bad flu during pregnancy

ratna

Hi all mum to be,

Anyone of you been experiencing flu? Im having flu for these few days. Im in my 15 weeks.

Any thing to take to prevent or reduce flu? I not sure if can take any pill cause dont want to harm the BB.

LoVeS

Hi all mum to be,

Anyone of you been experiencing flu? Im having flu for these few days. Im in my 15 weeks.

Any thing to take to prevent or reduce flu? I not sure if can take any pill cause dont want to harm the BB.
i had flu twice during tis pregnancy alrdy so far n i am pretty sure it kinda hard to prevent as our immune system now is weaker BUT taking more vit C might helps.

As for medications, u haf to tell ur doc tat ur preg so tat they can gif u medicines tat r safe to take during preg coz sum medications r harmful to bb.

CanCanMum

Hi all mum to be,

u will need to eat more fruits to help build up immunity...vitamin C.

meanwhile see a doctor and tell him to prescribe medicine safe for baby.

take care.

shiseru

I had very bad flu for the past few days. Most likely it started after I ate 2 big durians, then the condition worsen after i came back from KK check up. I thought I kena H1N1 man! T_T

Anyway, the doctor gave me MILD flu medicine, then I took lots of rest and drink lots of fluids/Vit C. I so worried it would affect the baby lohz. :nah:

izanyzam

I noticed that for the past few days,once i wake up,i will have this feeling as if my head weighs a TONNE...!!! And i will have very runny nose and will sneeze so loud till my cat thinks that im actually yelling and scolding her..!!! But once ive had my shower,everything clears up...!!!

karoru

i used to have very bad flu at least once a week and last at least throughout a day... to my surprise, i din have it at all during pregnancy... touch wood touch wood... hee... i suspect maybe coz of the prenatal supplements... hot drinks does help as well for flu... and i think those little drownzy yellow flu pills are safe for pregnancy... those were given by my GPs... but suggest that you may still want to check with your gynea coz each person might diff...

recently i had flu and i went to KK and took some medicine, also must have lots of rest and sleep if got flu during pregnancy, also avoid cold drinks and don't on aircon. aircon really worsen the flu.

It's ok de. if u see gp/gynae, they will only prescribe the 'light' flu medicine. (yellow in colour). They know what's suppose to give and what's not..

Otherwise, if it's every morning wake up also sneezing kind, like sensitive nose, i got the nasal spray from gp. it's green in colour ard 20+

recently i had flu and i went to KK and took some medicine, also must have lots of rest and sleep if got flu during pregnancy, also avoid cold drinks and dont't on aircon. aircon really worsen the flu.
Ya, doc also prescribe the yellow tablet.. That 1 is very gd.. can also treat rashes.. just remember eat moderately.. not too much can ler..

shiseru

Actually, stuffy/running nose during pregnancy can be a common occurrence I heard. But at this moment with the virus spreading in the community, it can be very scary!

Just last week, there was a six months' pregnant 22-year-old woman developed pneumonia and tested positive for H1N1 at a private hospital then she was admitted to Kandang Kerbau Hospital on 13 July.

adelynn

Hey Dear

I was at KKH 24-HR Women's clinic yesterday cuz i had been having bad flu, sore throat and persistent high fever for a few days. When Hubby & i were there, we realized that they are alot of preggie women there with the same symptoms.

Doc said that there's a strong flu bug going on, and with the pregnancy, it can get worse. she gave me flu medication,fever and sore throat (very mild ones) tested me for H1N1 (just as precautionary measure) and started me on tamiflu (also as precautionary).

But as what other mummies/mummies-to-be are saying, drink lotsa fluids, take vitamin C and rest. The most important thing to rid a flu/fever/cough is sufficient rest.

adelynn, you got the tamiflu shot??
oh just to add on, try to avoid air-con and bathe in hot water cos the steam will ease your nose alot specially at night.

adelynn

adelynn, you got the tamiflu shot??
oh just to add on, try to avoid air-con and bathe in hot water cos the steam will ease your nose alot specially at night.
KKH just called me, said i was tested positive for H1N1 :( but since on the tamiflu, so should begin to recover.
they didnt give me the shot, they gave me the oral medication, to be taken over 5 days.

fever's beginning to subside now still having slight. but keep breaking out in cold sweat, making my sheets n pillows all wet.

shiseru

Kandang Kerbau Hospital just called me, said i was tested positive for H1N1 :( but since on the tamiflu, so should begin to recover.
they didnt give me the shot, they gave me the oral medication, to be taken over 5 days.

fever's beginning to subside now still having slight. but keep breaking out in cold sweat, making my sheets and pillows all wet.
Oh dear, pregnant women are at a greater risk than the rest of the population of suffering serious complications from H1N1, please do take care. Are you feeling better now?

