Anyone to advise how to increase breastmilk???

piggie

Hi piggie,

How long have you been on fenugreek & Domperidone?

And I heard that fenugreek wil cause baby to hav colic and your breast milk wil b thinner.
Verarone,

I have been on Fenugreek since the 1st week my DD was born in Sept 2011. Taking daily 3capsules thrice a day. My DD has no issues with colic at all, I am fully expressing out, using a dual pump, pumping every 4hrs day n night. So she is drinking through Avent bottles.

Fenugreek does cause a increase in Foremilk produced, which is why some might say that breastmilk produced is "thinner". Foremilk is used to quench the baby's thirst and lower in fat content. The Hindmilk which is produced remains unchanged and is higher in fat content. so with a higher production in Foremilk is not a bad thing in my opinion. Cause it would cause the total volume of breastmilk to slightly increase, quenching the baby's thirst and therefore eliminating the need for us to feed water to baby.

Domperidone was only started this Jan 2012..

HTHs :001_302:

verarone

Verarone,

I have been on Fenugreek since the 1st week my DD was born in Sept 2011. Taking daily 3capsules thrice a day. My DD has no issues with colic at all, I am fully expressing out, using a dual pump, pumping every 4hrs day n night. So she is drinking through Avent bottles.

Fenugreek does cause a increase in Foremilk produced, which is why some might say that breastmilk produced is "thinner". Foremilk is used to quench the baby's thirst and lower in fat content. The Hindmilk which is produced remains unchanged and is higher in fat content. so with a higher production in Foremilk is not a bad thing in my opinion. Cause it would cause the total volume of breastmilk to slightly increase, quenching the baby's thirst and therefore eliminating the need for us to feed water to baby.

Domperidone was only started this Jan 2012..

HTHs :001_302:
So now how much of bm u pump each time?

piggie

Verarone,

My DD is nw near 5mths. She is on EBM for every feed, 180ml each time, 3 -4 times a day. Only at night 2am, i feed her FM.

I am pumping total abt 800-850ml each day, each pump abt 200-250ml from both sides. Pump every 4hrs, day or night.

So i still have exess of abt 80ml or so to store in fridge for backup daily :)

So, muz jiayou! Dun give up...

lyra

Unfortunately this dip in supply is still not happening to me. I still have over supply and milk sprays out every time baby gets distracted and pulls off my nipple. But good thing is my baby has gotten used to the fast flow and isn't crying and fussing as much as before. My friend had over supply problem too and now at 4 mth, she won't feel engorged even if she never pump for 8 hrs. For me, in 4 hrs, breasts will be engorged and leaking a lot.

I think the best way to get and maintain good supply of milk is to latch baby on diligently during the early months and during every growth spurts at 3 weeks, 3 months, 6 months etc. and then pump diligently when we go back to work. Demand and supply rule is the most effective.

It's normal for supply to seemingly drop around the 3-4 month mark. This is because your breasts are making just enough to meet your baby's needs, which means your breasts are doing their job! :001_302:

Unfortunately many mothers mistake this as their supply dwindling but it's really quite the opposite, after early months of engorgement your breasts were trying to work out how much to make...around 3-4 months it adjusts accordingly to how much your baby is drinking hence they often feel softer and not engorged anymore.

Novels

I am giving my son EBM since he was 2 mth old, although I prefer to direct latch on my son but I have no choice. My son's jaundice level still kept increasing after he has discharged from hospital for his photo therapy. On top of that, his weight only increased 200g when he was 1 mth old. Thus Dr suspected he was dehydrated so Dr requested me to pump out to ensure my son was given sufficient milk. True enough, my son's jaundice level dropped till 0 and he gained 300g within 3 days.

However, my son refused to latch on since then even how hard and many times I tried to latch him on till now. My BM supply from insufficient which required supplement of FM until exclusive BM now which he is 4 mth old, although my supply is just enough for his feeds.

I am very hard working to increase my milk flow, I pump every 2 hr for 45 mins to an hr and set alarm to wake up in the night to pump even though my son sleep thru since 2nd mth. On top of that, if my supply drop, I will take supplement of Fenugreek 6 cap per day (I didnt buy the fenugreek cap from GNC, I made it myself instead. I bought organic fenugreek powder and put in capsules). I also take domperidone 1 - 3 times per day (initially Dr prescribed me to take 3 times a day, then I take 1-2 times per day after my supply came in. Now I only take once or twice if my supply drop). I take oatmeal for breakfast most of the times, occasionally when drink mother milk tea.

Now I am hoping to be able to breast feed my son till one year old, if not at least must over 6 mth old so praying hard my supply will not drop!

Sad to say, I am officially keeping away my breast pump for gd. My supply dropped to zero. Tried to pump out few days ago but nothing came out. However when I tried squeezing my breasts, could still see some milk coming out fm the nipple. So sad n disappointed. My boy has not even turned 3 mths. He will b 3 mths in 2 days time. I had wanted to bf him for at least 6 mths but....sigh.....

My period returned when my boy turned 2 mths. There after my supply started to drop. Fm the very beginning my supply wasn't that much to speak with. I could pumped out between 150 - 170ml each time every 3 - 4 hourly. Then it became 120ml, aft that it dropped to 100ml, 80ml, 50ml n towards the end I could only managed 30ml fm both breasts! He's on full formula feeds now.

I feel sorry for him cos I believe mother's milk is still the best but I'm not able to provide him.