Baby suddenly starts to wake up in the night crying

nancy

Hi,

My baby (6 and 1/2 months old) has been sleeping through the night since 3 months ago. However, for the past 1 week till now, she has been waking up 1-2 hr into her night sleep (after her last feed) crying pretty badly and I have to nurse her to sleep. Then she will wake up in the middle of the night (3 plus), crying again. Even after patting her, the cries got worse. I tried to ignore her cries for awhile and the cries would subside but then would get worse again. In the end, I have to nurse her to sleep again (despite giving her water which also cannot pacify her).

I have read up baby books which have given me some causes of it (eg learning a new skill and wanting to practise it; overtiredness; not feeding enough in the day; teething) and possible ways to address the issues.

Is there anyone who also experienced similar problem like mine? What did you do? How long will this crying feat last?

I'm bringing my baby to KL this coming Friday and am afraid she will cry in the middle of the night and disturb the hotel guests staying beside my room.

Mummy to Baby V

She could be going through the 6-month growth spurt. Growth spurt usually lasts 3-7 days. If the crying at night continues more than 7 days, she may be nursing at full capacity yet still doesn't get enough calories to last through the day and night, so it may be time to start introducing solid food to supplement breastmilk.

Our boy cried badly about 2 times at night whenever a teeth was erupting, it took several nights per tooth. After the tooth erupted, he'd sleep well until another another tooth disturbed him.

When he was learning a new skill, I'd let him practise as much as he'd like to in the day, so that he doesn't try to do that in the middle of the night.

I'm used to nursing the fussy boy to sleep in the middle of the night, if patting doesn't settle him & just before he wakes himself crying.

Consider requesting for a corner room in the hotel for more privacy?
Let the hotel staff know that baby may cry at night, so they may allocate u a room perhaps beside empty ones. (It's normal that babies cry at night anyway.)

Have a safe and enjoyable trip to KL (my new home). ;)

Cheers,
Mummy to BabyV
Win a Modern Cloth Diaper worth $30 at Mummy's Reviews

nancy

Thanks so much for answering my questions. My baby is probably teething (has been biting and drooling for past few weeks) and the teething gel does not help much. When she cries, she likes to produce the "grrrrr" sound, esp at night when she wakes up suddenly. Can this be considered a new skill? I have been giving my baby solid food for a month already. When I nurse her at night during her crying feat, she will drink a lot of my breast milk. Probably she did not have enough during the day.

Plus my hubby and I have been bringing her out almost daily. Guess we may overtire her (but even at days when we stayed home, she would still behave the same way).

As for my KL trip, I will be going up with 3 other families (my friends) but still very paisei to disturb them too. So have to pray hard that the Lord will bless my baby with good night sleeps there and also in Spore.

apollo

Thanks so much for answering my questions. My baby is probably teething (has been biting and drooling for past few weeks) and the teething gel does not help much. When she cries, she likes to produce the "grrrrr" sound, esp at night when she wakes up suddenly. Can this be considered a new skill? I have been giving my baby solid food for a month already. When I nurse her at night during her crying feat, she will drink a lot of my breast milk. Probably she did not have enough during the day.

Plus my hubby and I have been bringing her out almost daily. Guess we may overtire her (but even at days when we stayed home, she would still behave the same way).

As for my KL trip, I will be going up with 3 other families (my friends) but still very awkward to disturb them too. So have to pray hard that the Lord will bless my baby with good night sleeps there and also in Spore.
which teething gel u using now? ds is using Dentinox, can get it from pharmacy. whenever ds is theething and suffer from the pain, once the gel rub onto his gum, he stop crying immediately and will play, slp etc... most babies will get cranky when they r teething...

as for overtired, could be too... try not to bring her out for long hrs =)

jojoki

since birth my bb wakes up at least 3 times everynight to nurse!! its been 9 mths di... n the first hour of her sleep is usually very restless. will keep waking..!! shes like me hard to get good sleep.

chiro

amen to good nights sleep

As for my KL trip, I will be going up with 3 other families (my friends) but still very awkward to disturb them too. So have to pray hard that the Lord will bless my baby with good night sleeps there and also in Spore.

nancy

I am using Dentinox too but not that useful. My girl will stop for a while and then wail again.Sigh.. Try giving her all sorts of teethers and she will bite and then get frustrated becos unable to bite them properly and hence start throwing tantrums. Double Sigh.. So I just let her bite those toys in her exersaucer or if we're out, give her a pacifier.