baby finger grabbing

huiyin87

my boy is nw 2mths+ and he is still wearing mittens all day long.
reason is if i remove his mittens, he will sure scratch his face, and i m afraid tat he might scratch into his eyes.

i dun know/dun dare to cut his fingernails, so i ask my elder sis to cut for him, but my elder sis gt 3kids, she is busy, so she only pop by to cut my boy fingernails maybe 2 weeks once ba.

or is dere any place where they trim baby fingernails?

i did wan to trim his nails, but i really tremble when i holding e clipper lol

i aso wan to remove e mittens for him, as it is kinda small
but all my family say dun remove, scared he will scratch himself..

and aso hw many mths does ur baby grab things?
my boy nw only responds to sounds, when i place the rattle toy near him, he dosent seem to try to grab it.
i hav tried to make him grip on e rattle, but his hands will lose grip in few seconds.
can mummies share how ur baby start to grab toys?

Jmumi

I usually does it when my boy is sleeping. Easier and safer for me to cut the nails. My Boy starting grabbing when he will in 3mth + and starts to move things from one hand to another by 4-5mths.

Frenchkitty

my boy also started grasping objects within his reach when he is end of 2mths nearing 3 mths... after grasping he will put it to his mouth..

I stopped wearing mittens for him since he is 2 mths to let him explore his fingers. I trim his nails after a feed or when he sleeps when he is more "sedated" hehe

personally..i feel its easier to cut bb nails with scissor(those with blunt tip). I tried using a clipper..cannot manage at all.

Hui Yin..think your boy is too young..think most bb-ies only started to grasp objects near 3 months. =)

chelle

I did not dare to cut intially but cannot always rely on my hubby so i finally pluck courage to cut when i have nothing to do one afternoon.
U can buy a small scissor-like nail cutter from Pigeon coz BB nails very soft, so very easy to cut actually.
Their nails grow very fast, coz i always dun dare to cut too deep, so like every 4 to 6 days need to cut

annie

yah the scissors from pigeon is great. ive been using it all along n so far no accidents *touchwood*. anyway i think u cant reply on others to help u cut your bb's nail forever cos anyway u will need to do it for her one day. they wont be able to cut their own nails for many yrs lor. how many yrs u wanna depend on others? hehe. somemore.. newborn's nails super easy to cut cos they dunno how to grab n they no control over their hands.. wait till she gets older then u will know wat is difficult lor. my girl, she will pull her hands away, cry, scream etc etc though ive never cut her flesh before! dunno y she hate cutting nails so much.. anyway i always cut for her when she is awake cos she super light sleeper.. if i try to cut her nails during her sleep, she will wake up! n also.. my mum say not good to cut nails when bb sleeping cos pantang la. u know la..(who will get their nails cut with their eyes close?). better not say it out yea hehe

apollo

u can try those scissor specially for cutting babies' nail instead of clipper... u have to learn how to cut ur baby's nails... lik what other mummies said, cut when he's slping... =)

i at 1st also scare he'll scratch his face as babies nail grow very fast but my hubby read from a book, it says it's okay for babies to scratch themselves, mitten also cannot wear too long, must take out to let their palm 'breathe fresh air' if not very sweating..

btw ds is nearly 10week++ old (nearly 11th) and he has started to grab things since a week ago, grab hanky, bean bag, pacifier etc...

MaMa_P

I let my boy wear the mitten till he was 3 months old. I only remove when the Poly nurse comment that i should take off the mitten. So he can exercise his hands, touch and feel things.
My son hands also very itchy. Loves to scratch his own face, hair and sometimes scratch his hands and legs. Then leave red scratch marks all over. See already also feel pain for him. So at the beginning wear mitten when he sleep. Cos when he sleep, he will scratch his face and head w/o us knowing it. Then every morning got mark all over the head. Very bad.
And i am quite lucky that my auntie cuts his nails every week. So i make sure his nails is short when he is at home.
Got once i tried to cut his nails. But i cut until his flesh. Opps! He cry untill so loud that my fil come into the room to see what happen. From then on, i did not cut his nails anymore. So poor thing him. So must be very careful.

huiyin87

i tried cutting his fingernails le, and i CUT his flesh out too!

OMG...

i actuallly didnt realise it at all...

and he aso nv cry( all along he aso very thick skin, sumtm we scratch him, he aso nv cry out lo)

only after tat i realise how cum his middle finger red red.. then i saw blood flowing out...

so heartpain, and regret cutting it..

mum scold me say i duno how to but still wan take his fingers play play..

but i already sat my mind firm tat i will nt let him wear mittens anymore..

so yest, i saw a scratch mark with dried blood on his face..
very sad, but i guess like all mummies say, he has to learn it?

regina koh- my baby rch 12 weeks in 2 days tm.. but he dun grab lehz..
he wil only look at toys when we shake it in front of him with e rattle sound.. but hands will nt start to grab... he only start to eat his hand..
how can i make him learn to grab things?

