Baby Carrier - Which is better?

mummySH

Hi,

I have 2 options of baby carrier in my mind,

1) Baby Bjorn
Good back support; price is 299 with 20% off. However, only 2 ways of carry.

2) Combi
Back support not as good; price is 168 with no discount. Got 4 ways of carry; can even carry new born.

Appreciate if anyone can share with their experience with these 2 carriers.

Thanks,

babybull

For a newborn, ring sling is the best. I have the combi carrier and never used it. Instead I loved the sling that a friend passed to me so much I bought another 3 in different colours! My hubby uses the ring sling too...

When baby gets older and heavier, around 6 months or so, we switched to using the stroller... but still bring the sling on trips, planes, etc.

Anyway, if you do some research online, you'll find that the babybjorn type of carrier is not good for babies' growth and development as their full body weight is hanging off from the crotch. Its better to get those carriers that distribute the baby's weight across the entire bum and thighs..

mummySH

For a newborn, ring sling is the best. I have the combi carrier and never used it. Instead I loved the sling that a friend passed to me so much I bought another 3 in different colours! My hubby uses the ring sling too...

When baby gets older and heavier, around 6 months or so, we switched to using the stroller... but still bring the sling on trips, planes, etc.

Anyway, if you do some research online, you'll find that the babybjorn type of carrier is not good for babies' growth and development as their full body weight is hanging off from the crotch. Its better to get those carriers that distribute the baby's weight across the entire bum and thighs..
Thanks for your input, just that my hubby doesn't like the sling.

babybull

In that case you should look into getting an Ergo baby carrier. Much better than the babybjorn, more comfy for baby and the adult. I have seen it at Mothers Work, and probably a few other baby specialty shops will sell it.

I bought a 2nd hand one and my hubby loves it - the shoulder straps and hip belt is very supportive. Personally I find it a little too wide at the shoulders because my frame is very petite - usually wear a local XS so the shoulder straps don't fit me too well. But on my hubby who is 1.83m and quite hefty, it looks great.

One con is that it may be too hot for Singapore's weather unless you buy the performance range.

Mummy to Baby V

For newborn, I used a ring sling. Baby's still light, so don't need hubby to carry. I cam even sling baby and use toilet.

Then when baby's heavier, I used Beco Butterfly II. Similar to Ergo, lets baby sit in it, not dangle by crotch. The shoulder straps suit my petite frame better than Ergo. Hubby loves it too.

I've the Combi 4-way carrier but didn't use it too -- baby dangles, not ergonomic.

You should visit babyslingsandcarriers.com, shop in Square 2, to try out the different kinds for yourself.

Review: Moms in Mind Sarong Sling (Baby Carrier) | Mummy's Reviews
Review: Beco Baby Carrier (Butterfly 2 DUO) | Mummy's Reviews
Review: Baby Slings & Carriers | Mummy's Reviews

babybull

For newborn, I used a ring sling. Baby's still light, so don't need hubby to carry. I cam even sling baby and use toilet.

Then when baby's heavier, I used Beco Butterfly II. Similar to Ergo, lets baby sit in it, not dangle by crotch. The shoulder straps suit my petite frame better than Ergo. Hubby loves it too.

I've the Combi 4-way carrier but didn't use it too -- baby dangles, not ergonomic.

You should visit babyslingsandcarriers.com, shop in Square 2, to try out the different kinds for yourself.

Review: Moms in Mind Sarong Sling (Baby Carrier) | Mummy's Reviews
Review: Beco Baby Carrier (Butterfly 2 DUO) | Mummy's Reviews
Review: Baby Slings & Carriers | Mummy's Reviews
Haha I did that too - sling my baby and use the toilet at the same time. But cos my girl wanted to be in the sling all the time whenever she was colicky, needed my hubby to take over and give me a break. =) Otherwise I would have gone crazy man... luckily the sling works wonders in calming her. Planning to use sling with my 2nd baby due in September too... Will be bringing the sling to the hospital!

