Anyone to advise how to increase breastmilk???

kimyen

Anyone to advise how to increase breastmilk???

I took Fenugreek from GreenLife - 1 bottle (Ok but not alot of milk though)
Took 2 capsules 3 times a day.

Then I bought from one of the mummies Fenugreek from GNC (200 capsules) from US - Almost finish the whole bottle but still no effect.
Took 2 capsules 3 times a day.

Staff told me to take 3 capsules 3 times a day.
Am trying though.

In fact, supply like decreasing.

My boy still latch on when I'm home after work.

HOW??????

ast0212

The most effective way to increase milk supply is to keep latching on your baby as often as possible.. However, since you are working this would be quite difficult. Otherwise it would be to express milk whenever you can because the more milk that is removed from the breast, the more milk you will make. It's all about demand and supply. Are you able to express at work?

Galactalogues like fenugreek do not work for every woman :( There are also others that you can take such as blessed thistle, brewers yeast, linseed meal, and oats, but again they don't work for everyone. Worth a try though :)

verarone

according to kellymom, in order to increase breastmilk, the concept is to empty your breast more often, either to latch the bb directly or to express out the milk. you can read more on the website.

JazN

Like the mummies mentioned the supplements may not be effective for everyone.

the best way is to latch baby once you're home from work . At work you need to pump/empty the breasts whenever is your child feeding time (time is base on how you feed your child before you started work).

You may wish to try the famous fish & papaya soup. Below link shared by one of the mummies.

http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f30/papaya-fish-soup-29635/

piggie

Hi,

How old is ur baby? I also experienced a drop in supply when my baby is 4months old, me too was taking Fenugreek 3 x 3 a day. I am exclusively pumping for her as my baby did not learn to latch correctly and was too lazy to work hard suckling.

I decided to try another supplement, it is actually a medicine to aide indigestion, stated on Kelly mom's webbie as the safest class of medication to increase breastmilk. Name is domperidone

The increase in supply was seen within 24hrs, but as with all medicine n supplements, it might not wrk for everyone, but for me it was very useful :)

ast0212

It's normal for supply to seemingly drop around the 3-4 month mark. This is because your breasts are making just enough to meet your baby's needs, which means your breasts are doing their job! :001_302:

Unfortunately many mothers mistake this as their supply dwindling but it's really quite the opposite, after early months of engorgement your breasts were trying to work out how much to make...around 3-4 months it adjusts accordingly to how much your baby is drinking hence they often feel softer and not engorged anymore.

piggie

Yes, i agree that at 3/4 mth mark, its normal for BM supply to drop a lil.. But for my case, e drop is really v drastic..

I was pumping abt 480ml each day, but when e dip in supply kicked in, I was barely pumping 30ml from both sides add together =.="

kimyen

My child is coming 5 mths old.

Now I pump 30-40ml a day from 2 different pump time.

I used to pump at minimum of 80-120ml.

Am surprised that this happened after taking fenugreek and milk for latacting mum.

Shd I continue to take both?
Or shd I stop bfing???

Yes, i agree that at 3/4 mth mark, its normal for BM supply to drop a lil.. But for my case, e drop is really v drastic..

I was pumping abt 480ml each day, but when e dip in supply kicked in, I was barely pumping 30ml from both sides add together =.="

SOPLONG

I took Domperidone as well & supply increased. However, was not advisable to take for long term cos it is still a form of medication. I gradually stopped after 3days when supply increased, however supply dropped once I stopped taking.

Jainah

the milk production is controlled by the program in the body. the first few weeks after delivery, the body would adjust production based on demand (ie how often baby latch or you pump). based on this, the body would work out the algorithm as to how much resources to allocate for milk production.

However, once your routine change, after some time, the body would recalculate the algorithm and come up with a new pgm. Esp, if you job is very demanding, the body may schedule more resources to other important tasks that your body need to attend to. hence, the milk supply would drop.