BbpHir3

my gal grabbing her pacifyer want she's 11days old.. (attached pic..)
lol.. but she did not really grab anything until she was more to the exploring mode.. which is bout 2+months?? cant rmb.. lol...

my mother in law and mum have been cutting my gal's nail since she was a baby.. but both of them got diff opinion on what type (scissors or clippers) to use.. both got slight "lao hua yan" somemore.. so i dont dare to let them cut liaoz.. c they cut until lyk so dangerous.. end of story, i cut dear daughter's nails myself.. infront of mother in law, use clippers.. infront of my mum use scissors.. :shyxxx::shyxxx:

Attachments

M&M

i cut my bb's nails when he is asleep or after feed when he is in sleepy mode. my mom too told me pantang to cut nails when asleep but i find it the easiest and safest to cut when he is asleep. i uses pigeon scissors too. there r cutters with magnifying scope too if u r afraid that might cut his flesh.

apollo

i tried cutting his fingernails , and i CUT his flesh out too!

OMG...

i actuallly didnt realise it at all...

and he aso never cry( all along he aso very thick skin, sumtm we scratch him, he aso never cry out )

only after that i realise how cum his middle finger red red.. then i saw blood flowing out...

so heartpain, and regret cutting it..

mum scold me say i dont know how to but still want take his fingers play play..

but i already sat my mind firm that i will not let him wear mittens anymore..

so yest, i saw a scratch mark with dried blood on his face..
very sad, but i guess like all mummies say, he has to learn it?

regina koh- my baby rch 12 weeks in 2 days tm.. but he dont grab lehz..
he wil only look at toys when we shake it in front of him with e rattle sound.. but hands will not start to grab... he only start to eat his hand..
how can i make him learn to grab things?
dont wry, u just took out his mitten, give him some time to learn... eating his hands is a very good start! cause ds also started eating hands before he know how to grab things! HAHA!! :tlaugh:

MizfitMumma

I let my boy wear the mitten till he was 3 months old. I only remove when the Poly nurse comment that i should take off the mitten. So he can exercise his hands, touch and feel things.
My son hands also very itchy. Loves to scratch his own face, hair and sometimes scratch his hands and legs. Then leave red scratch marks all over. See already also feel pain for him. So at the beginning wear mitten when he sleep. Cos when he sleep, he will scratch his face and head w/o us knowing it. Then every morning got mark all over the head. Very bad.
And i am quite lucky that my auntie cuts his nails every week. So i make sure his nails is short when he is at home.
Got once i tried to cut his nails. But i cut until his flesh. Opps! He cry untill so loud that my father in law come into the room to see what happen. From then on, i did not cut his nails anymore. So poor thing him. So must be very careful.

You shud try cuttin his nails wen he is asleep. I alwayz do dat. Its so easy..

fazlin7

my boy is now 2mths+ and he is still wearing mittens all day long.
reason is if i remove his mittens, he will sure scratch his face, and i m afraid that he might scratch into his eyes.

i dont know/dont dare to cut his fingernails, so i ask my elder sis to cut for him, but my elder sis gt 3kids, she is busy, so she only pop by to cut my boy fingernails maybe 2 weeks once .

or is dere any place where they trim baby fingernails?

i did want to trim his nails, but i really tremble when i holding e clipper lol

i aso want to remove e mittens for him, as it is kinda small
but all my family say dont remove, scared he will scratch himself..

and aso hw many mths does your baby grab things?
my boy now only responds to sounds, when i place the rattle toy near him, he dosent seem to try to grab it.
i hav tried to make him grip on e rattle, but his hands will lose grip in few seconds.
can mummies share how your baby start to grab toys?
I read in the magazine that Babies are recomended not to wear mitens when they 3 months cos to let them explore with their hands. They will learn to touch n feel with their hands.

For the baby fingernails, my wife will milk him and I will cut the fingernails. My baby l just relax like he is in the manicure. Hehehehehe

Ting

u shldnt let him wear mittens alr.
esp if they r small. if not he cant learn to grasp things, as the mittens r restricting him.
dun be afraid to cut nails, best to do it when he is slping.
u r a mother alr, cant be afraid n expect other ppl to do for u, just learn.
everyone of us start from scratch n learn thru trial n errors.
there were times in the beginning that i cut too deep for pin too. but now i learnt not to.
now your son is still too young to grab things.
rattles r too heavy for him, maybe u can try hankies first then move on to heavier objects.