How come never give jab only give oral medication?

Kandang Kerbau Hospital just called me, said i was tested positive for H1N1 :( but since on the tamiflu, so should begin to recover.

fever's beginning to subside now still having slight. but keep breaking out in cold sweat, making my sheets and pillows all wet.
oh my, try to rest more and also isolate yourself so that your family members not infected and they can take care of your needs.

adelynn

Oh dear, pregnant women are at a greater risk than the rest of the population of suffering serious complications from H1N1, please do take care. Are you feeling better now?

How come never give jab only give oral medication?
also not sure why they never give jabs but give oral medication :(
the lucky thing is that cuz we pregnant woman are classified as high risk, so as prevention they started me on tamiflu before even tested positive...

fever's starting to go away, not so high at 38.5 and above. slowly coming down to the low 38++ high 37++ hopefully tmr the fever will go away.

the doctor who called said nowadays H1N1 very common, so just becareful...

tryin to isolate off from my family but they also very worried for me keep wanting to check on me.
worse thing is hubby's away on business travel so i'm all alone at home, makes it even worse...

:(

since i got flu last month i was told about what i should do if i really get H1N1, you only need to isolate yourself in a room with bathroom, your family still can live with you and it's better to have family around as they can bring food and water to you, remind you to eat medicine etc..

hope you get well soon.

peacefulgal

for preggie ladies like myself, must we always go KK whenever we have initial flu-like symptoms? i woke up with a painful throat and a bit of stuffy nose (no fever) this morning. should i visit the GP downstairs or go KK first?

summerp

i had sore throat yesterday and today starts having running nose.. maybe later will go see back to see GP again and see what he says.... i also duno if i should go KKH at this moment...

cocraze

for preggie ladies like myself, must we always go KK whenever we have initial flu-like symptoms? i woke up with a painful throat and a bit of stuffy nose (no fever) this morning. should i visit the GP downstairs or go KK first?
i had sore throat yesterday and today starts having running nose.. maybe later will go see back to see GP again and see what he says.... i also dont know if i should go Kandang Kerbau Hospital at this moment...
Hi peacefulal,summerp,
I thought I'd just share my experience. I had sore throat last Wed and promptly went to see my gynae(which is near my place). told him I usually had this 'pattern' of sore throat followed by running nose/cold/flu followed by cough due to itchiness in throat. He prescribed me medicine for all three, but said it was too early to prescibe anibiotics since not sure whether it is viral infection yet.

On thurs, my nose starting 'running', cough started on friday (like clockwork!), until I was coughing through'out the night on Sat. I was quite terrified I had gotten H1N1, though I didnt run high fever. I had no choice but to go back to the clinic to see another doctor at the same medical chain (my gynae doesn't see patients on Sunday) who gave me antibiotics for the cough. He didn't seem to feel I may have H1N1 symptoms, seemingly cos of the absence of high fever. (funnily, I registered a low-grade fever temp of 37.5 deg C at the clinic using the ear thermometer, but was always below 36.5 deg C when I measured myself at home regularly using my own ODT under my tongue)

I think in all the public education (newspaper, radio) by MOH so far,they advise pregnant women to see their gynae, but I guess if too troublesome to get appointment, seeing a GP should be fine. just make sure it is one of the clinics on the MOH "pandemic preparedness" list. My thoughts are that it may not be worthwhile to specially make the trip to see your gynae if have to travel and wait (which is quite a terrible thing to suffer when you are feelin sick!). Just need to make sure highlight that you are pregnant, and to check with them that the medicine prescribed is safe for you and your baby.

Drink lots of water and take more fruits and vegetables. I've been drinking so much plain water that I feel like puking sometimes... Ive never drunk 2l daily for consecutive days in my whole wide life....