Baby refuses to take medicine

Starbat11

Dear all,

My baby refuses to take medicine. He is 10 mths old. Tried to force feed and he vomitted all the medication. Can any mummies give some suggestions? I am afraid of mixing into his milk or food as he normally dont finished them.

Thanks

Phoebii Cheng

Dear all,

My baby refuses to take medicine. He is 10 mths old. Tried to force feed and he vomitted all the medication. Can any mummies give some suggestions? I am afraid of mixing into his milk or food as he normally dont finished them.

Thanks
I also face the same problem as you, but only recently when my son really know how to struggle too....

I think a few months back I started a thread on this, but cannot remember under which category, one of the mummies tried putting ribena tog with the med.

I hv tried everything too, putting sugar into the med, but still my son will spit it out. Then recently, me & hubby, use this method, hubby will carry my son, I will hold the syringe (small one, abt 2.5ml type) tilt my son's head, squirt the med in then pinch his nose, till he really swallow the med, then we let go....

It is cruel, but no choice, cos' recently my son got on off fever and throat got infected....at night he cannot sleep, we also cannot sleep...if we don't give him med

chiro

ya..my son was like tat also...we force it down lor.,.carry him on my arms and my hubby put the syringe in his mouth...and lift him up to sit down after the medicine went in his mouth so that he wont get choked..

he will try other tricks like spit out...

johanan was so paranoid that he shuns plastic items like plastic cup cos the medicine was orange in colour

candy_ian

When Ian was down with viral fever some one bk when he was ard 10 months he resisted the syringe n took medicine using cup or spoon which he readily opens his mouth but when he turned 1 after his Jab I usually give him panadol he's ok with syringe.. So I really dunnoe they change their habits n preferences once in a while

LoVeS

u still can force feed but u muz gif the amount really little each time so tat ur kid wont vomit the medicine out~

LoVeS

I'm facing this problem too.

Try spoon-feeding the meds. It works for my girl, sometimes.
i tink spoon feed is harder bcoz sum of them even refused to open their mouth where as springer can get in the mouth even when they dun open their mouth :tlaugh:

Justina

My boy was 14 months when we tried all ways to feed him. Tough.

BUT we never thought that he would simply take from spoons without any hassle. At 18months now, he loves medicine.... :)

Just try spoon feeding. Use a new spoon that baby has never seen before. He'll be curious to open his mouth. Hopefully!

Ting

try spoon feeding, if not, force feed with syringe but maybe insert 1 ml at a time. then give him water.
if he doesnt open his mouth, pinch his nose, then bobian hv to open mouth. :)

Starbat11

Thanks mummies. My boy is teething so he hates the spoon oso. Its a tough war esp during meal times. I force open his mouth to put the medicine in but he will struggle to close and even bite my finger =(

epicurean

Thanks mummies. My boy is teething so he hates the spoon also. Its a tough war esp during meal times. I force open his mouth to put the medicine in but he will struggle to close and even bite my finger =(
Hi Starbat11,

What works for my son is his medicine bottle (either Nuby or Munchkin brand). It's like a miniature milk bottle so I mix the med with his usual milk and he takes the med bottle first then followed by his regular feed.

k-mom

my girl also hated us squirting the syringe into her mouth and vomited like a merlion. one day, i just let her play with the syringe in her mouth (she loves putting things in her mouth). she started chewing the syringe and some medicine squirted out. then she realized that she likes the taste and started sucking the syringe (seriously!). now i just give her oral medicine like that. no need to struggle anymore. thank goodness it worked for us.

but i still have trouble giving her nose drops - hehe

Starbat11

Hi Starbat11,

What works for my son is his medicine bottle (either Nuby or Munchkin brand). It's like a miniature milk bottle so I mix the med with his usual milk and he takes the med bottle first then followed by his regular feed.
Hihi, can check what happens if he doesnt finished the med bottle feed? I am scared of mixing into his milk cos he cant finished his milk. Even if i reduce the quantity of the milk, somehow he still also doesnt finished?!?

apollo

Hihi, can check what happens if he doesnt finished the med bottle feed? I am scared of mixing into his milk cos he cant finished his milk. Even if i reduce the quantity of the milk, somehow he still also doesnt finished?!?
tt's the con point for adding medi into milk. cos if he cant finish the milk, means he didnt finish the recommended dosage for the medi. mayb u can make just 30-60ml of milk and add the medi into it.

epicurean

Hi Starbat11,

The medicine bottles are extremely miniature versions of the milk bottles with volume ranging from 10 to 15ml, precisely to minimise the possibility of the child not finishing the med & to avoid wastage (eg. med coating a regular milk bottle). Coz my boy takes his seizure med every 12 hours, I syringe the 5ml of med into the med bottle, pour in a wee bit of milk & shake it to mix it all up like a cocktail. His neuro, who has seen him taking that bottle before, is always highly amused by how tiny the bottle is and she calls it his strawberry milkshake that he takes before his usual milk feed!

Here are the photos of the 2 types of med bottles for a visual reference:

Attachments

diymummy

Hi Starbat11,

The medicine bottles are extremely miniature versions of the milk bottles with volume ranging from 10 to 15ml, precisely to minimise the possibility of the child not finishing the med & to avoid wastage (eg. med coating a regular milk bottle). Coz my boy takes his seizure med every 12 hours, I syringe the 5ml of med into the med bottle, pour in a wee bit of milk & shake it to mix it all up like a cocktail. His neuro, who has seen him taking that bottle before, is always highly amused by how tiny the bottle is and she calls it his strawberry milkshake that he takes before his usual milk feed!

Here are the photos of the 2 types of med bottles for a visual reference:
I saw the Munchkin one at Isetan Parkway! :D