Baby blood group

cluelessmummy

Just wondering...

When does your newborn get tested for his blood group i.e. A, B, O? Immediately after birth or do you have to bring specially to a doc to get him tested?

cluelessmummy

Just curious. Coz all the stuff I read about the checks they do after birth doesn't seem to say anything about blood tests. Like they do a lot of measurements and test baby response, those kind of thing. Thought it's impt to know what blood type ur baby has, in case of emergencies, just like we know our own blood types... a bit funny if we don't know. And somehow, I sorta remember that the first time I ever knew about my blood group was in Pri 6 when the MOH pple came to my primary school and they did mass testing...for IC, if I'm not mistaken.

Oh..and I also remember reading not too long ago. An forum article in ST.. about this woman saying that KK told her that they do not test for baby's blood group, and asked her to wait till the baby's older coz they need to collect a lot of blood for such a test, which the woman thought was ridiculous.

baby gurl

kkh dun test fer baby blood's group.so till now i aso dunno my gurl's blood group.e nurse ask me to go poly fer testin.

cluelessmummy

kkh dun test fer baby blood's group.so till now i aso dunno my gurl's blood group.e nurse ask me to go poly fer testin.
Strange huh? So different hospitals have different policy..but I think so far, KK is prob the only one that doesn't test immediately for blood type.

Agnes Josephine

Weron, not true lei... I gave birth in Mar 07 & when my little prince was dishcharged (due to his Jaundice) from KKH, I did asked the nurse there & they told me the blood gorup of my son... They even attached a letter to his health booklet...

aki

Strange huh? So different hospitals have different policy..but I think so far, KK is prob the only one that doesn't test immediately for blood type.

i was told all gov hospital dun do blood test for baby unless the baby have jaundice..

CynCyn

Speaking of blood groups I don't even know what's my son's blood type either . But it definitely will be either Me and my hubby's blood type right ?

Mrs Xie

dd never do any blood group test either... but both dh and me belong to blood group O and therefore she must be O lor....

Last edited:

liangmum

hi
my ds also nver have his blood group test...born last yr july..he also have jaundice but the doctor nver mention any blood group. I check with polyclinic, they say have to request frm the doctor to do the test otherwise they wouldn't do it as compulsory.