At what age did your child start walking?

Jan25

My son is now 14mths old and he still doesn't walk on his own. He will stretch out his hand for us to hold and point to the direction he wants to go. When we try to let go halfway he will sit down and refuse to move til we hold his hand again. I have seen so many toddlers walking by the age of one. Is this normal?

Triquetra

Every kid develops at different rate so don't worry.

My niece - 13/14 months
My nephew - 18 months
My daughter - 11 months

apollo

ds started walking independantly at 14mth old while my 2 nephews at 18mths. i think it depends on individual kids. =)

STmummy

mt son starts walking with us holding his hand on his 1 yr birthday, and very soon starts to walk by himself.

Most boys tends to be slower in walking. My hubby's nephew walks around 19 - 20 mth old, not very stable.

Need to constantly encourage your son to try and dont stress him if he doesnt want. If he is using those traditional walker (those that you place the toddler in it for them to 'walk' around by themselves), it's time to remove him from that. It deters him to want to try. Happens to my hubby's nephew. I only let my son try those walker that he has to push and take a few step by himself, but with our support at the back if not he will slip and fall which may deter him from trying again.

Dont stress yourself or your son. Have fun watching him learn.. He will start running very soon!

fioncess

Andrea starting walking ard holding on to furniture at 1yo. at 14mth she can walk w/o support liao... but all kids are diff...

Ivy Miao

Your kid sounded like my son. At 14months now too, still cant walk unsupported. He just point where he want to go. Otherwise, we put him on the ground supporting him when walking and he has his own direction to walk. His Paed said he will be slower. Part of the reason is because he doesnt crawl. Ur kid crawl?

shopaholic

Eldest : 13 mths
Second : 11 mths
Youngest : 10 mths

The above were when they took a few independent steps. To walk really well by themselves, it will take another 1 mth or so.

By the way, 14 mths sounds ok to me if your child hasnt walk yet. I hv seen cases of 16mth old not walking too. Dont worry too much, your baby will surprise you with his first steps when he's ready.

Jan25

My boy just started to take a few independent steps last week,and it happened when daddy held out the ball a few steps away from him and he was so excited to get the ball that he forgot that he's on his own. This week he's starting to take more steps as and when he likes. Finally after the anxious wait!

Melancholy

My son has become more and more timid now.. Dunno is it he got scared by falling down when he's walking on his own?

redjn

it all depend on individual kid. like my boy started walking on his own hold the wall or sofa along his way when abt 10 mths o. By 1 yr o, he is already walking firmly by himself.

zenmoonflower

My son was a late crawler, but he started walking independently at 14 months (that's how old he is now). He's an adventurous tot but I haven't tried him walking independently much outdoors, because I need to watch over the stroller too.

fattymumu

my elder boy started walking few days after his first birthday.

different kids develop differently. I have a friend whose son starts walking ard 9 months. :err: shocked me !

I heard from some elders that it is not really good to start walking too young cos the muscles are not yet developed... dont worry