Baby Yogurt

Gumi

Hi Mummies
Dear son is now 10 month's plus old and I've just started to feed him yogurt.
Just want to find out, can I let him have it every day and can I store the balance yogurt in the fridge and for how many days then? TIA.

meiteoh

Yes, you can give him yoghurt every day (if he's not allergic to it) and it can keep for up to a week or 10 days at most although I would recommend that you buy small tubs and store for a max of two days (like with fruit purees).

Gumi

Hi meiteoh
Thanks for the info. I've started giving him on last Saturday and I've actually bought those small cup about 4oz, is it ok to let him finish all? TIA.

nancy

Hi meiteoh
Thanks for the info. I've started giving him on last Saturday and I've actually bought those small cup about 4oz, is it ok to let him finish all? TIA.
sorry to intrude... but may I know which type of yogurt to buy? I am pondering to give m,y girl yogurt but dunno which brand/type to get for her

meiteoh

If your baby can finish it, why not? :)

Nancy, I'd go for full fat yoghurt rich in probiotics. I avoid those with flavours as they contain filler ingredients especially things like sugar and such. I bought Paul's Original plain yoghurt to give to Eva this afternoon for lunch - mixed it in with some plum puree coz she hasn't poop in two days so am hoping this will help her poo.

Gumi

Hi Nancy
I've bought Organic Yo Baby Yogurt for my boy when I happen to be at Paragon Market Place. There are altogether 6 cups with different type of fruits flavour and I bought 3 peach and 3 pear flavours respectively at $16.50...abit expensive to me though.

I read from the forum here that some mummies gave their babies Baby Yogplait, Farmer's Union Natural Yogurt or Greek Yogurt which can be found at Cold Storage, those big ones. Those normal NTUC do not have it though, think can only get it at NTUC finest? You can also go down to Market Place at Tanglin Mall which they carry alot of different brands too.

jasobias

I use to give my boys yoplait..i think its abt $5 plus for 6 small cups.
My baby was eyeing her brothers eating their current yogurt now..fernleaf..so i gave her a taste n next thing i know she had finished a cup n still looking for more..zzzzzzzzzzz

Frenchkitty

my boy loves yogurt. I started on him when he was 6mths old and he has no allergies to it.
I only buy natural plain yoghurt with live cultures.

What I do is add fruits to the yoghurt and blend them, divide them into serve-size portions in food stackable containers and keep in fridge over the next 2-3days

cmeilim

how long can a big tub of pauls or farmer's union yoghurt be used for once opened? only my baby is eating the yoghurt and we feed him only a few times per week (ie not every day) so my first tub (500ml) has been opened for abt 2 weeks already. its expiry date stated on the packaging is this sunday.

nancy

how long can a big tub of pauls or farmer's union yoghurt be used for once opened? only my baby is eating the yoghurt and we feed him only a few times per week (ie not every day) so my first tub (500ml) has been opened for about 2 weeks already. its expiry date stated on the packaging is this sunday.

Think you better finish up the yogurt asap before it expires this Sunday. In addition, make sure that the cover for the yogurt is tightly sealed and put away from those raw food, esp those which give off smell.

meiteoh

Woah, two weeks is a long time already.

For adults, it's still okay but for babies, I don't dare feed Eva anything that's been opened and sitting in the fridge for more than 3 days, even yoghurt. So I buy smaller tubs specially for her (around 200 ml) and bigger ones for my hubby. Suggest either finish it by end of this week or don't feed lor.

And yeah, try to buy those with covers instead of the foil covering. Better for sealing and so forth.

norfen

I bought the yoplait yoghurt from Causeway Pt's cold storage. Its stated there that its suitable for 6mths and up.
6 small tubs for $5 plus.. in banana and mango flavour.
Fed her some for the first time yesterday and she loves it. Funny looking at her smacking her lips and anticipating for more. :001_302:

stonston

For natural plain yogurt, once opened, must use within a week.

What I normally do is to sterilise some glass bottles & caps, then use a sterilised metal spoon to portion out the yogurt. This way, can keep the yogurt till the expiry date instead of use within a week from opening :)

cmeilim

unfortunately the plain yoghurt sold in supermarkets all seem to come in at least 500ml or 1 litre tubs....the smaller tubs all have additional flavouring which i don't wish to introduce to Ian yet.

cmeilim

For natural plain yogurt, once opened, must use within a week.

What I normally do is to sterilise some glass bottles & caps, then use a sterilised metal spoon to portion out the yogurt. This way, can keep the yogurt till the expiry date instead of use within a week from opening :)
stonston, thanks for your suggestion. i will afopt your method for the next tub. meanwhile the current tub, hubby and i will eat it or we will just dump. =)

kady

my boy loves yogurt. I started on him when he was 6mths old and he has no allergies to it.
I only buy natural plain yoghurt with live cultures.

What I do is add fruits to the yoghurt and blend them, divide them into serve-size portions in food stackable containers and keep in fridge over the next 2-3days
hello, i wanna ask ah, did u taste b4 ah? ibought this brand exactly same as your picture shown ah fer myself to eat and it taste damn sour so i throw the whole cup away thinking that it's spoilt is it vvvvvvvvvv sour ah? Haven pass expiry date though.

cmeilim

we are feeding this same brand of yoghurt to my boy. at first he would grimace. then when i add fruit puree that i made myself - cherry, strawberry, banana - he was fine and enjoyed it very much. he ate a lot of it! but my hubby tried it with strawberry puree and couldn't finish it cos he found it too sour still. i think if babies' palette are not spoilt by all the sweet-tasting food yet, they should be able to consume the yoghurt.

jasobias

My baby too hates the plain yogurt...she ate it n was coughing n making faces..i tried it n made the same faces..hahhaha.i dont like it either

meiteoh

Plain yoghurt is sour because it contains no added sugar. In fact, yoghurt is sour coz it's well, milk that has gone bad in a good way. :p