Avent comfort double electric breast pump vs medela Freestyle handsfree breast pump

Qookie

Personally i don't have those 2 specific models you mentioned. But i do own a Philips Avent handheld pump and a Medela PISA. After using Medela, i'm a huge fan. It's pure comfort. Using it is almost like getting a massage. But the Avent was excellent in removing hard lumps in especially in the beginning.

Brand-wise, i'll go with a Medela. You can try googling reviews. Good luck! ;)

marmalade

Thanks for the info. The thing about breast pump is no trying before buying ...lol. Demo is probably the best to do ...

Qookie

Medela lets you try if you get your own accessories. But the accessories themselves cost quite a bit too.

Doe T

Hi there, I have both. Here's my personal take: the medela freestyle is great for being really hands free when used with a pumping bra. But I find its extraction ability inferior compared to the Avent double electric. The pumping power of the Avent seems better to me. The problem is the pump motor is cumbersome. I am pretty much stuck in one place when using the Avent. But it sure draws out milk faster and sometimes more than the medela can. Again I have to stress that this is my personal experience. I hv friends who swear by the freestyle.

Oh another thing I noticed is the bottles. Avent bottles are generally wide necked. Makes it easier to reach in with a sponge and clean. Breast milk is quite oily and scrubbing with a bottle brush sometimes isn't effective enough.

Qookie

I totally agree, Doe T!

Medela bottles are sooo hard to clean! Avent bottles have a wide opening, so they have a double usage for me- i use them for milk and food! ;)

marmalade

Re: Avent comfort double electric breast pump vs medela Freestyle handsfree breast pu

Thanks ladies ! it was very informative. let me check out both and see how.
actually, i have the old avent electric breast pump (the one with the motor attached on top of the bottle) when i had my gal in 2011, but becos that is taking quite long since is only 1 side and is not hands free so very troublesome when i bring it to work. i rem i locked myself in the meeting room to work on the laptop and pump at the same time. imagine one hand holding and the other hand typing. =\

skt

Re: Avent comfort double electric breast pump vs medela Freestyle handsfree breast pu

Say I manage to get an electric breast pump in 2nd-hand, anyone knows which are the accessories I should buy brand new?

nuetook

Phipils is hygine pump meaning milk will not go back to tube and motor so pump is not contaminated ..medela there is possibility that milk go back to tube n motor and get mold..and will nees to clean tube ...and it is not mean to share coz motor can be contaminated.
For single use both are great pump.

marmalade

Say I manage to get an electric breast pump in 2nd-hand, anyone knows which are the accessories I should buy brand new?
i would think is the tubing and bottles. any adv from other mummies?

Sarah34343

My favorite breast pump - https://aliexpress.com My friend recommended this pump to me. I get more milk from this pump than my insurance covered pump. I switched initially because my pump had way too many parts to clean & I ended up loosing a piece on n the cleaning process. This one be is soooooo much easier to keep clean. Love that. It’s portable! The base fits into my fanny pack or side pocket of workout pants. I would recommend this pump if your looking for an affordable portable pump option.

Last edited: