Anyone tried water birth?

no..i think it is more popular overseas. read somewhere that water birth helps the mother but when baby ready to come out, and if you wish to remain in water, there may be some risk, so woman still normally comes out when ready to give birth.

M&M

i read it in the latest issue of magazine that says waterbirth is only available at SGH or NUH can't remember and Mount A. It will help ease the pain. they mention another type of birth called self-hypnosis. that one need go for classes. waterbirth and self-hypnosis birth are for mommies who wan to be drug free. wa! if as u say got some risk... i better not try le...

serenelm

my galfren who delivered at TMC tried the water pool during contractions, said it helped to a certain extent wif the pains... but when delivering, gynae still ask her to deliver out of the pool for safety reasons...

Hi,
It is quite common in some communities. I have seen a video on an actual birth in a huge transparent tub. You can see some pics on the web too. Let me know if you want more info. Bye

M&M

i've read online about water birth. there are actually pros and cons.
pros: less pain. drug free. stress free for the bb as they come out to a environment similar to where they have been growing up. bouncy helps mom to choose the desirable position of labour.warm water helps to relax the mommy's body.
cons: might have contamination becos when trying to push we might push out our stools also... if we find the pain still unbearable and wan epidural, we have to get out of water to do so. the midwife will have to kept on scooping out the blood clots and stools out of the water...

anyway... this is my first bb. i think i should do natural land birth.
:p

af-gal

i read it in the latest issue of magazine that says waterbirth is only available at SGH or NUH can't remember and Mount A. It will help ease the pain. they mention another type of birth called self-hypnosis. that one need go for classes. waterbirth and self-hypnosis birth are for mommies who wan to be drug free. wa! if as u say got some risk... i better not try le...

TMC also have

meiteoh

It was an option I considered when I was in Switzerland but the downside is that you cannot go for an epidural.

mrsmorgan

i see.. hmm.. maybe i shld just use e jacuzzi to relieve e pain but nt really sure if it's a gd "painkiller"! :tlaugh:

joeyz

for my understanding, only NUH hv water birth. Mt. A no longer practise water birth. I guess it is not popular.

When i was pregnant last year, I met up 1 mummy who wana intro me to home water birth, i told her how much will it cost bcos i dun hv enough cash upfront, she said if they can come up with a price that can suits me, will i be interested. I said ya i wud consider. She gave me a website to go find out more info, i did when i got back, after reading through the website and testimonial frm mummies, i come out with a few conclusions:-

1. Most mummies does home birth (water birth) for 2nd one.
2. Most mummies does home birth are ANG MOHs (so they dun enjoy any medisave benefits and 1.6K will consider cheap for them)
3. There will be a midwife and doula to assist you with your birth.. massage you and teach you how to breathe and meditate.. buuuut in case if it is still to no avil for you (if u r still feeling freaking pain and couldnt take it).. u need to be send to hospital for natural birth.. means 2 X Cost $$$
4. After the midwife and doula deliver your baby, you are on your own to look after the baby. Meaning no 3D2N resort style stay where someone will nurse your baby and attend to your well being. And wat if baby got jaundice? Need to bring to hospital? so mafan...
5. Midwife & Doula will come to your house to deilver you. Beforehand they will lend you a swiming tub. Family members except hubby are best to not stay at home. Olden ppl (like my dad) might not be able to accept it.
6. After giving birth, friends and relatives wanting to visit need to go to your house instead of hospital. quite unusual.

Overall, i find it is not popular bcos too many cons thn pros.. buuut in western countries where their hospital are hours away and home birth is the best choice to opt for. That's my 2 cents thoughts.

Last edited:

joeyz

another video YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
this show how the baby spin it out by it own.
very lovely.

by the way.. joeyz.. so whats the price and everything for water birth in singapore?
i think it start from 1.6K+ onwards, i forgot the website as i didnt save it down. Oh tat 1.6K+ is for home birth (using water tub too) not in Hospital and cannot pay thur medisave.

zaclin29

reviving the thread.........

anyone have done waterbirth or considering to do waterbirth?
Can share some info?
I wanna do it at NUH......

ast0212

I planned to do a water birth with my daughter 2 weeks ago, midwife filled the birth pool for me but we had to wait for it to cool down before I could get in otherwise it's too hot. Baby couldn't wait anymore and she came out before water cooled down. It was a 3 hour labour so everything happened very quickly! I'll try it for our next baby, but then again if labour gets shorter with every baby I don't know if there will be time!

Go for it! Apparently babies from water births come out very calm. It's also a natural way to manage pain - nature's epidural :)

If your hospital allows, consider delayed cord clamping as well.

zaclin29

I planned to do a water birth with my daughter 2 weeks ago, midwife filled the birth pool for me but we had to wait for it to cool down before I could get in otherwise it's too hot. Baby couldn't wait anymore and she came out before water cooled down. It was a 3 hour labour so everything happened very quickly! I'll try it for our next baby, but then again if labour gets shorter with every baby I don't know if there will be time!

Go for it! Apparently babies from water births come out very calm. It's also a natural way to manage pain - nature's epidural :)

If your hospital allows, consider delayed cord clamping as well.

hi

presume u are not from spore... how many cm dilated were u when the midwife prepared the tub?

ast0212

um... no idea how dilated I was by then.. I was 4cm when I got to the Birth Centre but since this is my 2nd baby I could have been dilating all week. Baby popped out 2 hours after arriving there.