Anyone heard of Suzuki Method

cmeilim

Hi mummies,

Anyone heard of or has used Suzuki Method to expose your babies/kids to early music training? Please share your feedback or review! Thanks!!!

cmeilim

it started with volin, and then was adapted for other musical instruments like piano, cello, etc.

i am wondering if anyone has heard/used this method. it's quite popular in some western countries, as well as in japan, where it was first invented.

Hi mummies,

Anyone heard of or has used Suzuki Method to expose your babies/kids to early music training? Please share your feedback or review! Thanks!!!

Hi Cmeilim,

Suzuki method is basically learning Music by Solfege, which is the method adapted by Yamaha Music School for their young children Music Appreciation classes and Electone Organ classes. They teach children to write, read and sing Music notes in Solfege, that is Do-Re-Mi etc. E.g.: "Mary Had A Little Lamb" will be sing as:

Mi Re Do Re Mi Mi Mi
Re Re Re Mi So So~
Mi Re Do Re Mi Mi Mi
Re Re Mi Re Do~

Whereas the ABRSM syllubus (traditional method) will teach students to write, read & sing Music notes as A-B-C etc. Taking the "Mary had a little lamb" as example again:

E D C D E E E
D D D E G G~
E D C D E E E
D D E D C~

Which do you think is easier and fun to sing - in Solfege or ABC?

Here's the pros and cons of the Suzuki:

Pros:
By singing Solfege, it is catchy and fun for children to sing than in A-B-C. Children need lots of fun in their learning to capture interest. Therefore, solfege singing is usually a short tune of 4 to 8 bars.

It also improves their memory too as when the teacher sings in Solfege bar by bar, children will have to repeat by memory bar by bar. Example:

Teacher : "Mi Re Do Re Mi Mi Mi"
Children: (repeat the same) "Mi Re Do Re Mi Mi Mi"
Teacher: "Re Re Re Mi So So"
Children: (repeat the same) "Re Re Re Mi So So"

Cons:
The ABSRM has better recognition almost all over the world. Singapore is likewise. Most of the music schools here teach in ABRSM syllubus.

Therefore, if a child learnt the Suzuki method first, when he/she starts to learn a musicial instrument using the ABRSM syllubus, he/she will needs some time to re-learn to read and write notes as A-B-C rather than as Do-Re-Mi. This may hinder further music learning interest.

Apart from that, ABSRM certificates are recognised in our local university to major Music as a course subject.

In a nutshell, it depend on parents if they want their children to just cultivate music interest as leisure or for long term music education.

Last edited:

cmeilim

hi daisy12moo,

thanks for the detailed explanation - just what i was looking for! hmm...my tod is too young for formal music training, so we are definitely not thinking abt ABRSM now. =) i just observe he likes music a lot and want to further his interest for fun and leisure for now. if he continues to be interested in music and shows keen-ness in learning how to play a musical instrument when he grows older, then we might let him try more formal instruction. but definitely not thinking of hot-housing or grilling him in music instruction from one year old! =)

thanks again for your insightful sharing.

hi daisy12moo,

thanks for the detailed explanation - just what i was looking for! hmm...my tod is too young for formal music training, so we are definitely not thinking about ABRSM now. =) i just observe he likes music a lot and want to further his interest for fun and leisure for now. if he continues to be interested in music and shows keen-ness in learning how to play a musical instrument when he grows older, then we might let him try more formal instruction. but definitely not thinking of hot-housing or grilling him in music instruction from one year old! =)

thanks again for your insightful sharing.

Hi Cmeilim,

Actually, dont't rush to sign up a Music Appreciation class for your toddler yet. He is still too young. He won't be able to understand the teacher's instruction. E.g. Is he able to tell white from black? Is he able to count now? Is he able to sit still while the teacher explains? I believe not.

The ideal age for children to start Music Appreciation is 4 yrs old onwards. Age before that, I feel is a waste of money.

I know cos' I used to be a Music Teacher for young children.

Perhaps you can play DVDs of Barney, Sesame Street etc at home for now and sing/dance at home with him. Get some percussion instruments to play along as you sing/ dance with him. Encourage him to sing the last word of each bar. Explore him with sounds from anything. Play Children songs in the car. Tuck him to bed with a song or two. This is what I do with my 1 year old now to gradually cultivate his Music interest.

cmeilim

My boy is just a week older than yours. We hv been letting him listen to all sorts of music since birth. He loves swaying n dancing to children's songs n nursery rhymes. He also has a range of baby size musical instruments to play with n likes the drum, xylophone n tambourine most. It's really hilarious seeing him swaying his body with a tambourine to the tune of JIngle BElls!

Hv fun with yr kiddo!

shuigao

Hi Cmeilim,

Actually, dont't rush to sign up a Music Appreciation class for your toddler yet. He is still too young. He won't be able to understand the teacher's instruction. E.g. Is he able to tell white from black? Is he able to count now? Is he able to sit still while the teacher explains? I believe not.

The ideal age for children to start Music Appreciation is 4 yrs old onwards. Age before that, I feel is a waste of money.

I know cos' I used to be a Music Teacher for young children.
Why do you underestimate your children? You are limiting their potential that way. And as a former music teacher? Maybe you are talking about different approaches or types of music appreciation for young children?

Music playgroups are fun and educational! My boy attended music playgroup from 1yo and he learnt dynamics from there, and note values, and rhythm. So he knows much of the common music terms like forte, pianissimo, allegro, adagio, crescendo, accelerando, cantabile, andante, etc, etc. And yes, he can demonstrate on the keyboard or percussions what they mean. And he can differentiate notes of different values and how rhythms differ as such. And of course he can tell black from white.

shuigao

Hi Cmeilim,

Suzuki method is basically learning Music by Solfege, which is the method adapted by Yamaha Music School for their young children Music

<snip>

Whereas the ABRSM syllubus (traditional method) will teach students to write, read & sing Music notes as A-B-C etc. Taking the "Mary had a little lamb" as example again:

This is not true. Suzuki method is basically the "mother-tongue" method. The child should be trained, if possible from birth, just listening to the beginner's repertoire, and then repertoire more advanced. By listening (like how their parents talk to them), it is believed they will learn. So by the time, they start to play on the instrument, they will learn it more easily.

And parental involvement is of utmost importance in suzuki method. Bc just like speaking their mother tongue, they learn from their parents.

The child will eventually know note-reading too. It really doesn't matter if they are learning using fixed or moving solfege or C,D,E,F,G,A,B

cmeilim

Why do you underestimate your children? You are limiting their potential that way. And as a former music teacher? Maybe you are talking about different approaches or types of music appreciation for young children?

Music playgroups are fun and educational! My boy attended music playgroup from 1yo and he learnt dynamics from there, and note values, and rhythm. So he knows much of the common music terms like forte, pianissimo, allegro, adagio, crescendo, accelerando, cantabile, andante, etc, etc. And yes, he can demonstrate on the keyboard or percussions what they mean. And he can differentiate notes of different values and how rhythms differ as such. And of course he can tell black from white.

hi shuigao mummy

where does your boy attend music playgroup at? how old is he now?

Hi

dont't get me wrong. I am not underestimating a child's calibre to learn. As a former Music teacher and parent, I would like encourage children to go for Music class. But, I feel 1 yr old is too young. Personally, I feel that their temperament is challenging? (This is my own opinion, you can think otherwise) E.g. I had student crying for milk (even though their parents had fed them before class) or something every now and then and the rest would follow suit. This affect the whole class learning.

Yes, they will also learn simple music terms but takes some time and patience for parents and teacher to teach them...especially so, if parents do not reinforce what the teacher taught in class. On the other hand, some students really have the calibre, they learnt very fast!

