Baby girl vagina closing up

littlesheep

my mum did warn me before coz she heard of cases where they go for surgeries.. so when she came over, she'll regularly check coz i used to put desitin cream on my ger but now i no longer do that.. i have to hold my ger while my mum will soak cotton wool or sometimes cotton bud with warm water and clean up the area... i dont really dare to do it coz i'm afraid of hurting her..
PD asked me to put nappy rash cream..but i worry will be sticky like what your mum said. So i use calendula cream instead. Hope it works the same.

Got to get someone to distract her while i clean.
but when i opened for her, can see flesh, not the hole like what the PD showed me..hmm...
maybe i didnt stretch enough? but i scare leh...

bibiluvr

Ya.. I'm also scared to do that for her ... Think must make sure you spread very evenly and thinly.. I tried avoiding that area when I used desitin previously but somehow it will get in... So I minimize using it again...

msblur

Brought my girl for 6 mths checkup. pediatrician said i didn't clean her vagina properly so her vagina hole is closing up, i.e. sticked together.

Told me to stretch it and clean with damp cotton wool then apply nappy rash cream.

But my girl refused to let me clean cos it's painful i think.

Any mummies has such experience & advice?

Actually reason for the closing of the vagina is due to there's nt enuff female hormones in the bb's body yet, everything will be ok once the hormones kick in. :) Doc usually will prescribe a cream called Premarin for u to apply on her. :)

mandymtb

gosh, i didnt knw there's such thing too... thks for asking and sharing..

i dun rem my PD checking her on this when she went for the 6mths vaccine/checkup.... hmm.... i beta go home and check my gal tonight...

Renzie

I didn't know that this could happen! Thanks for starting this thread!

My gal had some white stuff at the sides of her vagina area, we had to use a cotton wool dipped into warm water and slowly clean it up, hubby suspect she had got it when inside me. We would make her squat down in her bathtub and clean her vagina and butt area, but didn't really inspect it. as long as from outside we see clean can already, never really try to open it up before...

mandymtb

i try to open up to see the vagina last nite and am really lost and confused!

there is a rather big hole, i think that shld be the uretha, but other than that there are 2 pieces of flesh below this big hole, with a very very very tiny needle-size dot which is not really visible... is this the vagina??

why didnt my pd check on this when she was 6 mths old??? :err:

littlesheep

Actually reason for the closing of the vagina is due to there's not enuff female hormones in the baby's body yet, everything will be ok once the hormones kick in. :) Doc usually will prescribe a cream called Premarin for you to apply on her. :)
intend to bring her back to follow-up 2 mths later. hope everything will be fine. cos she doesnt let me 'stretch' for her..can only quickly clean & put cream for her..
always battle with her til both of us sweaty.

littlesheep

there is a rather big hole, i think that shld be the uretha, but other than that there are 2 pieces of flesh below this big hole, with a very very very tiny needle-size dot which is not really visible... is this the vagina??

why didnt my pediatrician check on this when she was 6 mths old??? :err:
the tiny needle-size dot should be the vagina hole. i'm still trying to figure out to see my girl's one. kept struggling from me.

your PD should have checked. no problem so didnt say anything to u. :)

mandymtb

the tiny needle-size dot should be the vagina hole. i'm still trying to figure out to see my girl's one. kept struggling from me.

your pediatrician should have checked. no problem so didnt say anything to you. :)
thks mummy.... thing is, i dun even rem my pd checking her there.... anyway... shall get him to do so when she goes back for the booster pneumo vaccine next mth...

hopefully ur gal will be fine then! :tlaugh:

Jazzynicole

Dear mummies,

I chanced upon this thread when researching about baby girls' vagina abnormality.

Just yesterday, my 13 month-old gal's infantcare teachers noticed that hers look different from the rest of the baby girls in the centre when one of them opened up to check for rash internally (as she is having quite a bad nappy rash). They highlighted their concerns to us and my hubby is worried sick. This morning when I sent my gal to the centre, the teachers showed me where there is supposed to be a slit and my gal doesn't have. They advised me to take her to the docter. One of the teachers said she has came across this topic in her course and she understands it may need surgery.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed now until the doctor verifies.....

Last edited:

DocsNemesis

why didnt my pediatrician check on this when she was 6 mths old??? :err:
The big hole would be the vagina, the little hole would be the urethra (the urethra is really small).

For EVERYONE, please read...these are called labial adhesions and they are quite common. The only time treatment is needed is if baby is having urinary tract infections repeatedly or some other infection. Otherwise, you just leave it alone and it resolves itself over time! If there's a problem with infection, they can prescribe a cream. There is NO surgery needed (MOST of the time)! I'm in the US and we almost never do surgery for it here, it simply isn't needed and most girls resolve on their own with no treatment. If they do need surgery, they don't need to cut, they will separate pretty easily but it HURTS, so don't try to do it or let a doctor do it without pain management.

Please PLEASE don't put your baby through unnecessary surgery :( Labial Adhesions: A Guide for Parents
Medscape: Medscape Access

yummygums

its called partial labia adhesion. Its common for baby girls, some doctors will prescribe estrogen to be applied to baby's girl labia to speed up the process.

this happens to my baby girl.

yummygums

And it only needs surgery if she grows older and starts to have menstruation and the hole is still not open yet then yes need surgery. but when they grow up, it just open up by itself. my doctor from the polyclinic prescribe me the estrogen cream it helps alot that the skin becomes thinner and starts to open up. just try to pry open, not force it open after bath, it won't hurt. its some sort of tissue on the vagina area.