Anyone taking vitamin C during pregnancy?

dwarfs8

Hi, i have been taking vitamin c 500mg with 425mg of bioflavonoid and now i am planning to conceive.

Anyone taken vit c during pregnancy and is it safe to do so?

pls advice. thanks lots

Dilys

Hi, i have been taking vitamin c 500mg with 425mg of bioflavonoid and now i am planning to conceive.

pls advice. thanks lots
Hi,

You are planning to conceive?? you should be taking folic acid ... taking vit c is just to boost up your immune system.

panpan

yep, agree with dilys..

Anyway, to answer your question, i took vit C when i was preggy when i felt that i was falling sick soon =X (in addition to taking fruits) Vit C is water soluble so any excess will be pass out by urine.. but as all things goes, moderation is the key. =)

Dilys

yep, agree with dilys..

Anyway, to answer your question, i took vit C when i was preggy when i felt that i was falling sick soon =X (in addition to taking fruits) Vit C is water soluble so any excess will be pass out by urine.. but as all things goes, moderation is the key. =)
Yeah!! Too much of vit c cause diarrhea .. Everything in moderation .. Best !

angel84

pls advice. thanks lots
Yes i take it during pregnancy when im about to have flu or having flu already. Im took those which dissolves in water one. But when im well, i dont take it.

dwarfs8

hihi, i'm also taking folic acid daily now while trying to conceive. I was taking vit c with bioflavonoid previously was because of my piles and anal fissures and i need vit c to heal my wounds and bioflavonoid to strengthen my blood vessels of my anus.

Actually i have already asked my gynae abt it via sms and he mentioned "should be safe"

but somehow, i just want to gather more views as i go.

Dilys

hihi, i'm also taking folic acid daily now while trying to conceive. I was taking vit c with bioflavonoid previously was because of my piles and anal fissures and i need vit c to heal my wounds and bioflavonoid to strengthen my blood vessels of my anus.

Actually i have already asked my gynae abt it via sms and he mentioned "should be safe"

but somehow, i just want to gather more views as i go.
Take more fresh fruits & water it helps !!

MamabbJ

I have been taking 1000 mg of Vit C before, during and after my pregnancy because of my frequent flu problems. Seems to work for me. Yes, Vit C (ascorbic acid) may cause tummy upset in large doses and if taken on an empty stomach. I have been taking the one from Kordel (acid free). But it is best to take natural source of Vit C from fruits and veggies whenever you can. I am not a veggie fan so I have to resort to popping pills. Vit C can act as both an antioxidant and pro-oxidant in physiological conditions. But up until today, there is very little medical and scientific evidence that supports long-term benefits of Vit C supplements. Anyway, our bodies cannot store Vit C for long (water soluble).

I also took multivitamins, fish oils, calcium and magnesium supplements during my pregnancy. I took magnesium, Mg (which comes with calcium and Vit D) because of my frequent leg cramps at night. Studies have shown that Mg helps in preventing pregnancy cramps (and not calcium). Many people think (including my lousy obsgyn) that it is calcium but it is Mg. My leg cramps were so bad that I can have them on both legs at the same time! Oooch! It didn't happen ever since I took the Mg supplement.

Do ask your obsgyn if unsure. Do your own reading too. Some obsgyn may not be up to date with the latest medical and scientific findings.

Dilys

I have been taking 1000 mg of Vit C before, during and after my pregnancy because of my frequent flu problems. Seems to work for me. Yes, Vit C (ascorbic acid) may cause tummy upset in large doses and if taken on an empty stomach. I have been taking the one from Kordel (acid free). But it is best to take natural source of Vit C from fruits and veggies whenever you can. I am not a veggie fan so I have to resort to popping pills. Vit C can act as both an antioxidant and pro-oxidant in physiological conditions. But up until today, there is very little medical and scientific evidence that supports long-term benefits of Vit C supplements. Anyway, our bodies cannot store Vit C for long (water soluble).

I also took multivitamins, fish oils, calcium and magnesium supplements during my pregnancy. I took magnesium, Mg (which comes with calcium and Vit D) because of my frequent leg cramps at night. Studies have shown that Mg helps in preventing pregnancy cramps (and not calcium). Many people think (including my lousy obsgyn) that it is calcium but it is Mg. My leg cramps were so bad that I can have them on both legs at the same time! Oooch! It didn't happen ever since I took the Mg supplement.

Do ask your obsgyn if unsure. Do your own reading too. Some obsgyn may not be up to date with the latest medical and scientific findings.
For me,during pregnancy, frequent light leg stretching can prevent leg cramps,drink more water not having water rention. (You can't really prevent leg cramps, as it runs in the familes & weight of ur uterus press on your blood vessel to prevent u from getting a good circulation.