I'm tempted by the Beco Butterfly! but went for Ergo cos it looks more "manly", especially now that I can't carry my girl anymore as I'm already in 3rd trimester. So hubby is the main person using. I showed pictures of Beco Butterfly II online and he wasn't too interested.. even though he's perfectly fine with using a super guniang ring sling! =)

Last edited:

otterised

My friend tried both Combi and Ergo, and she said Ergo was so much better, a total saver for her, the most common in SG is probably Babybjorn, but it's got very mixed reviews. In the end I went for Beco Butterfly II, bought it online, will let you know when baby is out and have tried it out :). I know one mommy is selling Beco Gemini here too, she said it's better than beco butterfly cos baby can face out, but then it has a lower weight allowance and I've read that babies in facing out position can never be ergonomically comfortable anyway.

WinterSun

O no! We got a Baby Bjorn from US and plan to carry that out as much as we can as not that comfortable with slings. Read reviews about Baby Bjorn and yes, got mixed reviews in the end we decide to give it a try. =P Hope will be ok. =O

otterised

Yo babe, no need to be too worried la, if your baby don't like it, juz sell it off and bless someone else who might enjoy it lor, sometimes it might be the parents who finds prob with the carriers instead, esp the comfort factor. Some carriers juz dun feel comfy enough or not suited for your body size.
O no! We got a Baby Bjorn from US and plan to carry that out as much as we can as not that comfortable with slings. Read reviews about Baby Bjorn and yes, got mixed reviews in the end we decide to give it a try. =P Hope will be ok. =O

Mummy to Baby V

The thing about Baby B. is that baby dangles by the crotch. If facing outside, the stress on the spine is even greater. It's a very popular non-ergonomic carrier due to its good marketing.

When hubby tried it at a store, I also realized the weight limit is only 12kg. (In contrast, Beco Butterfly II holds up to 18kg and is ergonomic.) My chubby boy was already 10kg at 6-7 months old, so a high weight limit is important for us.

WinterSun

Yo babe, no need to be too worried la, if your baby don't like it, juz sell it off and bless someone else who might enjoy it lor, sometimes it might be the parents who finds prob with the carriers instead, esp the comfort factor. Some carriers juz dun feel comfy enough or not suited for your body size.
Heee~ we wanna sell it away also once my baby grows outta it... Oops~ but ya guess gotta depend on my baby if she'll like it ultimately. =P

WinterSun

The thing about Baby B. is that baby dangles by the crotch. If facing outside, the stress on the spine is even greater. It's a very popular non-ergonomic carrier due to its good marketing.

When hubby tried it at a store, I also realized the weight limit is only 12kg. (In contrast, Beco Butterfly II holds up to 18kg and is ergonomic.) My chubby boy was already 10kg at 6-7 months old, so a high weight limit is important for us.
Wa, your baby is growing very well! That's good! =)
Guess have to wait and see, since bought liao, no choice.... =P

I've a Pupsik Sling, MIM sling, Baby Bjorn Synergy and Ergo Performance carrier and I used them all. A sling carrier is good when baby is still small and light and baby loves to sleep in it. When baby gets heavy, you will feel the strain on one shoulder. A Baby Bjorn works fine from birth onwards but it has a weight limit of 12kg so can't use it for long. The Synergy range ensures that baby is kept cooler thanx to the netted material. I find that I tend to feel strain on my shoulders and back when using it for long walks though but I think that was due to my baby being on the heavy end of the spectrum. The Ergo is fantastic coz it really distributes baby's weight well and the max weight you can carry is up to 20kg. The Performance range is more expensive but is a softer material and I find this range better for our climate. The downside is you have to buy a separate attachment for under 5kg and you cannot face baby outwards. You can carry them facing you, sideways and on your back. Overall, I use the MIM sling and Ergo the most now. My babies are currently 16kg and 12kg.

Jheyyy

I've been using Baby Bjorn ever since my girl was born.
She likes it a lot but i feel quite stressing when i bring her out for long hours.
It felt as though i'm carrying a v heavy backpack.
Just switched to Pupsik sling recently.
Using the sling more often now as i'm trying to get her to be used to both cos she actually strongly rejected the sling at first.
But i doubt she's gonna use the sling for long as she's quite big...

llcyahoo

i use a boba carrier. love it, my gal love it also. Will carry her on my back when doing housework, and carry infront facing me when going out.