, cereals)
3) Packs of herbs for soup
4) Herbal baths
5) Washing of baby clothes, napkins, towels
6) Set up the baby room (playpen/cot, shampoo, soap, diapers)

Anyone has anything else to add on?

mosqeetoh

Hi, dun think it wwill be good to eat re-heated food. Why dun u try tingkat confinement food?

like ivy mentioned, tingkat confinement food is kinda expensive! I'm not working so our budget is kinda tight.

reheated food wont be as good as fresh one but i guess i have to do with what i can afford and manage. Cooking healthy food and freezing them up is not that bad I'm sure.

Rukia

Tingkat food are expensive!! about 1600. Good enough to pay for confinement nanny. Isn't it?? Im doing diy confinement too. Everyday eat pig vinegar soup (since thats my all time fav) and longan tea. Steam fish pretty easy. Bath new born myself...
I heard pig vinegar can only eat two weeks after birth. Cant rem the reason though..

Rukia

I saw confinement tingkat only lunch at 400plus. Prolly get the lunch. Can slp more. Dinner diy...
Which confinement tingkat is that? Can share?

I was thinking of getting the normal tingkat then cook my own tonic soup. Is that enough?

Ivy Miao

Newbaby.com and confinementfood.com. I think they are the same operator. Cuz they have the same menu and same pricing.. :). I forget... With .com.sg or without.. U try huh...

Last edited:

Rukia

-

my initial choice was ConfinementFood.com

but i am wondering about getting normal tingkat delivery for 30 days may be cheaper... since i have my own confinement tea... but tingkat normally dun operate on weekends... only mondays to fridays

and i dun tend to eat much after the postnatal massage tummy wrap will constrict my body quite a bit... reducing my appetite just like it did for my 1st confinement years ago
I thought of getting normal tingkat as well but my hubby insists that i take the confinement tingkat to nourish my body. Its so ex... So will be trying the trials and see if i like the food...

Rukia

hee... my hubby also asked why i dont want do proper confinement with nourishing meals... just opt out those internal animal organs that i dislike to consume

yup... trial meals are good idea :we3wubclub:

one thing i dont like about NewBaby.com.sg is, I saw from their FAQs that we need to empty and wash the food containers for them... i honestly think the time spent in washing those containers can be used for better purposes instead

but for ConfinementFood.com... we dont need to do so... maybe, since it is not stated in their FAQ section
I thought they would use disposable containers? Didnt read their faq. I am going to try out rich food catering and newbaby catering. But only for wkday, wkend will cook meals by myself, since my hubby will be ard to help out as well. :)

xiaodaisy

my mom bought red dates n longan 2wks before i due and the rest is only wen i get home den they went out to buy fm market .. =)

min81

Hi ladies,

I'm currently 7 wks pregnant.. 1st timer.. Think it's kinda early for me to be on this thread.. But was thinking if things go smoothly, i would like to settle my own confinement too.. Can i check with u ladies, after normal delivery, hw long will it take for the mummy to be up and abt? :)

soapsoap

I DIY my own confinement with the confinement food tingkat, it really worth the money, the portion is really huge food is nice soup is good.

Apart from food, u gal need to think of who to help take care and bath bb especially first time mummy. And also washing of bb clothes, u will be very tire first week to wash the bb clothes.

Please stock up on milo, and snack

soapsoap

Actually $1600 for the tingkat is not expensive at all, cos if u get a confinement lady, the $1800 u pay is just her salary, it does not include the food money that she going to buy and cook for u, also not forgetting the and pap u have to give her, and u have to provide her a place to sleep in ur house

Tannie

Hi min81, if u r not on extreme tight budget, I would think it will be good to hire an experience confinement lady. Esp we first time mum might not know what to expect n hw to handle certain situation ...

Besides I believe the importance of proper confinement...

How long it takes to heal depends on individual ... some can walk nxt day, some need rest for more thn a wk to regain strength....

rosemummy

I am thinking of ordering confinement foood catering from natal essentials. My mum will help me look after bb but I don wan to tire her too!
Any reviews on natal essential or confinement food.com?