Baby porridge

Does anyone has yummy porridge recipe to share? My baby is 2 months+ and am thinking of preparing myself for that. I cooked porridge for my first boy 7 years ago can't re bear much now and my porridge wasn't nice my boy didn't like it when baby.

Also, what age can baby eat porridge? Is it 4 months?

Has any mum used homemade chicken stock to cook the porridge in? Not sure if that's healthy if we remove the fats.

How about using homemade vegetable stock?

soapsoap

Now most parent start feeding solid food at 6 month cos Tat when bbs stomach are more develop to take solid food. Start slow with plain cereal, puree veg and fruit first before porridge

rEpuLsiOn

I started my girl with porridge when she was 4mths. For soup base I will boil ikan bilis with yellow beans and some dried scallops or corn with yellow beans and some dried scallops. Then will grate pumpkin, carrot or potato to be cooked for the porridge. So far so good she loves porridge. .

You can prepare stock using ikan bilis or those dry white silver fish.

But for 4 months, you might want to start with cereal first then puree then porridge. See whether the little one can accept or not. Most importantly not to gauge by the age, before starting to wean, baby need to be able to hold his head upright and be able to support himself in order to swallow properly :)

Thanks ladies!

I have a question hope you ladies wont mind.

We always are told not to give our babies salt right? But ikan bilis or white silver fish do have them actually. I think salt is added to them to preserve them during drying process. And dried scallop (according to a one in the seafood biz) have preservatives in them.

So I am not sure if they should really be used to make our porridge delicious.

icy_haze

Thanks ladies!

I have a question hope you ladies wont mind.

We always are told not to give our babies salt right? But ikan bilis or white silver fish do have them actually. I think salt is added to them to preserve them during drying process. And dried scallop (according to a one in the seafood biz) have preservatives in them.

So I am not sure if they should really be used to make our porridge delicious.
What I did was to soak the ikan bills for 30mins to "get rid of the salt". After 30 mins, I will pour the water away and rinse the ikan bills again before using them to boil as soup base. This will reduce the amount of salt in the ikan bills.

you can also buy the ikan bilis with less salt in it. in this way, i rinse and soak using less amount of time as compared to those salitier one. I bought mine from bencoolen street and the auntie told me to buy the less salty version better for baby.

sjchan

I also suggest to start from cereal 1st. If you worry about the salt on the ikan bilis, you can use small piece pork or chicken with vegetable (carrot, pumpkin, potato, sweet potato are less likely to be allergie for baby) to make soup base.
I do it in this way and my baby gal like my porridge very much.

Angeleye

i remember my mum used to cook porridge for my younger brother using a lean piece of pork, small portion of fish and finely chopped spinach.
potatoes are a good way to sweeten up the flavour.

Qookie

I cook porridge with carrot (nothing else) and blend everything into a smooth paste. Then i freeze it and when i feed my baby, i heat the porridge together with pureed meat/vegetable/fruit. She loves it!

mommom

I have a silly question to ask. My mil laughed at me and told me that I cannot add more than 3 ingredients in baby's porridge when she saw that I added veg, carrot, pumpkin n fish to porridge boiled with ikan bilis stock. Is it true?? I always thought that I can add any amount of ingredients as long it does not cause any allergies and is nutritious n yummy to eat.

cyberie

yup.. if new food ... u should introduce one at a time... for a period of 4 days...
If no allergy.. i see no harm in mixing various food..
i do tat all the time..

mommom,

actually nothing wrong to use so many ingredients. we always like to give more nutrients to baby. but are u cooking alot / huge portion? i am wondering how much per each ingredient u are using? for e.g pumpkin 1 oz, fish 1 oz etc?

will baby able to get enough nutrients from each vegetable if quantity is too low?

3Cmum

mommom,

Usually if I put pumpkin then won't put carrot. Alternate day. Too much beta carotene baby's skin may turn orange.