Baby First Foods

Mum2Matty

Taken from Motherhood (August 2007 issue)

Feeding babies solids require care and attention, largely because of the immature body systems of infants, which may not be able to handle some foods.

Initially, solids will supplement milk but this will gradually reverse as your baby grows. Serving a good variety of foods becomes important so as to provide the nutrients necessary for your baby's growth and development.

Dos and Don'ts
What you choose to serve your baby would depend a lot on your personal experience and culture. That said; always choose foods that suit your baby's abilities and age. The texture of the foods must be appropriate, too, so that your baby can learn how to chew and swallow. In addition, take note of the following:

Do not add soy sauce or salt into baby's food. Babies do not have an acquired taste for seasoned food. Moreover, the additional sodium load may stress their kidneys.

By the same token, do not add sugar and avoid serving canned fruit in heavy syrup. Serve unsweentened fruit juices. Dilute it with water and give it to Baby in a cup instead of a bottle as the latter can cause early childhood cavities. Do not serve excessive juice as this can cause diarrhoea.

Do not add fats such as butter or oil, unless advised by your doctor or dietician. Small babies cannot digest these easily.

Introduce one food at a time. Allow a few days in between each new food you serve to baby. This makes it easier to identify any food intolerance or allergies.

Sit your baby in a chair when eating, and always supervise him.

Safety First
There are some foods that should not be served to infants at all. Never feed a baby under 12 months' old honey as it may carry botulism spores. The young digestive systems of babies are not mature enough to destroy harmful spores, which may remain active and produce a deadly toxin. Likewise, raw eggs and unpasteurised milk may be sources of infections that are dangerous to infants.

Be extra careful with foods that can cause choking. Do not serve solid foods that are hard, small and round, such as candies, popcorn and whole grapes. Whole nuts, too, should be served only after your child is three years' old. Sticky foods such as raisins and chewy sweets are often hard for young children to handle, so it's best to avoid giving these until your child is at least four years' old.

Needless to say, foods high in salt like salted crisps, carbonated and caffeine-containing beverages should be avoided. Nutritionally, they do very little good, if at all, for babies.

With some care and planning, your baby will be able to move on to slids smoothly, and get sufficient nutrition. Happy feeding!

Weaning Formula
This is an exciting time for both you and your little one. Do remember that milk should still remain the main source of nourishment. Giving solids is only meant to expose the baby to different kinds of foods and to get him accustomed to spoon-feeding. So offer a small amount of food (e.g. a quarter of a teaspoon) and gradually increase it over a few meals. Strain, blend or puree foods so that their consistency is only slightly thicker than milk for the baby to lick off the spoon easily. Here we show you how to perk up your baby's palate with these tasty and nutritious treats.

Mum2Matty

This does not apply to toddler of 1 year old plus right regarding soya sauce?
This article applies mostly to babies starting on semi-solids or weaning food. However to a toddler of 1yo plus, I'll still be very careful abt soya sauce or salt or seasonings. My son is 13months. I do not add any seasoning in his food yet as I do not want to cultivate fussy eater. All natural flavor from fresh food. His porridge still taste sweet when I cook with fish or pork plus vegetables.

vonn81

Hi thanks for the info. I'm 1st time here, i find it very interesting and informative. My baby is 5 mths now and i was keen to let her start weaning, but a little scared cos like many things to know beforehand leh. Need to read up more 1st.

phishcracker

Thank you for the info. It is advisable to let ur child eat solid food when s/he has growing teeth after 7 mths esp as it will help the teeth to grow strong and healthy.
Btw, my MIL always insist my DS will get to eat anything and everything when he is able to. I totally disagree. I dun want my DS to grow up getting used to the 'junk food' taste, aka sweet and savoury food. I am some what health conscious and I will not allow him to binge on food with empty calories esp when he is still young.

How do I convince my MIL to feed him only healthy food without oil and salt/seasoning??
She is quite old-fashion and thinks that brown rice, broccolli and tomatoes are 'torture food' for kids. oh my gawd.

snowbear

Thank you for the info. It is advisable to let ur child eat solid food when s/he has growing teeth after 7 mths esp as it will help the teeth to grow strong and healthy.
Btw, my MIL always insist my DS will get to eat anything and everything when he is able to. I totally disagree. I dun want my DS to grow up getting used to the 'junk food' taste, aka sweet and savoury food. I am some what health conscious and I will not allow him to binge on food with empty calories esp when he is still young.

How do I convince my MIL to feed him only healthy food without oil and salt/seasoning??
She is quite old-fashion and thinks that brown rice, broccolli and tomatoes are 'torture food' for kids. oh my gawd.
Maybe u can buy some healthier crackers and let your mil feed him? I saw some at an organic shop...

meiteoh

Ya, I agree, infact after 1 year we should let them take abit of soya sauce. they need sodium.
Sodium is found naturally in all foods - soy sauce is ADDITIONAL sodium. Even in adults, you only need very little sodium in your daily diet but over the centuries and through culture, many people are eating more than their required salt/sodium intake. So really, your child doesn't need soy sauce in his/her diet.

Vernece

First, I blend his Dumex milk with cereal and give him a few spoonful each meal. 2 meals per day. I give only cereal, he doesn’t like it, but when I mixed with his usual Dumex he likes it. Then I introduce solid by giving my LO something like teether.
Bake crunch with his favourite milk milk with oats/butter/egg. And cut it into bead stick shape for him. Something for him to munch, haha !!!