babies with GERD (reflux)

uddermummy

any tips to deal with this?

my poor girl keeps spitting up and crying in the middle of the night.

sometimes she will be in a good mood and then suddenly shriek in pain.

I see her also heart pain. boo hoo... :(

CanCanMum

keep your girl constantly in an upright position

and feed in smaller but frequent quantities

limit the night feeds to 1 or 2 and smaller quantities....

and last but not least, monitor her weight and growth...any worries refer to PD.

CanCanMum

Gastroesophageal reflux disease = (GERD)

usually they will outgrow it with age....

my sonnie last time oso has this but is mild....

usually after 4-6 months they will be doing fine le~~~

uddermummy

pd diagnosed it as gerd.

but they like not v familiar with it. bb's gerd seems to be getting worse.

no one understands the stress of caring for her and husband finds her crying (and mine) irritating and is angry that i'm not doing more housework.

family members keep telling me that i should cope better.

sometimes i just cannot tahan and cry....

AugBoyz

my DS have this. PD told us that babies born via c-sect has a higher chance of getting this.

Yupe when we feed him milk he will drink 1/2 n return all back on us n himself. What we did is we burp him every 20ml of milk, after he finishes his milk we put him on the netted bouncer which is elevated so it helps the milk to sort of settle in.

For a first time mum, it takes time to adjust to motherhood, to juggle housework or/and work and baby. Take it a time slowly, dun stress urself too much. U shld do a search on the web to find out more abt GERD then show it to ur family members.

Take care n be strong!

CanCanMum

pd diagnosed it as gerd.

no one understands the stress of caring for her and husband finds her crying (and mine) irritating and is angry that i'm not doing more housework.

oh we understand!!!:001_302:

but most pple relate it to the typical reflux problem so they tot its so easy....

how old is your DD?

Domique

All new mums go through this. I breakdown and cry too. Cry cannot have sound some more as bb sleeping... like so poor thing... but I feel much better after i cry and admit that I cannot cope to my hubby.

pd diagnosed it as gerd.

mummy boi

dun worry so much
my ds also vomit after every feed and just cry all d way
went to kk, went for the scope scan(where they insert d tube into his throat all d way down to his intestine to c whether block anot or too narrow)
so heartpain u know cos he cant eat b4 dat(gotta give drip) and also d disconfort n pain.
then results show his pathway too narrow, gotta operate to widen it if not will affect further his appetiate.
we did not op for d operation, just natural take its course.
just dun lie him down to feed, after feed make bb sit on yr lap, yr hand on d chin there n stroke his back up to make him burp(dis way is better than lieing over d shoulder, faster to burp
now at 29 months, can eat can drink.....
if u want, can try different FM if u feeding FM
can give gripe water also
hope all will be fine for u

stonston

GERD is quite common. No worries.

You can try to feed small amounts, then give your kiddo a break and burp first, then continue with another small amount, n repeat the cycle.

this might mean more feeding (frequet feedings, smaller amounts), but at the end of they day, our objective is to ensure baby has enough nutrients to grow and develop.

I'm not sure what's your 'jobscope' at home but it'll be helpful if u list down the 'must do' and the 'good if done'. then once baby is napping, quickly do the 'must do' and take a rest. if there's extra time, then do the 'good if done' :)

dun worry. everyone needs some time to adjust n learn n cope. no one is a overnight miracle mummy :)

if u need some assurance or need someone to tok to, jus holler over here in forum :)

uddermummy

thanks mummies!

bb is about 2 months old. the prob is that she must be carried upright all the time. put her in sling also quite hard to do stuff cos can't really bend over.

put her on her back she will be in great pain and sometimes cry until face turns blue. and then she will puke... :(

aiyah, i print from web my husband also don't want to read.

now dd giving me sore nipples again. she keeps using her tongue to lick my right nipple no matter how i position her when lying down. didn't use to have this prob.

realised that she's licking that duct that's a geyser-- the one that shoots milk v far. i think she's irritated by it. what to do huh?

augboz, did your pd say why c-section higher chance of reflux huh? my dd was delivered by c-section...

Last edited:

SharonTan

My DD used to have reflux too... She was in UK and born by c-section too. She was given Gaviscon for many months to thicken the FM so that it would stay down and not be puked out. Dun worry it is very common and soon will pass in a few months time. She was still taking it when she was 10mths old, but cos we left uk to come back to SG, we stopped giving her, and she turned out oki. Haven been having these problems ever since.. and now she is almost 30mths old le :)

If u have the bouncer as suggested by AugBoyz, use it. If not, an infant car seat will do too. My doc suggested putting thick books to elevate the cot so bb can lie in a upright manner.

I heard from my midwife, cos babies born of natural birth, they got squeezed out of the birth canal and all the liquid in the lungs are all squeezed out too. But in a case of a c-section, baby is carried out, and so some liquid tend to stay in the lungs and am unable to be removed. I suppose this liquid causes reflux?

uddermummy

thanks mummies!

I tried putting dd on bouncer but she hates it. :(

so bo pian, carry her almost 24/7 in a sling. sometimes feel like slapping pple who say that bb is spoilt, that i just have to learn to be more competent etc... they so smart, they come and help take care lah.

all these pple are NATO kings and queens, no action talk only...

will try to see another pd recommended by one of the mummies here. hopefully, dd will outgrow it soon.

apollo

thanks mummies!

so bo pian, carry her almost 24/7 in a sling. sometimes feel like slapping pple who say that bb is spoilt, that i just have to learn to be more competent etc... they so smart, they come and help take care lah.

will try to see another pd recommended by one of the mummies here. hopefully, dd will outgrow it soon.
didn't they noe that PD asked u to carry BB upright aft feeding to let BB feel better???

did u read the web i gave u? it says u can try giving bb pacifier also...

Dun care abt wat ppl comment abt u... listen to PD and those mummies who also experienced the same situation with u b4...

JIAYOU!!!:Dancing_wub:

uddermummy

thanks regina. actually tried most mthds b4, and still trying.

tried pacifier but bb always have v bad latching after using pacifier, so only limit use when going out.

managed to make an appt with GI pd. hope it'll work.

snowbear

thanks mummies!

That time i tot my dd got GERD also coz she kept spitting up so i read up about it. It will pass with time so you must be strong and feed in smaller quantities as Stonston suggested. Dun worry too much about the housework and if you need encouragement, just come to the forum and vent your frustrations.. :) And ignore those people who love to pass unhelpful comments. This world is full of such people!!!!

uddermummy

That time i tot my dd got GERD also coz she kept spitting up so i read up about it. It will pass with time so you must be strong and feed in smaller quantities as Stonston suggested. Dun worry too much about the housework and if you need encouragement, just come to the forum and vent your frustrations.. :) And ignore those people who love to pass unhelpful comments. This world is full of such people!!!!

thanks! I always feel better after coming here, even if not to vent! Was at the special needs forum and was so uplifted by angelmum and epicurean's experiences.

am going to order another bb carrier, sleepy wrap cos bb not comfortable in the ones i have.

anyone tried sleepy wrap?