Calcium is for mummies' bones, & baby's bones & teeth development. Fish oil is basically for the development of your baby's brain.

Dilys

pls advice. thanks lots
Hey dwarfs8,

If you are planning to conceive, it better for you to have a healthy daily habits. Eating properly & Rest well (* Don't sleep too late). Cut down on all tea & especially cold drinks.
Too much of vit c , sometimes it's too cooling for MTB. So better get use to eating fresh fruits.

dwarfs8

thanks for replying! I am shocked to hear that ur gynae doesn't know that magnesium helps in leg cramps? I've been taking magnesium oxide 400mg to help to soften my stools and spasms from my anal fissures and piles. So i have read quite a lot on this... Btw, how much and for how long (throughout pregnancy?) did you take magnesium (which form and mg)?

As for vit c, i have been taking the ones with bioflavonoids, known to strengthen the blood vessels, so it helps my piles too. Does yours contain bioflavonoids, rutin, rose hips or the like? If yes, how much mg in ur pills?

I read some articles on bioflavonoids, some recommend, some don't for pregnancy...

Last edited:

dwarfs8

Hey dwarfs8,

If you are planning to conceive, it better for you to have a healthy daily habits. Eating properly & Rest well (* Don't sleep too late). Cut down on all tea & especially cold drinks.
Too much of vit c , sometimes it's too cooling for MTB. So better get use to eating fresh fruits.
hi Dilys, yep, ever since my early missed miscarriage in Apr and landed myself into serious constipation which leads to anal fissures and piles, i have been eating like a health guru. hahaha... and i sleep at 1030pm / 11pm almost every night. I don't drink tea (except sometimes green tea at jap restaurant) cause of its caffeine and seldom cold drinks. I eat vegs and fruits like a vegetarian, but i eat mostly fish and chicken. All these dietary habits was done, tog with supplements, to speed up the healing with my anal fissures and piles. :)

Dilys

HI, u do need to consume other supplement during pregnancy. Actually u should continue eat vit c as well. Coz.vit.c nt only.need for immune system nt also need when hv a bb.
I do hv supply healthy supplement nutrition consumption for preganant woman.
Do contact me if u need. :)
Hi hi ,

Thanks for the recommendation. I m taking sufficient supplement from my gynae such as calcium, iron & fish oil. For vit c , I took lots of fruits everyday. I tried not to take any other supplement beside given by gynae as too much of supplement cause heatiness.

feathers

I also thought Vit C is water soluble and can be passed out in urine so it should be pretty harmless but recently I read a book on nutrition in pregnancy and it did state that excessive intake of vitamin C supplements can cause the newborn to have increased requirements for vitamin C, possibly leading to a deficiency syndrome called rebound scurvy. It is recommended that we take fruits and vegetables instead of supplements.

MamabbJ

thanks for replying! I am shocked to hear that ur gynae doesn't know that magnesium helps in leg cramps? I've been taking magnesium oxide 400mg to help to soften my stools and spasms from my anal fissures and piles. So i have read quite a lot on this... Btw, how much and for how long (throughout pregnancy?) did you take magnesium (which form and mg)?

As for vit c, i have been taking the ones with bioflavonoids, known to strengthen the blood vessels, so it helps my piles too. Does yours contain bioflavonoids, rutin, rose hips or the like? If yes, how much mg in ur pills?
I read some articles on bioflavonoids, some recommend, some don't for pregnancy...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, dwarfs8,

Answers to your questions:

1) I started Mg oxide/citrate/aspartate 250 mg during my 2nd trimester when my leg cramps became more frequent. The capsules also come with Vit D 200 IU and Ca carbonate/citrate/malate 500 mg. I am still taking them now. It is important to continue the Ca supplement if you are going to breastfeed. I also drink Annum (for lactating mothers) during pregnancy and breastfeeding period. I find Annum tastes the best cf. to other brands like Similac, S-26, etc.
2) The Vit C that I am taking (Kordel's, acid free) contains: C
a ascorbate/Vit C 1000 mg, Ca (from ascorbate) 90 mg, Citrus bioflavonoids 100 mg, Rutin 50 mg, Hesperidin 25 mg.

Oh, yes, I also took folic acid as soon as my pregnancy test was positive.

