Baby hates porridge how

Hi all my baby gal is 8mths old now. She has been on HT brown rice cereal since she was 5.5 mths old. she had pumpikin ,spinich, brocoli , apple etc most o the times mixed into her cereal. Of late i tried to give her porridge with fish (gor fish). hmmm she eat until like want to vomit like dat then i stop giving. i tried on a few other occassions but it all end up the same eat only 1 spoonful n i ended up eating the rest. i tried giving porridge with the veg mentioned above but it doest work even w/o the fish........... i tried pounding e rice in the hope o breaking it up b4 i cook so that it will be smoother but no use i also tried cooking in slow cooker for 2 hrs it doesnt work as well .................... what shld i do? is there a need for concern that she will not accpet solid food in the future?

And also she has 2 small teeth growing on her lower gums n grabs whatever she has n hand n chew. can i get her teething biscuits? what brand is gd n hw often shld i give it to her????

i also bought the bonjela gel. i read that the instruction on e box says massage on the sore area n apply nt more than 6 times a day. hmmm hw often shld i apply then? n do i apply @ the growing teeth area?? she is likes chewing almost everywhere inside her mouth n the sides so apply e whole gum or?????

pardon me for the silly questions but your advice will really helps .......tia

apollo

Hi all my baby gal is 8mths old now. She has been on HT brown rice cereal since she was 5.5 mths old. she had pumpikin ,spinich, brocoli , apple etc most o the times mixed into her cereal. Of late i tried to give her porridge with fish (gor fish). hmmm she eat until like want to vomit like dat then i stop giving. i tried on a few other occassions but it all end up the same eat only 1 spoonful n i ended up eating the rest. i tried giving porridge with the veg mentioned above but it doest work even w/o the fish........... i tried pounding e rice in the hope o breaking it up before i cook so that it will be smoother but no use i also tried cooking in slow cooker for 2 hours it doesnt work as well .................... what shld i do? is there a need for concern that she will not accpet solid food in the future?

And also she has 2 small teeth growing on her lower gums n grabs whatever she has n hand n chew. can i get her teething biscuits? what brand is good n hw often shld i give it to her????

i also bought the bonjela gel. i read that the instruction on e box says massage on the sore area n apply not more than 6 times a day. hmmm hw often shld i apply then? n do i apply @ the growing teeth area?? she is likes chewing almost everywhere inside her mouth n the sides so apply e whole gum or?????

hav u let her try plain porridge? i think mayb the texture is diffe from cereal thus she is not used to it.

teething rusk: i gave ds Heinz teething rusk.
teething gel: last time a pd prescribedds Dentinox and though the instruction stated can apply every 20min but we stick to the pd's instruction which is 3x per day. i usually will only apply when he is super canky and i confirm he is teething. will check where is the teething area and apply if not i will just swipe the gel on his gums (all over) =P

jojoki

hi maybe shes not very ready for solid? it takes time to acquire the taste n texture.. my bb now at 15mths just started taking a small rice bowl of porridge. at 8 months only a few spoonfuls.. be patient still a baby .. milk should still b the primary diet. Its more of an introduction to other food.

you can give her fruit purees first, like steamed apples, pears, cherrys n peach was my bubs favourite, or avocado, or steamed egg yolk. steamed spinach.. porridge can do with later. my 2 cents worth..

Domique

I think also maybe it's the texture. I need to blend Alarics porridge so he willing to eat as he was having smooth cereal all the while.
Try that!

isabelandrew

hi there, go slow? my girl only started porridge when she is near 12 mths.

i hv also started her on healthy times brown rice cereal at 8mths. then a month later, i switch to barley but she dun like. then i introduced her oatmeal, she is ok. then weeks later, i introduce her a little of organic puree. i made myself in big batches to store in freezer. slowly let her try.

one week - pumpkin puree, another carrot, potatoes, sweet potatoes, lately apples. each time i observe her for any issues.

near 12 mths, i started white rice porridge. just few spoons to let her try taste and texture. only half threadfin fish (gor fish). very small pc....

when she show more interest, i give more until now. brown rice porridge. now - i slowly add vegetables or miched pork.... one type at one time. then slowly combine.

recently i started egg yolk into porridge.

my way is a little slow but she likes it. my girl nvr reject food :)

i also praise her if she eat...

teething biscuits - i give her heiinz baby rusks - original, chicken or carrot. nice. i eat myself also..

hope above helps..

Hi all my baby gal is 8mths old now. She has been on HT brown rice cereal since she was 5.5 mths old. she had pumpikin ,spinich, brocoli , apple etc most o the times mixed into her cereal. Of late i tried to give her porridge with fish (gor fish). hmmm she eat until like want to vomit like dat then i stop giving. i tried on a few other occassions but it all end up the same eat only 1 spoonful n i ended up eating the rest. i tried giving porridge with the veg mentioned above but it doest work even w/o the fish........... i tried pounding e rice in the hope o breaking it up before i cook so that it will be smoother but no use i also tried cooking in slow cooker for 2 hours it doesnt work as well .................... what shld i do? is there a need for concern that she will not accpet solid food in the future?

And also she has 2 small teeth growing on her lower gums n grabs whatever she has n hand n chew. can i get her teething biscuits? what brand is good n hw often shld i give it to her????

i also bought the bonjela gel. i read that the instruction on e box says massage on the sore area n apply not more than 6 times a day. hmmm hw often shld i apply then? n do i apply @ the growing teeth area?? she is likes chewing almost everywhere inside her mouth n the sides so apply e whole gum or?????