Actually, I am very keen to take my son for a trial at your child's school since they did such a fabulous job.:Dancing_tongue: It is also interesting for me too to learn how Music can be taught to young children though I quitted Music Teaching. Can you PM me the school info? :tlaugh:

(Hihi Cmeiling, maybe we can go together if the school is not too far off from our place? :)

cmeilim

Hi

dont't get me wrong. I am not underestimating a child's calibre to learn. As a former Music teacher and parent, I would like encourage children to go for Music class. But, I feel 1 yr old is too young. Personally, I feel that their temperament is challenging? (This is my own opinion, you can think otherwise) E.g. I had student crying for milk (even though their parents had fed them before class) or something every now and then and the rest would follow suit. This affect the whole class learning.

Yes, they will also learn simple music terms but takes some time and patience for parents and teacher to teach them...especially so, if parents do not reinforce what the teacher taught in class. On the other hand, some students really have the calibre, they learnt very fast!

Actually, I am very keen to take my son for a trial at your child's school since they did such a fabulous job.:Dancing_tongue: It is also interesting for me too to learn how Music can be taught to young children though I quitted Music Teaching. Can you PM me the school info? :tlaugh:

(Hihi Cmeiling, maybe we can go together if the school is not too far off from our place? :)

daisy12moo

yeah, i have heard good reviews of staccato before. it's at the old turf club in bt timah. but the course fees are quite high, i think.

shuigao

you mentioned that your son started the classes at 1 yr old. he's now 18 months?? so he has attended 8 months of classes there? wow, that's quite good progression if he understands the different beats and rhythms within 8 months for such a young child. can you share with us more how long each class is, how the class is conducted, and how much the course fee is? how many participants to how many teachers are there in each class typically? does staccato use the solfege method?

shuigao

daisy12moo

yeah, i have heard good reviews of staccato before. it's at the old turf club in bt timah. but the course fees are quite high, i think.

shuigao

you mentioned that your son started the classes at 1 yr old. he's now 18 months?? so he has attended 8 months of classes there? wow, that's quite good progression if he understands the different beats and rhythms within 8 months for such a young child. can you share with us more how long each class is, how the class is conducted, and how much the course fee is? how many participants to how many teachers are there in each class typically? does staccato use the solfege method?
@daisy12moo mummy: Don't need me to PM the info, right? You can just find the Staccato info online.

@cmeilim mummy: No, not exactly 1yo. Started at 18mths. But yes, we've been there 8months. My boy just turned 2. He's 22mths now. Back in June when he was not 2 yet, he already could tell the terms.

They make use of music & movement to illustrate the terms. The term on Saint-Saens' Carnival of Animals was very good for this in fact. They also use flashcards and some elementary keyboard. And for note values/rhythms, they use Kodaly method.

But yes, it's up to you in the end to reinforce the use of the terms and they will remember faster. I learnt alot about how to teach the little ones music.

cmeilim

@daisy12moo mummy: dont't need me to PM the info, right? You can just find the Staccato info online.

@cmeilim mummy: No, not exactly 1yo. Started at 18mths. But yes, we've been there 8months. My boy just turned 2. He's 22mths now. Back in June when he was not 2 yet, he already could tell the terms.

They make use of music & movement to illustrate the terms. The term on Saint-Saens' Carnival of Animals was very good for this in fact. They also use flashcards and some elementary keyboard. And for note values/rhythms, they use Kodaly method.

But yes, it's up to you in the end to reinforce the use of the terms and they will remember faster. I learnt alot about how to teach the little ones music.

my boy is currently attending children's gym classes now, which will end just after he turns 18 months. so our resources and time are a bit tied up now. maybe i can discuss with my hubby to get our boy enrolled in a trial class at staccato after his gym classes end, to see if he enjoys the music playgroup as much as he loves his gym classes now. i am keen to learn from the playgroup how to teach kids music too!

thanks for sharing, shuigao!!

shuigao

But, I feel 1 yr old is too young. Personally, I feel that their temperament is challenging? (This is my own opinion, you can think otherwise) E.g. I had student crying for milk (even though their parents had fed them before class) or something every now and then and the rest would follow suit. This affect the whole class learning.