I had piles too during my 3rd trimester when baby became heavier and because of my growing multiple fibroids too. Never had piles before that! Then at 33-34 weeks gestation, I had terrible constipation problems! Never happened before in my life as I am more prone to diarrhoea than constipation. Because of it, I pushed too hard until I suffered painful pre-term contractions. I had to be warded for observation (threatened pre-term labour). The contractions were 10-15mins apart but I didn't have any dilation. So they gave me Adalat tablets to stop my contractions and a steroid jab to speed up my baby's lungs development in case he comes out prematured. Scary one for me -- I wasn't prepared to give birth at week 34! Didn't even pack my maternity bag yet at that time! Opps, sorry for digressing...
--> To ease my piles and constipation problems, I asked for a stool softener and they gave me Lactus Syrup (lactulose solution 66% w/v). It is a very mild laxative. Worked for me. I also drank prune juice -- a glass every day after that scary incident. Didn't like it very much but forced myself to drink it anyway...

Last edited:

dwarfs8

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, dwarfs8,

Answers to your questions:

1) I started Mg oxide/citrate/aspartate 250 mg during my 2nd trimester when my leg cramps became more frequent. The capsules also come with Vit D 200 IU and Ca carbonate/citrate/malate 500 mg. I am still taking them now. It is important to continue the Ca supplement if you are going to breastfeed. I also drink Annum (for lactating mothers) during pregnancy and breastfeeding period. I find Annum tastes the best cf. to other brands like Similac, S-26, etc.
2) The Vit C that I am taking (Kordel's, acid free) contains: C
a ascorbate/Vit C 1000 mg, Ca (from ascorbate) 90 mg, Citrus bioflavonoids 100 mg, Rutin 50 mg, Hesperidin 25 mg.

Oh, yes, I also took folic acid as soon as my pregnancy test was positive.

I had piles too during my 3rd trimester when baby became heavier and because of my growing multiple fibroids too. Never had piles before that! Then at 33-34 weeks gestation, I had terrible constipation problems! Never happened before in my life as I am more prone to diarrhoea than constipation. Because of it, I pushed too hard until I suffered painful pre-term contractions. I had to be warded for observation (threatened pre-term labour). The contractions were 10-15mins apart but I didn't have any dilation. So they gave me Adalat tablets to stop my contractions and a steroid jab to speed up my baby's lungs development in case he comes out prematured. Scary one for me -- I wasn't prepared to give birth at week 34! Didn't even pack my maternity bag yet at that time! Opps, sorry for digressing...
--> To ease my piles and constipation problems, I asked for a stool softener and they gave me Lactus Syrup (lactulose solution 66% w/v). It is a very mild laxative. Worked for me. I also drank prune juice -- a glass every day after that scary incident. Didn't like it very much but forced myself to drink it anyway...
hi Mamabbj, thanks for ur detailed reply! Good to know that at least there's no problem with me continuing on my supplements. I have constipation problems right after miscarriage, got myself an anal tear and internal piles which took 6 months to finally seemed healing. So now TTC, at least i know what are the methods to keep my constipation at bay during pregnancy... Lactulose give me very bad gas pains, so i'm currently taking prune juice and magnesium oxide which is much gentle on my stomach. I just hope my internal piles will not act up too much when i'm preggy and esp. during end trimester...

Dilys

hi Mamabbj, thanks for ur detailed reply! Good to know that at least there's no problem with me continuing on my supplements. I have constipation problems right after miscarriage, got myself an anal tear and internal piles which took 6 months to finally seemed healing. So now TTC, at least i know what are the methods to keep my constipation at bay during pregnancy... Lactulose give me very bad gas pains, so i'm currently taking prune juice and magnesium oxide which is much gentle on my stomach. I just hope my internal piles will not act up too much when i'm preggy and esp. during end trimester...
Hi dwarfs8,

You can try taking grapefruit ... it helps alot in constipation. I have been taking that during my pregnancy ... very rich in vit C. Very effective... I poo almost everyday.

dwarfs8

Hi dwarfs8,

You can try taking grapefruit ... it helps alot in constipation. I have been taking that during my pregnancy ... very rich in vit C. Very effective... I poo almost everyday.
thanks dilys for the suggestion! i know grapefruit also helps in preventing vaginal infections, not too sure myself, but that's what my fren told me. :)

Dilys

thanks dilys for the suggestion! i know grapefruit also helps in preventing vaginal infections, not too sure myself, but that's what my fren told me. :)
Welcome dwarfs8! Hmm.. I am not sure if it prevent vaginal infections. But it's really good! I got hard time 1st 2 wks.. pooing. But after that very smooth till now my 2nd trimester. Take 1 fruit 1st... if u can take it take 2 per serving for your more serious constipation.

But remember 1st few times take 1 fruit 1st. Let ur body adapt 1st. Too much one go .. may cause diarrhea.

dloreangel

pls advice. thanks lots
i do, i take natural vit c supplements, not those chemical man-made type