Baby pulling himself up in crib

Humpty

Hi

Think my 7mo baby boy is learning to stand. He now likes to hold onto the sides of the crib and pull himself up to standing position. And when he gets tired (usually quite fast), he will just let go, fall, and hit his head on the sides. I am worried that he might hurt himself at night when we are all sleeping. How to prevent this? :wefrown:

Verona's

Haha same here ! Mine start at 6 month plus now 8 month alr still falling but better alr , can use one hand or armpit to stable herself :) I think try to put pillows around the bed if u can ? When u r awake or something so the impact not so hard ~

allycat

Mine also started doing that when he was about 6 months plus with both the cot and the playpen. He is now going 8 months and he is able to push the stool as if he is walking :D

ping26

I don't think u should put big pillow in cot cos your baby may try to step on it. There is a small possibility of him climbing & falling out of cot, head first. He could also suffocate if he were to hit his head & fall unconscious face- down into a pillow.

We put 2 large foam mats (60x60cm type) & sandwiched them btw mattress & cot rails on one side ... until our baby decided to fold the foam mat & STEP on it. (We always remove the mats at night.) After that, we stopped using the mats. Hubby figured a small bump on head is better than head injury from falling out of cot. By then, she could almost walk steadily.

I also wrapped the rails briefly with scarves to cushion the bumps until she did something with them...

You should consider removing cot bumpers soon as some babies may try to climb by stepping on it!

summerp

My son is also doing that! He will try to stand up immediately when he wake up, even in the middle of the night. I am a very light sleeper, so i managed to wake up whenever he did that.. I am just using cot bumper but no use, will still knock his head when he fall.

He will always stand up afew times, up and down so unstable before he go to sleep... sigh..

Humpty

Yah lor my son also the same! Likes to pull himself up and play "stand-stand". He is now groping his way around the rails and moving full circles around the bed. But now the situation is a little better. He has learnt how to sit down instead of just free-falling. Agreed the bumpers aren't useful. He just pulls on them as "support" when he wants to stand. And when he falls, they don't provide sufficient cushion.