Yes, they will also learn simple music terms but takes some time and patience for parents and teacher to teach them...especially so, if parents do not reinforce what the teacher taught in class. On the other hand, some students really have the calibre, they learnt very fast!:)
Just to add, my boy is not seemingly "attentive" as what you'd seem to expect? He'd run around the class, or just sit there and not do anything. But he's always happy when there's acitivity -running, balls to bounce(staccato!), roll(legato), hoops to jump and bounce, etc.

In fact, when they take out the cards, if he's seen many times, he'd run away to the other end of the room.

But when he's home, he knows. And altho' he runs away when they flash keyboards, he can identify some of the notes on the keyboard eg. middle C. They call it "doh".

So kids that are not attentive, may still be learning.

I don't know about those who cry for milk lah - maybe those really should not be in the class, or wrong timing for them, etc.

stonston

It's never too young to start anything.
I exposed my boy to music from the day he was born.
He has great sense of rhythm and can sing very well now.
He even takes interests in the different instruments we have at home without formal lessons or music appreciation classes.

He learns all the music terminology from watching Little Einsteins.
He can even recognise a piece and identify it by telling us the name of the piece and its composer.

It's all about exposure. And don't think that they don't know when they look like they are not paying attention.
My boy is classic example of a MONKEY during enrichment classes but he is the one who learnts the fastest in class. Even the teachers will tell me that they don't really want to use harsh discipline cos he really knows his work (when they test him). He'll only behave if I'm at the door, staring at him through the glass panel.

It's also the same for learning to talk and reading.
My boy was exposed to flashcards of pictures and words since 3mths old.
He's now 3.5yo and can read simple storybooks on his own without help.
He picked up phonics through phonics DVDs and learnt to blend the alphabets with our guidance.

Kids from newborn to 5yo are like sponges. Even if they seem to 'not know', they actually may know.
EXPOSURE is the key, without exposure, how will they ever know that something even exists?

shuigao

It's never too young to start anything.
I exposed my boy to music from the day he was born.
He has great sense of rhythm and can sing very well now.
He even takes interests in the different instruments we have at home without formal lessons or music appreciation classes.
Yes, my 2yo boy can sing the pieces on his own without prompting too - like Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Vivaldi Four Seasons. He's memorised all the pieces.

Wah, you have so many instruments at home - you are both musicians?

stonston

I learnt piano, cello & guzheng.
My sis has many violins.
My bro used to play the zhong yuan & we still have it.

But my boy shows most interest in drums!
He can find different items around the house, lay them out like a drum set & play with whatever music we're listening to.

My sis' violin teacher is only willing to take him for lessons next year when his fine motor skills are more refined. He mentioned that 5yo is a good age to start but he's willing to let my boy start earlier cos his motor skills are more advanced.
However, I worry about the safety of the violin cos he's so violet with his toys!!

shuigao

I learnt piano, cello & guzheng.
My sis has many violins.
My bro used to play the zhong yuan & we still have it.

But my boy shows most interest in drums!
He can find different items around the house, lay them out like a drum set & play with whatever music we're listening to.

My sis' violin teacher is only willing to take him for lessons next year when his fine motor skills are more refined. He mentioned that 5yo is a good age to start but he's willing to let my boy start earlier cos his motor skills are more advanced.
However, I worry about the safety of the violin cos he's so violet with his toys!!
You mean the "zhong ruan". ;-) Wow - I'd sure be afraid to let him play with the cello & guzheng!

My son loves the drums too! It's only natural. He doesn't bang the tiny violin that we have around at all, so I'm sure your boy wouldn't by the time he starts lessons. Yes, better to start lessons later than earlier when motor skills more developed.