Mummy to Baby V

We also started with Healthy Times cereal then moved to porridge.

For porridge, I cook a vegetable stock then use the stock to cook porridge.
Vege stock is usually made up of sweetcorn, organic carrots & celery/onion (to get rid of fishy smell). Make sure each ingredient in vege stock has been cleared of 3-7 days allergy test.

After porridge is cooked, I blend it until smooth.

I usually steam fish separately then mince or use fingers to check for bones. Very paranoid Mummy. When steaming fish, I add slices of Ginger in the steaming water to get rid of fishy smell.

So far, my boy has been feeding well. He is not fussy with food though. :)

vinder79

Hi my baby is 8 mths and i intro him porridge at 6 mths i gave him cereal starting 4 mths.Since you said your baby has been taking cereals since 5.5 mths you should intro porridge to him you.I started with white "broken"rice found in medical halls cooked with veg or apples/papaya for natural flavours to enhance taste and healty eating.(you can add fish meat if you comfortable but i recommend plain porridge first)i started by replacing the porridge first at lunch time.(Pls do not lessen milk feeds)Once he was comfortable with white rice i switched it to brown rice also cooking with fruits/veg.Also maybe try making your porridge with a rougher texture.As babies teeth rougher textures give them something to chew on so it can ease their irratation.
His meals were like this at 6 mths
6am-breast milk about 180ML
8 Plus-Cereal WITH EBM
10 Plus-breast milk
12 NOON-Porridge/Water
2pm-breast milk
4 pm-Snack steamed fruit/Veg/Biscuits and breast milk
6PM-Dinner Porridge/.water
8pm-breast milk
11PM-EBM about 180ml-240 ml
and he sleeps all the way till 6am.

Also for teething u can use the teething sticks to help ease the itch on the gums.U can give these sticks after mealtimes or when u see baby putting finger into his mouth.Why not try teethers.I actually put it in the freezer to chill it first.
But the facts are babies are different and so are their needs.Trial/error and advise is the only way you can make up your own eating plans 4 baby

Last edited:

diymummy

I agree with Domique that it could be the texture.

How lumpy is your porridge? Does it have the same texture as her cereal?

I think keep on trying to get her used to the taste.

meiteoh

1) Sounds like a texture problem. Have you considered making it smoother? Anyway, if she doesn't like porridge, it's not the end of the world. She can still get a balanced diet through other foods. Eva is not a big fan of porridge - she'll eat it but it's not her favourite. At 11 mths, she has had pizza, pasta, rice with soup, muffin, cake, pancakes, omelette, etc - all homemade.

2) Yes please. In fact, you can introduce teething rusks from 6 mths onwards (just make sure you read the label for gluten, dairy and other allergens). One of the reasons why I suggest this to new mums is that by allowing your child to eat finger food - grab the food, hold in their hands and move it to their mouths - you are allowing them to learn how to chew, swallow and handle big pieces of food. You don't need teeth to eat - they can gum foods until it's soft enough to swallow. If you're worried about choking, monitor your child - in fact, babies shouldn't be left to eat unattended - or start them off with soft small-sized pieces. I've had so many friends who wait till the last minute and then they tell me that their toddlers/babies don't know how to chew food. :\

3) As for Bonjela, it's an LA so less is better and each application will only last for 30 minutes or less. I prefer to use natural options like cold pieces of fruits, teethers and teething rusks to help with the pain.

thk you all for sharing. i bought my bonjela from gurdian but i,m nt sure if theres an adult or babies 1 cse e 1 i bought states its situable for babies from 4mths onwards n theres oso instruction on e usage like for babies 4mths n above hw shld u use it but i,m nt confident in giving cse i,m nt sure when is her gums itchy or painful or irrated from teething cse she puts plustoys soft ball n shapes cubes into her mouth all e x. whatever she can grab she will put into her mouth n bite except for teether (haiz)...............

i somehw agree its e texture prob but i hve tried slowing cooking , cooking in a pot longer , pearl rice ,pouding the rice but..........didnt work think i hve to kip trying....

hw often do u give e teething rusk??? everydae??? isit consider a snack like biscotti????

today just went cold stroage n bought the yoglait yoghurt that comes in 6 cups 2 bananas n 4 vanilla my questions
1) my mum has been giving her apple everydae abt half o a small appple like those gala type is it gd ????? as in she is having sweet stuff everydae although its natural sweetness????
2) thats y i bougth those yoghurt to try something new but if she has never taken bananas b4 shld i observe e 4 dae rule???? if so can i open 1 cup yogurt scoop a bit to try n lve the rest till e nxt dae ??? can i do so or i mux use up e yoghurt e very dae i open as in finish e rest myself ???

tia

diymummy

Yes. Teething rusks is like a snack. It's a bit salty. They need the salt to make the rusks hard.

Giving apple is good. It has vit C, fibre and other goodness. It's a healthy sweet treat. My boy eats apples everyday too. As long as her main meals are not made too sweet, she won't develop a sweet tooth. Fruits are good treats for your baby, can be used as a reward for being good too. Gala is fine. Though I know some people prefer organic. It's up to you.

Do not keep the yoghurt once opened. Finish it. You can feed her a few scoops and finish up the rest yourself.