Ban Mien

annie

Am currently living overseas and hubby loves ban mien so wanna try making it myself. anyone has any experience making it? i found a few recipes online but then there are a few different versions.. i wonder which is the closest.. anyone tried making it? care to share the recipe? n also the chilli's recipe hehe. TIA

diymummy

Last time when I was in UK some friends made ban mian.

They used flour, eggs and water. Mix all together. I don't know the proportions though... Coz they only estimated it and used the colour of the dough as a judge.

Can't help with the chili. But we use Thai sweet chilli to go with the minced pork and stuff. Add in some chopped garlic into the chilli to enhance taste. :)

camom

I think there's some vinegar added to the chilli to give it that distinctive taste. I like mine with cut red chilli padi actually.

annie

how bout the stock? is it purely ikan billis stock or need to add soya beans?

chrish

Hey i just made Ban Mian the other day and i used pure Ikan Billis stock..

as for the dough i got the recipe from the net..

it's made using plain flour, 1egg, water, salt to form into a dough.

see the version i've made :)

As for the chilli, i used normal chicken rice chilli with some freshly cut cilli padi for the 'shiokness'..well it works for my taste lah lol

Attachments

annie

looks delicious! does it taste similar to those sold in foodcourts? how many ikan billis did u use and how much water? how long did u boil the stock?

chrish

it is yummy! I used quite a big handful of the fish cos im making for myself only :) I actually like the crunch of the fried ones so i used a little more hehe..you can add a tad lesser of you like though..but i believe the fish gives the stock more flavour :) I boiled for about 30minutes :) plus also adding some 1/2 chicken stock cube :) Try it yourself! Nothing beats local food when you're away from SG! I know! hehe

chrish

opps..forgot to reply you on the how much water..

i used about a big soup bowl of boiling water....maybe 2.5 normal rice bowl..

and yes it taste like the foodcourts one minus the lots of MSGs hehe..

meiteoh

I made some ban mein as well when I was in Switzerland. You can find it under my blog here as mee hoon kueh. :)

I made by own stock by frying ikan bilis in some oil, then adding water, salt & pepper to taste. The condiments are mushrooms, mince, ikan bilis and some chinese cabbage. Noodles also handmade myself - the key to nice ban mein apart from the soup is the thickness and taste of the noodles. Took me a few tries to get it right but am glad I finally did! :)

annie

wah so many ppl tried making before! im gonna try this weekend! hehe. i told a fren last night that i wanna make n end up she tried tonight n took some photos! look soooo delicious.. *drool*