Jainah

yes, there were some success stories. like any other supplements, subject to other conditions, work for some dont work for others... best to be stress free, drink more liquid, maintain healthy diet, stick to the routine before you give up..:)

piggie

From what i read, domperidone increases the amt of prolactin in yr body, this prolactin is responsible for the milk production...

verarone

Hi,

How old is ur baby? I also experienced a drop in supply when my baby is 4months old, me too was taking Fenugreek 3 x 3 a day. I am exclusively pumping for her as my baby did not learn to latch correctly and was too lazy to work hard suckling.

I decided to try another supplement, it is actually a medicine to aide indigestion, stated on Kelly mom's webbie as the safest class of medication to increase breastmilk. Name is domperidone

The increase in supply was seen within 24hrs, but as with all medicine n supplements, it might not wrk for everyone, but for me it was very useful :)
whr to get it?

Jode

supplements did not really work for me. also noticed that i had a drop in milk supply. esp after i went back to work. not too sure if it is the stress or what.
now, i maintain my supply with oats, water, fish (i try to have fish in 1 meal everyday) and milk for lactating mums.
and of cos, i will latch my baby when i am at home with her.

verarone

ive bf my baby ger in the hospital after delivery but when i cm back hm, breast milk was not in yet, and she kps crying for milk so i gave her fm and only latch her for few feeds a day. the confinement nanny wil give her fm. at nite, she sleeps with the confinement nanny and she goes on fm the whole nite. im not a diligent mummy that pump milk regularly. i only pumped when i feel engored and wil have 30-40ml breast milk every 5-6hr interval.

now my baby ger is now 5 wks old, i latched her every time but she stil kps asking for milk. i can latched her every hour and she still doesnt hav enough milk and then i have no choice but to give her fm. she is drinking at least 90ml of fm every 4 hours. i tried to pump regularly every 2hrs, but my breast milk supply seems to reduce from 60ml to 30ml.

is it that my breast milk supply has reduce and wil not increase anymore? is it too late for me to increase my breast milk supply now? any mummy in my situation and has successfully increase breast milk supply?

Last edited:

piggie

Hi,

Breastmilk production is a demand n supply cycle. The more you pump, e more milk there will be. Positive mindset is also very important. Do not think negative tots.

My breastfeeding journey started in Sep 2011, when my DD was borned. She doesnt like to "work" hard for her milk suckling, so I am doing exclusive pumping and feed her through bottle. i can say that for e 1st 3months it was sheer determination that kept me pumping very 2 or 3hrs. Even if each pump i get only 20ml both sides, i still continued to pump.

Until nw, baby is 5 + months, i would still pump diligently every 3-4hrs in order to have enough BM to feed her throughout e day.

I am on both Fenugreek, 3 tablets x 3times a day(bought from GNC) and Domperidone, 3 tablets per day(bought from pharmacy).

So, must not give up :) try to pump more frequently! Use a electric double pump to encourage better let-down.

Jiayou!!

Last edited:

verarone

Hi,

Breastmilk production is a demand n supply cycle. The more you pump, e more milk there will be. Positive mindset is also very important. Do not think negative tots.

My breastfeeding journey started in Sep 2011, when my DD was borned. She doesnt like to "work" hard for her milk suckling, so I am doing exclusive pumping and feed her through bottle. i can say that for e 1st 3months it was sheer determination that kept me pumping very 2 or 3hrs. Even if each pump i get only 20ml both sides, i still continued to pump.

Until nw, baby is 5 + months, i would still pump diligently every 3-4hrs in order to have enough BM to feed her throughout e day.

I am on both Fenugreek, 3 tablets x 3times a day(bought from GNC) and Domperidone, 3 tablets per day(bought from pharmacy).

So, must not give up :) try to pump more frequently! Use a electric double pump to encourage better let-down.

Jiayou!!

Hi piggie,

How long have u been on fenugreek & Domperidone?

And I heard tat fenugreek wil cause Bb to hav colic and ur bm wil b thinner.

Natashasingh

The most effective way to increase milk supply is to - roast CUMIN seed (1/2 tea spoon) and take with milk 2 times daily after meal :wong3: