Baby not eating dinner

Phoebii Cheng

Hi all FTWM,

my son is 13mths old and recently, his dinner intake is like half of what he used to eat and sometimes only a quarter.....he prefers milk instead....any mums face the same problems? what do you do? after work it is tiring to plan menu for my son.....and yet he refuses to finish his dinner....feel a bit frustrated sometimes, but yet i know cannot force him to eat ......sigh

lisa_ng

Hi all FTWM,

my son is 13mths old and recently, his dinner intake is like half of what he used to eat and sometimes only a quarter.....he prefers milk instead....any mums face the same problems? what do you do? after work it is tiring to plan menu for my son.....and yet he refuses to finish his dinner....feel a bit frustrated sometimes, but yet i know cannot force him to eat ......sigh
sometimes could be teething which cause lost of appetite and uncomfortable.
so they rather drink milk. :tlaugh:
so long they drink milk it's ok i thought better than they don't.

AugBoyz

Its ok for him to drink milk but dun make it into a habit.

Some babies lazy to chew thus they rather not eat, even so when they know later they will have milk which will make their stomach full. Therefore they rely on milk instead of solids.

If u suspect that ur baby is teething, u can check by feeling his gum to see whether u can fell something "poking" out of his gum OR see whether his gums are abit red or little bit swollen.

Nevertheless, try to encourage ur boy to eat more. No need to be very tasty or fanciful food. U can try to make eating fun by distracting him with some songs/actions/toys. Some parents give bribes which I personally do not like it. They will tell their child "If u eat 1 mouth, mummy will give u 1 sip of the juice."

I enourage my son to open his mouth by pretending the spoon is an aeroplane, fly around then fly into his mouth. Usually he is so amazed with the aeroplane sound i made n the flying spoon that he will laff or smile. I take this chance to fly the spoon in. Of coz u must cue him say "aeroplane flying into you mouth~~"

Hope this helps.

Phoebii Cheng

Hmmm thanks for info....

I guess could be he is teething.....but i have tried ways and means like wat you suggest, distract him with songs, sometimes i even sing but he dun want to finish his food.....

so could be oso that he is lazy to chew.....hmmm cos' whenever he nv finish his food, i would give him a bit of milk scared that he not full.....

will try again tonite.....

AugBoyz

Hmmm thanks for info....

I guess could be he is teething.....but i have tried ways and means like wat you suggest, distract him with songs, sometimes i even sing but he dun want to finish his food.....

so could be oso that he is lazy to chew.....hmmm cos' whenever he nv finish his food, i would give him a bit of milk scared that he not full.....

will try again tonite.....
next time dun immediately give milk if he dun finish his solids. U must stick to ur feeding schedule. That means if lunch time is 12pm n milk time is 2pm then stick to it. If he did not finish his solid, then milk time still 2pm. In this case he will learn that he better finish his solids otherwise will be hungry later.

Phoebii Cheng

thanks......last night my son still refuses to eat the kway teow chicken soup.....so me and hb decided not to give him milk.....until he really v hungrythen we give him milk...

hope he learns to eat his solids this way