Anyone having kiddos studying in MaryMount Convent?

autumn82

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is any parents here who have kiddos studying @ Marymount Convent now? How's the school doing? How would u rate it? Care to share alittle? :001_302::001_302:

stonston

I have a student currently studying there. They just returned from London end of 2007 and she just started school in January this year (P4).

The school was quite stringent on the entry requirements. My student had to take entrance exam even though she just came back from overseas and has never seen an exam paper before.

I visited the school with them during their registration and again during her entry exam day. Generally the school office staff are very helpful, explaining all the details to us. The girls there seem very happy too.

Since the start of this year, the teachers have put in alot of effort to help my student catch up with lessons. I had lessons with her thrice a week during Oct/Nov/Dec 2007 to teach her all the P1 to P3 syllabus to prepare her for the entrance exam (P3 EOY exam paper). However, that was definitely not enough & the teachers made the effort to help her catch up (especially for P3 science experiments she missed).

Overall I'm impressed with the school.

autumn82

I have a student currently studying there. They just returned from London end of 2007 and she just started school in January this year (P4).

The school was quite stringent on the entry requirements. My student had to take entrance exam even though she just came back from overseas and has never seen an exam paper before.

I visited the school with them during their registration and again during her entry exam day. Generally the school office staff are very helpful, explaining all the details to us. The girls there seem very happy too.

Since the start of this year, the teachers have put in alot of effort to help my student catch up with lessons. I had lessons with her thrice a week during Oct/Nov/Dec 2007 to teach her all the P1 to P3 syllabus to prepare her for the entrance exam (P3 EOY exam paper). However, that was definitely not enough & the teachers made the effort to help her catch up (especially for P3 science experiments she missed).

Overall I'm impressed with the school.
Thanks alot stonston! :) I heard abt the entry test too coz one of my fren had to take tt. But does that apply to Singaporeans too? Or just those holding student pass?

I like that school too but downside no affliiated school. :tlaugh:

stonston

I think it applies to all cases that want to transfer in, be it foreigner or local. The teachers said it's more to assess which class/level they go to.

I like the school too. But I don't have a daughter yet. & distance wise it's quite far for me (but my boy will be going to a school that is further :p)

autumn82

I think it applies to all cases that want to transfer in, be it foreigner or local. The teachers said it's more to assess which class/level they go to.

I like the school too. But I dont't have a daughter yet. & distance wise it's quite far for me (but my boy will be going to a school that is further :p)
Ohh... Transfer case... I see.. Yeah, most likely.. I like the school too, but this school doesn't seem popular among parents.. Wondering if it is becoz of the results or what..

Sembawang to Marymount far too rite? :tlaugh: Now torn between Marymount or Endeavour. *shakes head*

stonston

Marymount is quite inaccessible unless you drive or intend to let your child take school bus. Plus there's no affliation so that's probably why it's not 'popular'.

But results wise they are producing good results :)

autumn82

Marymount is quite inaccessible unless you drive or intend to let your child take school bus. Plus there's no affliation so that's probably why it's not 'popular'.

But results wise they are producing good results :)
Thanks dear, U reassured my choice of school once again. :tlaugh:

LCT

Hi Stonston,

We are Spore PRs and have just returned to Spore after spending many years working in Msia. Marymount is asking my daughter to sit for an admission test this week.

My daughter is currently studying Primary 4 in Msia. I believe your student passed the test and was admitted. How tough were the test papers? Is your student coping well now? Must one pass the tests in order to get admitted? Was your student downgraded by any level? I heard some school will downgrade the student if the result of admission test is not good.

Appreciate for your feedbacks. Thanks.

stonston

Hi LCT,

My student was 9 yo at the time of the test, so she took the P3 test to be admitted into P4. The test paper is quite tough, Marymount is known for their higher than usual standards. She scored 80 for Maths & 78 for English. She was not downgraded at all. Her classmates are of the same age as her. Based on what I remember, there was 4 vacancies that year for admission into P4 but 6 students taking the admission test. They'll accept the top 4 scorers.

My student is currently coping well without tuition at all. I could not continue teaching her due to distance (I moved house to Punggol this year). Her mum SMSed me her CA2 results and I was very pleased with her results. She got 80+ for both English & Maths and 70+ for Science. She's exempted from Mother Tongue.

Did your child attend a govt school or private school in Msia? Honestly speaking, most likely will downgrade by 1-2 levels. Most Malaysian students I've met are downgraded by 1-2 levels, some even 3 levels due to poor English.

Reactions: LCT

LCT

Hi Stonston,

Thanks very much for your feedback. Your student must be a very smart girl.

If my daughter is not successful in getting a place, we may consider to bring her back to Spore in Sec 1. Do you know how tough the MOE's entrance test is? We are puzzled as to whether it is better to seek MOE's help on admission or to approach the schools directly.

Regards.
LCT

stonston

LCT, it's not about whether the student is smart or not. That student of mine is very hardworking & there's friendly competition for her as her Singaporean cousin is the same age as her and in the same school.

If you intend to bring your girl back later (at Sec 1), it'll be harder to catch up unless you personally coach on the SG syllabus back in Msia. And another thing to note is that she may be required to sit for another round of entrance tests by MOE. & based on that test, most of them end up in Normal Academic stream, not Express stream.

If you can't get her into Marymount, try another school. Higher chance to get into neighbourhood schools, just that you need to do close monitoring & maybe hire tutors to ensure she'll do well.

Reactions: LCT